Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Know I Shouldn't Feel Bad But....
kpa0627 03:08 PM 05-12-2010
Ok, so I'm just really upset! I sent out a newsletter this morning informing parents that their child care rates would be changing along with some other normal info along with it. I stated that I would be giving each of them individual notes with their old tuition rate and new tuition rate for them to sign. Ok, no big deal really. This is usual for daycares to raise rates.... we all know this. Well then I had a boy who had the runs twice today (it's a policy.... stated in the parent handbook that two loose stools=go home). So it was 4pm when the second one happened so I text the mom and said you don't have to come get him now because you're almost off work but I'm letting you know so you can find someone to cover your shift tomorrow because this happened not only today but Monday. She shows up at normal time and says " I just don't know what I'm going to do about work tomorrow. it's not like he's running a fever or anything else... and he's probably just teething." I said yeah it could be that but it could also be a bacteria infection or viral infection running it's course and I don't want to subject the children to this so he can come back Friday if he is doing better. Then she said oh and also I read you are changing the rates so I told my boyfriend about that and he thinks maybe since you're doing that and can't watch my son tomorrow that it's time to find a new babysitter. I said well yes I am changing rates but yours is actually going down $5 a week. (This is because before I was charging $125 for infant-2years and now I'm changing to $135 for infant-18months and $120 for 19months-5yrs.) Her son will be 19mo. when the tuition changes so she's going from paying $125 to $120. She said oh ok well I guess I will see you Friday. I don't know I just feel really upset about this. I mean I'm doing my job and I guess I'm just being too tender hearted right now!
Former Teacher 04:30 PM 05-12-2010
Umm I am kinda torn on this actually

I agree with you the provider that yes you have to protect the children etc...however I agree with the mother since he isn't running a fever etc. What I would have done is told her when she picked him up well since So and So has had the diarrhea since Monday and tomorrow is Thursday, should he have 1 (even though policy says 2, sometimes even adults don't get the job done the first time ) he needs to be picked up immediately. Should this diarrhea continue then you will require a doctors note.

But that's just me
misol 08:05 PM 05-12-2010
Originally Posted by kpa0627:
Ok, so I'm just really upset! I sent out a newsletter this morning informing parents that their child care rates would be changing along with some other normal info along with it. I stated that I would be giving each of them individual notes with their old tuition rate and new tuition rate for them to sign. Ok, no big deal really. This is usual for daycares to raise rates.... we all know this. Well then I had a boy who had the runs twice today (it's a policy.... stated in the parent handbook that two loose stools=go home). So it was 4pm when the second one happened so I text the mom and said you don't have to come get him now because you're almost off work but I'm letting you know so you can find someone to cover your shift tomorrow because this happened not only today but Monday. She shows up at normal time and says " I just don't know what I'm going to do about work tomorrow. it's not like he's running a fever or anything else... and he's probably just teething." I said yeah it could be that but it could also be a bacteria infection or viral infection running it's course and I don't want to subject the children to this so he can come back Friday if he is doing better. Then she said oh and also I read you are changing the rates so I told my boyfriend about that and he thinks maybe since you're doing that and can't watch my son tomorrow that it's time to find a new babysitter. I said well yes I am changing rates but yours is actually going down $5 a week. (This is because before I was charging $125 for infant-2years and now I'm changing to $135 for infant-18months and $120 for 19months-5yrs.) Her son will be 19mo. when the tuition changes so she's going from paying $125 to $120. She said oh ok well I guess I will see you Friday. I don't know I just feel really upset about this. I mean I'm doing my job and I guess I'm just being too tender hearted right now!
I think that she was just bluffing and trying to guilt you into letting her bring her son tomorrow.

When she comes back in on Friday, ask her if he and her boyfriend had a chance to talk further. Then tell her that you are asking because you need to know whether to call the next person on your waiting list to tell them you have an opening.
QualiTcare 08:40 PM 05-12-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Umm I am kinda torn on this actually

I agree with you the provider that yes you have to protect the children etc...however I agree with the mother since he isn't running a fever etc. What I would have done is told her when she picked him up well since So and So has had the diarrhea since Monday and tomorrow is Thursday, should he have 1 (even though policy says 2, sometimes even adults don't get the job done the first time ) he needs to be picked up immediately. Should this diarrhea continue then you will require a doctors note.

But that's just me
i agree.

you have to think about where the parent is coming from when they have to work and their child isn't contagious - plus they're paying AND think they're getting ready to pay more. i can see where she's coming from.

if i got a letter saying the rates were changing, i'd naturally assume that meant INCREASE! i'm surprised you are lowering her rates actually. she probably is too. it probably changed things when you told her that.
kpa0627 09:04 PM 05-12-2010
See the thing is a week before i sent out the newsletter i specifically told her one on one "hey in July your rates are going from $125 a week to $120 a week since _______ is going to be 19 months now" She said oh ok that's great. so she just completely forgot that conversation i guess. but she's still upset that he can't come to daycare because he's had the runs 2 days now. who's to say he ISN'T contagioius. A recommended policy from the State of KS is if a child has runny stools they should not be in care because it could be a viral or bacteria infection. I guess I just don't understand why I'm getting the guilt trip here for trying to keep the other children and myself safe from getting sick.
kiddieshack 09:16 PM 05-12-2010
I totally agree with the provider on this one. I don't care what caused them to have diarrhea, 2 or more in my daycare...Your called and your child needs to go home. I listened to a parent many years ago when she said her little boy had loose stools because he was teething...a few days later..I guess I must of CAUGHT his teething...Cuz..I was really sick! My job is to watch healthy children. Your allowed in my Home if you have the common cold but anything that i might feel is contagious.....Your outa here.
QualiTcare 09:26 PM 05-12-2010
i would agree except for the part about anything you might feel is contagious. that's why i agree with former teacher about the doctor's note.

my son was sent home a few times because of a "rash" that wasn't contagious and i ended up having to take him to the doctor to prove that it wasn't. if we left everything up to people's feelings - kids would get sent home by the dozens for heat bumps or red cheeks.

i could see sending a child home if you think they might be contagious, but if they're willing to go to the doctor and the doctor says they aren't - that changes things IMO.

kpa, i guess the point is - i think it would've been a good idea to give her the option of getting the doctor's okay. of course, you don't think of everything until later, but for future reference. i would find that fair as a parent.
mac60 03:06 AM 05-13-2010
Seriously, who takes their child to the doctor for loose stools, unless it is an ongoing situation or other symptoms. Many families, including myself, do not have medical coverage to run to the doctor everytime for little things. I agree with Former Teacher. I also don't understand why you would lower your rates for a child that you now have to feed 2 meals a day, the cost of caring for a toddler/preschooler is more than caring for an infant whose parents supply all food and things needed.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 04:23 AM 05-13-2010
If I were working outside the home, I can see how this could be frustrating...however, as a daycare provider, In NY we are told more than 2 runny stools needs to be picked up. So in this situation you are following the state rules.
Daycare Mommy 04:32 AM 05-13-2010
Were they loose stools or diarrhea? I tell moms about loose stools, but don't exclude for it. That could be dietary or could be teeth. But if it was diarrhea (watery) then I agree 2 bouts of it in a day and it's 24 hours out at least. It could mean the difference between a nasty stomach virus running through the daycare or not. Gotta look out for everyone there not just that mom.
tymaboy 05:33 AM 05-13-2010
I agree with the provider. My old family would pull that oh he's only teething so I let it go & the next thing I knew everyone was 'teething' Not a good thing. We do not know what it is & the child does not have to have a temp to be contagious.

It would up set me knowing that they were thinking of finding other care with the thought of rates going up then change minds when they realize theirs is not.
QualiTcare 06:26 AM 05-13-2010
i wouldn't find it upsetting if they weren't happy about what they thought was a rate increase. maybe what they were paying was more than they could afford already.

money tends to influence people's decisions - all the time, with everything. it's really nothing personal.
originalkat 06:41 AM 05-13-2010
In my program, I send a child home for 2 incidents of diarreah. If they have not had any more that evening then I allow them to come back the next day. This is mostly because once in awhile we all have some loose stools and a lot of times it is caused by what we ate etc...If it continues, then you will know it is probably something contagious and he can be excluded from care.

I understand the rates and why some peoples rates may have gone down due to them entering an older age bracket. I would have worded it in the newsletter something like this since it could be confusing:

Dear Parents,
I have done some restructuring of my weekly rates in order to reflect the rising costs of providing quality care and education for the children in my care. These rate changes will take effect _______, 2010. Please see the chart below for your new rate.

Infant-18months - $135 per week
19months-5yrs - $120 per week

If you have any questions or concerns please let me know.
Thanks,

Provider
Former Teacher 06:30 PM 05-13-2010
The problem that I have is..and I mean NO disrespect to my fellow posters..that do you really believe a parent? I mean say a child is being picked up for whatever reason..fever, diarrhea, coughing etc. For example KPA's case. Child had diarrhea. Provider tells the parent ok child can come in the morning provided no more diarrhea. Again..do you REALLY believe a parent when we have parents nowadays that HAVE to work? Of course they are going to lie and yeppers no more poopies! Then you wind up changing the kid 15 times!

I have always believed that the number rule in daycare is..never trust a parent
QualiTcare 08:28 PM 05-13-2010
i never REALLY believed the daycare when they HAD to cut back on labor to make budget - and sending kids home meant being able to send staff home. that was a larger daycare, of course.

but it works both ways.

you may not trust a parent that says their child is better, but there's no real reason to trust a provider who may just want a paid day off or a little break.
Chickenhauler 09:44 PM 05-13-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Seriously, who takes their child to the doctor for loose stools, unless it is an ongoing situation or other symptoms. Many families, including myself, do not have medical coverage to run to the doctor everytime for little things. I agree with Former Teacher. I also don't understand why you would lower your rates for a child that you now have to feed 2 meals a day, the cost of caring for a toddler/preschooler is more than caring for an infant whose parents supply all food and things needed.
Since when are infants less work than a toddler?

Toddlers usually are able to feed themselves (at least shove the food in their mouth for the most part), are usually able to play/entertain themselves without constant input, and generally, require less one-on-one than an infant.

Maybe we just have really easy toddlers and a couple of really sucky infants?

kpa0627-The only thing that you should remotely feel bad about is the fact that this childs parents are illiterate.

They were given the notice, had the chance to read it, yet failed to comprehend exactly what it said.

For them...."Here's Your Sign"!
QualiTcare 10:12 PM 05-13-2010
i have to agree that infants (assuming they don't have colic or something) are less work than toddlers.

they sleep a LOT..they don't run around destroying stuff or biting.

just easier - period.
MarinaVanessa 10:33 AM 05-14-2010
The funny thing is that from my personal experience teething doesn't always mean that they automatically get diarhea. I have a 9 month old who is teething right now and has not gotten fevers, diarhea or anything else. He's a little fussy and drooling but nothing a frozen banana can't take care of. Also a fever or diarhea during teething does not mean that it is because of the teething itself. The truth is that there is a big debate between pediatricians as to whether the symptoms are due to teething or completely unrelated and coincidental. Because there is no concrete scientific evidence in either case I have the same rule about 2 diarhea's a day and the child needs to get picked up. When they are babies I also use my judgement. If the baby is fussy or also has another symptom like fever or runny nose, eye discharge etc. I deffinetely call to have them picked up. I just can't risk having another child getting sick because it turns out that the "teething fever or diarhea" aren't really due to teething.
Tags:newsletter, raise rates, tuition
Reply Up