Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Struggling with Naptime
heatherk74 11:47 AM 03-10-2011
I have a just-turned-two-yr-old in my home daycare. Two weeks ago, he figured out how to get out of his pack-n-play. It's rare that he naps EVER. Before it was ok because he would just play in his P&P (granted I had to move his roommate to another room), but now he is CONSTANTLY out of the P&P. The other day it was 2 hours of me either sitting with him or putting him back to bed over and over. Today he was out of bed 35 times in 15 minutes! I gave up. I have things to do and can't sit in there with him for 2 hours or continue to put him back to bed. Mom wanted me to let him play out in the playroom if he won't nap. I didn't really want to do this, as it seems like a reward for not napping. Plus, he may wake the others and then they will want to stay up too and play. I'm at my wit's end! Any suggestions?
DCMomOf3 11:55 AM 03-10-2011
Welcome!!!

He is telling you he is to old/big for the pack-n-play. It's time to move him to a mat/cot on the floor. You will have to sit by him for a while, rub his back, etc. Depending on the child he may get it the first day or it may take a week or two.

Best of luck! I think he will respond much better than you think. My jumpers/talkers/criers do much better on mats, they are champion sleepers on the floor.
daycare 12:01 PM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
Welcome!!!

He is telling you he is to old/big for the pack-n-play. It's time to move him to a mat/cot on the floor. You will have to sit by him for a while, rub his back, etc. Depending on the child he may get it the first day or it may take a week or two.

Best of luck! I think he will respond much better than you think. My jumpers/talkers/criers do much better on mats, they are champion sleepers on the floor.
ditto I agree..

It took me a month of sitting and rubbing backs to get the 2 year old in my group from the PNP to the mat. Started out rubbing backs then no back rubbing and just sitting, then each day I would move further and further away, until eventually you don't have to be there anymore
AnythingsPossible 12:03 PM 03-10-2011
I agree with the transition to a mat, but if he still doesn't nap, what I do with my 10 month old who doesn't do afternoon nap's consistently is put him in the highchair. I am usually working in the kitchen during nap time, or on here so he just watches what I am doing. I do not engage much with him, because I want him to learn that this time is quiet time. Moving to a cot may work wonders though.
Tags:nap issues, sleep problems, trouble - sleeping
Reply Up