Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>AM Kindergarten/Outside Time
Country Kids 07:44 AM 09-11-2013
Running into a problem I've never had in all the years I have done childcare. Our elementary school has decided to make my area AM kindergarten two weeks into the school year. To many children for the PM kindergarten so the children in my area will be transfered to the AM class.

My dilema is when can I get these little ones outside! They will leave my house at 8:15 to get the bus and be back at 12:15. Then we will be having lunch from 12:30-1:00 and then be laying down for nap. I was thinking of pushing nap to 1:30 or 2;00 but all my kiddos have not been having nap issues for so long I really don't want to mess with naptime.

The AM kindergarteners only get a 10 or 15 min recess and the rest of the time is class time. I'm afraid they will be coming back in wound so tight from being in school all morning that they will need some running time before laying down.

Those that have AM kindergarteners, how do you get them some outdoor time?
DaycareKim 07:48 AM 09-11-2013
My AM preK girl get off the bus at my house at 11:45. We have been doing outdoor time this week after pm snack because it's been cooling down and overcast. Not sure what we would do if it was still hot outside at that time.
Unregistered 07:51 AM 09-11-2013
I would just go on with MY schedule
MNMum 07:58 AM 09-11-2013
I had this same issue - but it was my child who was the Kindergartner. In nice weather, dck ate at 1200. We went outside from 1230-1pm. Everyone else went to nap at 1:15, my child ate and then went down about 1:30-1:45. I'd say do whatever works best for the majority of your kids. I wouldn't mess with naptime if it is going well the way you have it!
Heidi 08:03 AM 09-11-2013
It's sad that they only get 15 minutes of outdoor time at school! What happened to play 60?

I would just get them outside after nap. You don't want to wind them all up before lunch and nap. Don't change those.
Country Kids 08:20 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
It's sad that they only get 15 minutes of outdoor time at school! What happened to play 60?

I would just get them outside after nap. You don't want to wind them all up before lunch and nap. Don't change those.
The only thing Heidi about doing it after nap is most of my kiddos leave between 4:00/4:30 and we do snack 3:45 because of the SA. I only have one till 5:30. Then they all are going to other activities-gymnastics/dance/home to tv/etc. I'm not sure many do the outdoor time after they leave here-especially in the winter when its dark when they get home.
daycarediva 09:52 AM 09-11-2013
We have mandatory full day K here, so this is a non issue for me and ALL of my kids get up from nap, have snack and go outside to play until pick up.

Can you allow them time between nap and snack to play outside? Can they play outside until pick ups?
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:08 AM 09-11-2013
I do up from nap, snack and then outside until pick up or last kid standing
Even though they may only have 15 min of recess I am sure the kindergarten teacher has them moving!
cheerfuldom 10:36 AM 09-11-2013
I would do outside time after pm snack. but dont put all this pressure on your shoulders. these kids do have parents, who can take them out in the evening for a walk or out to the park on the weekends. just do what is best for your schedule and your kids. I would bet these kids will be so ready for a nap after lunch.
kelsey's kids 11:08 AM 09-11-2013
I ahve 2 am kindergarteners and by the time they get back to daycare at 145 we have lunch and then lay down as my kids always sleep for 2.5 hours and I get sa at 315 I want them to get as much uninterrupted sleep as possible so it is lunch then nap. But they are generally the first to fall asleep and the last to wake up do to their busy morning.
Blackcat31 01:19 PM 09-11-2013
Here is a similar thread with the same issue: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64719
countrymom 03:53 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would do outside time after pm snack. but dont put all this pressure on your shoulders. these kids do have parents, who can take them out in the evening for a walk or out to the park on the weekends. just do what is best for your schedule and your kids. I would bet these kids will be so ready for a nap after lunch.
this. I never understood why there is so much pressure for us to bring them outside, why can't the parents bring their own kids outside. Also, they will get alot of time outside at school, even thou it says 15 min. our school stays longer outside and they do things outside so don't worry.
Cradle2crayons 05:42 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
this. I never understood why there is so much pressure for us to bring them outside, why can't the parents bring their own kids outside. Also, they will get alot of time outside at school, even thou it says 15 min. our school stays longer outside and they do things outside so don't worry.
I agree. Even those with states that require x amount of outside time, that likely doesn't or may not apply if you only have them half day. If you are required to do it, call your licensor and ask.

I don't get most of my daycare kids until afternoon anyway because I do contract care only. We do outside time after nap and then again after supper.
Familycare71 06:35 PM 09-11-2013
I had a dcb who attended half day pre school. He would return at 12:00. We ate at 12:30. So when he was coming back we were going inside to get ready for lunch. I didn't worry about making sure he had outside time with me (if it was nice and nappers allowed it-him included-we would go out in the afternoon). He wasn't here for our outdoor time- that was something his parents needed to to address as well as the school-
Country Kids 07:23 AM 09-12-2013
Really thought this over and came up with a plan.

We will keep our two hour morning outdoor time and then have snack a little earlier after nap and head out by 3:30 hopefully. This will give them that much needed running/playing time outside.

Our state implemented the 1 hour outdoor time because of so many providers doing the plop in front of the tv and the kids where doing no outdoor time at all. I have people amazed that in the summer we are outside 4-5 hours! I'm amazed back that they aren't.

I found out that my kindergarteners are also getting a new teacher! Here they are already adjusted to the one teacher and her schedule/rules/etc and now they will be getting a new teacher, class, rules, and schedule. What a mess!
Lyss 07:53 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Really thought this over and came up with a plan.

We will keep our two hour morning outdoor time and then have snack a little earlier after nap and head out by 3:30 hopefully. This will give them that much needed running/playing time outside.

Our state implemented the 1 hour outdoor time because of so many providers doing the plop in front of the tv and the kids where doing no outdoor time at all. I have people amazed that in the summer we are outside 4-5 hours! I'm amazed back that they aren't.

I found out that my kindergarteners are also getting a new teacher! Here they are already adjusted to the one teacher and her schedule/rules/etc and now they will be getting a new teacher, class, rules, and schedule. What a mess!
Glad you worked out a plan! sounds like a good idea!

I feel bad for your kindergartners and all the changes they have to deal with! Hopefully it doesn't translate into grumpy kids for you during the transition! Good luck!
Tags:nap issues
Reply Up