Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terminating
Unregistered 09:12 AM 09-17-2013
I have had this family for a year now with no problems! 6 weeks ago she was laid off, honestly I think she was fired. She gave me 2 weeks notice that she will be moving from full time to 2 days a week until she can find a job. She wants him to come the 2 days a week because she loves my daycare and doesn't want to loose the spot. So she is paying me out of her unemployment. My issue is the child is still taking up a spot and I am loosing money. Which we can't afford. At first I thought she would find a job quickly. But during our conversations she shows no interest in finding a job. She made the comment that unemployment pays only 100 less that what she was making. So a little less than what she was paying me. Her posts on Facebook about loving not having to work but still getting paid exc. I don't want to terminate but I think I have too since she doesn't seem to be looking. What would you do in the situation?
cheerfuldom 09:17 AM 09-17-2013
I would let her know that you can no longer afford to keep a part timer when you actually need the income of a full timer. She can take the full time spot back at the former rate of $X or she will have to look for alternative part timer childcare. I would give her a two weeks notice and begin interviewing for a replacement now.
Familycare71 09:17 AM 09-17-2013
Term!
I have had so many parents ( or community members) that get laid off stay laid off because unemployment pays so well now and minus daycare and fuel, etc... They can afford it! One family was able to have the mom "stay at home" for a year and a half and she collected unemployment for the entire time!
I don't agree with it and I think that is one of our major economic issues- but that's another post entirely!
MamaBear 09:37 AM 09-17-2013
I have a parent that is asking me about this same situation too. She just found out her company is closing down and she will be out of a job in November. BUT she is also pregnant and due to have a baby in January... So she is asking me if she can keep bringing the DCG here but only 2 days a week starting in November and all thru her maternity until she finds a job! That could be like a year from then! Infant spaces are so easy to fill around here and I would be losing so much money holding a space for her that long.

So I'm gonna have to tell her that it will either have to be full time payment each week or nothing. Sucks to do that - but I gotta think of my finances too. Oh and she was also hoping I'd save ANOTHER infant spot for her newborn for whenever she does get a job... Ugh.
Blackcat31 09:37 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have had this family for a year now with no problems! 6 weeks ago she was laid off, honestly I think she was fired. She gave me 2 weeks notice that she will be moving from full time to 2 days a week until she can find a job. She wants him to come the 2 days a week because she loves my daycare and doesn't want to loose the spot. So she is paying me out of her unemployment. My issue is the child is still taking up a spot and I am loosing money. Which we can't afford. At first I thought she would find a job quickly. But during our conversations she shows no interest in finding a job. She made the comment that unemployment pays only 100 less that what she was making. So a little less than what she was paying me. Her posts on Facebook about loving not having to work but still getting paid exc. I don't want to terminate but I think I have too since she doesn't seem to be looking. What would you do in the situation?
Dear Daycare Parent

At this time, I am willing to allow daycare boy to attend 2 days a week at the rate of $ per week. I am willing to do this for a maximum of two weeks after which time, the FULL time rate will need to be paid in order to hold daycare boys space.

If you are unable to pay the full tuition fee, I will unfortunately have to fill the space as this is a business and I too have financial obligations that need to be met.

Thank you

Daycare Provider

If you have already held the space for more than two weeks, I would simply tell the mom that she needs to start coming or paying for the full time spot if they want it or you will be actively seeking a replacement.

HER situation should NOT be yours....
JoseyJo 09:39 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would let her know that you can no longer afford to keep a part timer when you actually need the income of a full timer. She can take the full time spot back at the former rate of $X or she will have to look for alternative part timer childcare. I would give her a two weeks notice and begin interviewing for a replacement now.
Yep! Doesn't really matter if she works or not. I have a SAHM who is one of my BEST dc families and DCKs too! Don't make it about that, just make it about the spot that is being held for her child at 2 days pay instead of 5 and you cannot afford to do that any longer.
Unregistered 09:42 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
I have a parent that is asking me about this same situation too. She just found out her company is closing down and she will be out of a job in November. BUT she is also pregnant and due to have a baby in January... So she is asking me if she can keep bringing the DCG here but only 2 days a week starting in November and all thru her maternity until she finds a job! That could be like a year from then! Infant spaces are so easy to fill around here and I would be losing so much money holding a space for her that long.

So I'm gonna have to tell her that it will either have to be full time payment each week or nothing. Sucks to do that - but I gotta think of my finances too. Oh and she was also hoping I'd save ANOTHER infant spot for her newborn for whenever she does get a job... Ugh.
Oh wow! That is hard! It is really easy to fill an infant opening here too!
Unregistered 09:46 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Dear Daycare Parent

At this time, I am willing to allow daycare boy to attend 2 days a week at the rate of $ per week. I am willing to do this for a maximum of two weeks after which time, the FULL time rate will need to be paid in order to hold daycare boys space.

If you are unable to pay the full tuition fee, I will unfortunately have to fill the space as this is a business and I too have financial obligations that need to be met.

Thank you

Daycare Provider

If you have already held the space for more than two weeks, I would simply tell the mom that she needs to start coming or paying for the full time spot if they want it or you will be actively seeking a replacement.

HER situation should NOT be yours....
I have been holding the spot for 4 weeks now It is really easy to fill an infant opening here. But my infant spot is filled. The child is 3 and that age group is difficult to find around here. So I am a little worried about terminating loosing out on pay for 2 days to then not be able to find anyone and have no pay. It's a vicious cycle! They will be here on Friday and I will talk to the mom.
Unregistered 09:48 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
Term!
I have had so many parents ( or community members) that get laid off stay laid off because unemployment pays so well now and minus daycare and fuel, etc... They can afford it! One family was able to have the mom "stay at home" for a year and a half and she collected unemployment for the entire time!
I don't agree with it and I think that is one of our major economic issues- but that's another post entirely!
The unemployment is really messed up!!! There are so many things wrong with it. Plus if you qualify for unemployment you most likely qualify for food stamps. So you could actually make more money by not having a job, since you wouldn't have to pay for food anymore. It is so frustrating!
Leigh 10:38 AM 09-17-2013
I have been holding the spot for 4 weeks now It is really easy to fill an infant opening here. But my infant spot is filled. The child is 3 and that age group is difficult to find around here. So I am a little worried about terminating loosing out on pay for 2 days to then not be able to find anyone and have no pay. It's a vicious cycle! They will be here on Friday and I will talk to the mom.
Perhaps you should put Mom on notice that you are going to start advertising the space. Tell her that she can continue to bring DCB 2x/week until the spot is filled or she can pay full rate to guarantee the spot.
GabsKids 10:43 AM 09-17-2013
This is your business. It is your livelihood. If I were you I would start advertising for a potential new client. If you get a good response with the age you are looking for, I would then talk to dcm and ask her what her plans are. Let her know you need the space filled with a FT child. If she tells you she plans on dcb returning to FT when she finds a job, I would then give her the 2 week letter. If she tells you she is thinking of staying home and collecting UC I would let her know you are interviewing and if you find a FT child you will then need to term until she finds something. You can then fill your FT space, and have her on your waiting list if in the future she returns to work. I would not say anything to her though until you get a call or two from a potential client. Because if you term in 2 weeks without having a potential child to fill the space you could end up with no income for the space. At least now you have PT.
JoseyJo 11:04 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Perhaps you should put Mom on notice that you are going to start advertising the space. Tell her that she can continue to bring DCB 2x/week until the spot is filled or she can pay full rate to guarantee the spot.
This is a good idea!
butterfly 11:26 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:

Familycare71 07:26 PM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by GabsKids:
This is your business. It is your livelihood. If I were you I would start advertising for a potential new client. If you get a good response with the age you are looking for, I would then talk to dcm and ask her what her plans are. Let her know you need the space filled with a FT child. If she tells you she plans on dcb returning to FT when she finds a job, I would then give her the 2 week letter. If she tells you she is thinking of staying home and collecting UC I would let her know you are interviewing and if you find a FT child you will then need to term until she finds something. You can then fill your FT space, and have her on your waiting list if in the future she returns to work. I would not say anything to her though until you get a call or two from a potential client. Because if you term in 2 weeks without having a potential child to fill the space you could end up with no income for the space. At least now you have PT.
. I agree- I would advertise but not say anything until you are getting calls. Then you can give her the option
MotherNature 06:48 AM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:

Maria2013 09:39 AM 09-18-2013
I have it in my contract, I don't enroll for less than 3 days a week I make sure parents understand should they drop to less than that I would start looking to fill the spot full time and term their contract

when unexpected things happen,they have the right to do what they have to and so do I
TwinKristi 09:51 AM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
Term!
I have a mom who just chose to quit her job as opposed to taking a promotion because its too many more hours away from her baby. Then I remembered a conversation a few wks back about a trip out of the country in Dec and trying to plan it around my holidays. Well I only take 4 days off in Dec-Jan so it was probably more cost effective for them to have mom collect unemployment, not pay daycare and then take their trip and not have to hold his spot here in Dec when they're gone most of the month. Must be nice to quit your job and still get paid while vacationing. LOL
itlw8 11:38 AM 09-18-2013
do some states pay more for unemployment than others? Ds was on layoff and only got 200 a week and it took 6 weeks for him to ever get the first check. He was back to work before he got any money. Hard to pay your rent , buy gas , and food for 2 kids on 800 a month.
Blackcat31 11:42 AM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
do some states pay more for unemployment than others? Ds was on layoff and only got 200 a week and it took 6 weeks for him to ever get the first check. He was back to work before he got any money. Hard to pay your rent , buy gas , and food for 2 kids on 800 a month.
I think the amount of money you get is dependent on your earnings for the previous 3 quarters BEFORE you apply.

I also think it is pretty standard to have a waiting period before they issue a first payment.... atleast that is how it used to be. It wasn't 6 weeks long here, I think more like 3 but there was a waiting period.

Here is a link to your state's UE http://www.mo.gov/work/unemployment/
Tags:terminate
Reply Up