Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>the "stars" program
jenboo 03:10 PM 01-22-2015
Is the stars program the same in each state? or QRIS or whatever each state calls it?
Im moving to Idaho and wanted to be part of Idaho Stars until i saw that in order to have higher stars, you can only have 2 babies per provider. I am planning on doing an infant/toddler home daycare. all my kids will be under 24 months which is with licensing. Only having 2 children would definitely not provide enough $$.
And what age is a "baby"? I couldnt find anything that said ages

if its different in each state, then ill call to find out.
daycare 03:17 PM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Is the stars program the same in each state? or QRIS or whatever each state calls it?
Im moving to Idaho and wanted to be part of Idaho Stars until i saw that in order to have higher stars, you can only have 2 babies per provider. I am planning on doing an infant/toddler home daycare. all my kids will be under 24 months which is with licensing. Only having 2 children would definitely not provide enough $$.

I belive that each state defines differently. I would call

here in CA they are considered infants until 24 months....
LysesKids 04:23 PM 01-22-2015

It is different in each state...

I am infant /young toddler only... have been for years now; all my kids are under 24 months and in most states I stayed license exempt or registered instead of full license just because of ratios, much less the stars requirements...
midaycare 04:37 PM 01-22-2015
Definitely find out. Here in MI we can't get licensed - and we have to be licensed here - if we care for more than 2 under 18 month, 4 under 30, and 6 is the limit.
Annalee 04:42 PM 01-22-2015
Licensing allows 4 children under 24 months per family or group home. Family may keep up to 7 children for licensed family care and group child care allows for 12 but needs 2 caregivers. The QRIS FCCERS-R annual assessment groups the ages as birth to 12 months, 13 months to 30 months, 31 to 60 months. QRIS doesn't dictate how many of each age here; licensing does that, QRIS dictates what materials are available/accessible for each age group.
jenboo 04:47 PM 01-22-2015
Thank everyone. I will have to call. I can have 5 under two according to Boise licensing (I called them). You don't have to be part of Idaho stars to be licensed. I really fine Luke how you can only have 2 infants if you want 5-6 stars.
Second Home 03:31 AM 01-23-2015
Here in MD you can only have 2 under 24 months .
jenboo 06:46 AM 01-23-2015
If I was moving to meridian, nampa or Caldwell, I could be licensed and have 6 under 24 months! But Boise only allows 5.
suehelen 06:52 AM 01-23-2015
In Michigan we can have 2 under 18 months. 4 under 30 months.
Cat Herder 07:06 AM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I belive that each state defines differently. I would call

here in CA they are considered infants until 24 months....
I was just told this last week as well and I am on the other coast.

They want only two kids under two BUT childcare is FREE in the public schools here at four (three for special needs). WTHE double hockey sticks...

I just looked at her like she had two heads and she said "I know, I know.... let's just find some other area to excel in so this area won't hurt your score so bad." enter the magic outdoor science lab...
Annalee 07:12 AM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I was just told this last week as well and I am on the other coast.

They want only two kids under two BUT childcare is FREE in the public schools here at four (three for special needs). WTHE double hockey sticks...

I just looked at her like she had two heads and she said "I know, I know.... let's just find some other area to excel in so this area won't hurt your score so bad." enter the magic outdoor science lab...
They allow 4 under 24 months here but the fire marshall only allows 5 under 30 months so we are in a catch 22 either way you go...It really hurts because birth to 3 is the norm here with pre-K becoming prevalent. I do have 4 that are 4 right now which I find rewarding.
jenboo 07:15 AM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
They allow 4 under 24 months here but the fire marshall only allows 5 under 30 months so we are in a catch 22 either way you go...It really hurts because birth to 3 is the norm here with pre-K becoming prevalent. I do have 4 that are 4 right now which I find rewarding.
What state are you in?
There aren't many home daycares on the stars program. Maybe it would still be beneficial to join and just not get as high of a ranking.... We shall see once I'm actually there.
It would just drive me nuts knowing I "look bad" only because I have an infant daycare.
Cat Herder 07:22 AM 01-23-2015
I am lucky that minimum regs simply say 1-6 with no more than 3 under 12 months... BUT the "Quality" push will change those very soon.

LEGAL providers, in good standing, with no violations or complaints are referred to as "minimum standard" providers, are publicly shamed online and are deemed ineligible for grants, subsidy clients or reimbursements of mandatory training hours...

QRIS providers are simply giving up all personal choice, privacy and dignity just to stay in business.

Illegal providers are not inspected until someone files an official complaint. They then enjoy both local respect as "standing up for american/southern values and freedoms" and are given State assistance + grants to become legal if caught.

It is sickening.
Annalee 07:26 AM 01-23-2015
What state are you in?
There aren't many home daycares on the stars program. Maybe it would still be beneficial to join and just not get as high of a ranking.... We shall see once I'm actually there.
It would just drive me nuts knowing I "look bad" only because I have an infant daycare.
TN and it is in the law for every child care program to go through the annual stars FCCERS-R assessment...you can choose to not participate BUT you still have to go through the process PLUS online there will be an N/P by those that chose to not participate and if you click on it, it has your report card results so what benefit is that????? Providers might as well participate...
melilley 11:03 AM 01-23-2015
Thank everyone. I will have to call. I can have 5 under two according to Boise licensing (I called them). You don't have to be part of Idaho stars to be licensed. I really fine Luke how you can only have 2 infants if you want 5-6 stars.
Here, for our Stars program, we get points if we are under ratio. I didn't get the points because I sometimes like to stay full and am not going to miss out on income just for points. We can still get a 4 or 5 even if we don't get points for that section.
Annalee 11:22 AM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
Here, for our Stars program, we get points if we are under ratio. I didn't get the points because I sometimes like to stay full and am not going to miss out on income just for points. We can still get a 4 or 5 even if we don't get points for that section.
Centers here are scored on their ratio because they use ECERS and ITTERS but FCC is not scored on ratio as long as it complies with licensing guidelines.
melilley 11:42 AM 01-23-2015
Centers here are scored on their ratio because they use ECERS and ITTERS but FCC is not scored on ratio as long as it complies with licensing guidelines.
That's good. Here for family providers, our ratio has to be at 4 to score the point(s). Our licensing ratio is 6. That's 2 spots that could be filled!
I'm in MI so my ratios are what midaycare wrote above.
Tags:qris, quality, star program, stars program
Reply Up