Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I May Be Closing My Daycare.....
cheerfuldom 06:40 PM 02-15-2012
VERY hard decision I have come to but as you all know, daycare is not for the faint of heart. After five years of doing this every day (including through two pregnancies), I believe I have hit my limit and am currently looking for another job. If we find the right situation, I will part time in the evenings and weekends and possibly keep just one child during the day (the one in mind is basically family anyway). I feel that even though I will be gone from the house sometimes, the trade offs for me and my family will be worth it. I am really looking forward to a new adventure and will not be missing the drama from the parents. I actually have a pretty good group right now but I need a break from this and more time for my own kids. Having three young kids in with the daycare kids is no easy task! It could be awhile before this happens or it could be in the next few days, who knows. But I did want to thank you all for your great ideas and support.

Once I have a job, how much notice should I give the parents? It is possible that I would need to start quickly and do not want to be doing both daycare and part time job for too long!
saved4always 06:45 PM 02-15-2012
My contract says 2 weeks, but if you can give them longer, that would allow them more time to find alternate care. If you give them some recommendations, too, that would probably be very helpful to them. In the end though, it will depend on your situation when you do find a job.
KBCsMommy 06:55 PM 02-15-2012
Oh Wow Cheerfuldom!!! Im excited for you and your new adventure! And your completely right doing daycare with 3 children is no easy task whatsoever.

People think " oh your home with your children, how hard can that be"....Well when you tell your 3 year old for the 10th time they are going to have to wait for your milk to get refilled, and they finally just give up because you're to "busy"....well its a bit of a heartbreaker. Many times I have been upset myself looking in my little guys big brown eyes and telling him "no" or "you have to wait until after daycare".

Although I will miss all of your advice and reading all of your posts, I am completely supportive and excited for you!!

Good Luck with your search!!
cheerfuldom 07:29 PM 02-15-2012
KBC...this is one of the main reasons I am having to take a break from daycare. Heartbreaking is the word for what is happening here and with three kids of my own, it is not fair to them whatsoever and I do see the affect on their happiness and behavior. They need more than what they are getting and I don't want their formative years to remain in the current state. It wasn't such an issue when I had two kids, although it was certainly a challenge. Now, with three, it is an issue that needs addressed right now. Thanks for your support.
countrymom 06:32 AM 02-16-2012
I found its easier when my kids went to school. It really does make a big difference, its nice that when my kids come home from school most of the dck's have gone home.
PitterPatter 07:07 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
VERY hard decision I have come to but as you all know, daycare is not for the faint of heart. After five years of doing this every day (including through two pregnancies), I believe I have hit my limit and am currently looking for another job. If we find the right situation, I will part time in the evenings and weekends and possibly keep just one child during the day (the one in mind is basically family anyway). I feel that even though I will be gone from the house sometimes, the trade offs for me and my family will be worth it. I am really looking forward to a new adventure and will not be missing the drama from the parents. I actually have a pretty good group right now but I need a break from this and more time for my own kids. Having three young kids in with the daycare kids is no easy task! It could be awhile before this happens or it could be in the next few days, who knows. But I did want to thank you all for your great ideas and support.

Once I have a job, how much notice should I give the parents? It is possible that I would need to start quickly and do not want to be doing both daycare and part time job for too long!
I totally know where you are coming from and I almost made the same decision myself. Many times our own children go without and wait in line in their own home and it is sad but I weigh it with at least I am home for them. I hope you find the perfect job and enjoy your new adventure.

As for the notice time I would give as much as possible. In my contract it's a 2 week notice. Did you have a time frame in your contract? I like to give as much notice as possible but I have had the experience parents get angry and pull the kids before time is up. (when terming them and chaning closing time)

Good luck in your new job!
cheerfuldom 07:16 AM 02-16-2012
well I used to justify the situation with "at least I am home with them" but with the three I have now, they do need more than a physical presence and this train of thought just doesn't work for us anymore. There is another way for us to make ends meet so I am going to go for that, for now. I may end up coming back to daycare when my kids are school age but for now, its not working for us. I am optimistic that I can find a part time job outside the home and spend the days with just my kids, plus I will be homeschooling soon and I don't want my oldest's education to suffer from lack of attention on my part.
morgan24 07:19 AM 02-16-2012
I had one in college and one in middle school when I started daycare. It was hard on the younger one. I understand where you are coming from, you give up family time and school events.

If you are offered a job, you want to take the only thing you can do is give as much notice as possible. Most jobs let you give 2 weeks notice when you are leaving another job. Good luck!!
Unregistered 08:02 AM 02-16-2012
I think I may be closing too, probably in Sept. I am finishing my bachelors and now feel like I can pehaps get a decent job school hours. My kids are both in school. I struggle with the idea that I failed at this, but I had a business for almost 9 years, so thats not bad! Im only going to take what will be interesting and work with my schedule, but for the same reasons it might be time to move on. My kids have to miss out on things because I work so late.

Lets hope we find something great!
CheekyChick 10:07 AM 02-16-2012
You will be missed here.
WImom 11:41 AM 02-16-2012
I hear you. I took a break when my kids were 3.5 and 4.5 and just started back up when my youngest went to school full time(1.5 years ago). It really makes a difference now that they are in school. I also lessened my hours from 6:45-5:30 to now only being open 7:00-4:30 and that has helped to not burn me out.

Good luck with the job search.
icaredaycare 12:59 PM 02-16-2012
good luck to you. I wish you all the best and your decision. You are not the only one who have thought about closing down. I have thought bout getting into a more steady profession numerous times. I have no idea where ill be ten years from now, and that kinda scares me.

However, I enjoy doing what I do now, so i'm going to take it day by day, and put money aside for investments, and not be so careless with my money.
SimpleMom 03:18 PM 02-16-2012
Will miss you, and glad to hear that you know what you want and need to do!! Good luck and enjoy your time with your kids and hubby!!
Sprouts 08:39 PM 02-16-2012
Reading this makes me realize why my daughter may seem to angry with me sometimes, and when my MIA comes she sweeps her off her feet and I feel horrible everyday
Tags:closing daycare
Reply Up