Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Termination Question
wdmmom 12:28 PM 10-14-2013
I took on a part time boy a few weeks ago. His schedule was 9am to 3pm Monday-Thursday every other week.

Dcb came for 3 weeks. Today he should have attended too but I get an email from dcd last week saying something along the lines of,

Provider,

I regret to inform you that dcb will not be returning to daycare. With moving in with my gf, our needs have changed and we only need care 2 hours a day 4 days a week.

Thank you for the great care you provided. You were awesome and I'm sure dcb will miss you.

Please let me know what I need to do to close out.

Thanks,
DCD

So I replied with something along the lines of, "I'm sorry to hear that dcb won't be with us any longer. I know the other children and I will miss him. He was such a well behaved and well mannered boy.

To cancel, here is what I need: $260. This will satisfy the 4 week notice or wages my contract requires, there is a form I need a signature on as well. I will get his belongings gathered up. Just let me know if there is a day after work that you would like to come by.

Thank you

This was last Thursday and I haven't had any response. The grandparents were the ones paying me every other week so I don't know whether I should sit and wait a week to see if dcd responds or if I should attempt to make contact with the grandparents. The dcd just moved so I don't even have a new address to send a certified letter.
Cradle2crayons 12:30 PM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I took on a part time boy a few weeks ago. His schedule was 9am to 3pm Monday-Thursday every other week.

Dcb came for 3 weeks. Today he should have attended too but I get an email from dcd last week saying something along the lines of,

Provider,

I regret to inform you that dcb will not be returning to daycare. With moving in with my gf, our needs have changed and we only need care 2 hours a day 4 days a week.

Thank you for the great care you provided. You were awesome and I'm sure dcb will miss you.

Please let me know what I need to do to close out.

Thanks,
DCD

So I replied with something along the lines of, "I'm sorry to hear that dcb won't be with us any longer. I know the other children and I will miss him. He was such a well behaved and well mannered boy.

To cancel, here is what I need: $260. This will satisfy the 4 week notice or wages my contract requires, there is a form I need a signature on as well. I will get his belongings gathered up. Just let me know if there is a day after work that you would like to come by.

Thank you

This was last Thursday and I haven't had any response. The grandparents were the ones paying me every other week so I don't know whether I should sit and wait a week to see if dcd responds or if I should attempt to make contact with the grandparents. The dcd just moved so I don't even have a new address to send a certified letter.
Who signed e contract? The parents or grandparents.?

Here it doesn't matter if grandparents pay, if they don't sign the contract then I can't contact them about money.
CedarCreek 12:31 PM 10-14-2013
No, do not wait.

Try and get in contact with the Grandparents ASAP to settle the account or get a new address for DCD.

The longer you wait, the less likely it will be that you collect payment.
TwinKristi 01:14 PM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
No, do not wait.

Try and get in contact with the Grandparents ASAP to settle the account or get a new address for DCD.

The longer you wait, the less likely it will be that you collect payment.
I agree, I would contact them. I'm not sure if you have copies of all their checks and the fact that they paid, not him. Obviously whoever signed the contract is who you need to legally pursue but I don't see anything wrong with contacting them and letting them know this is the balance he owes.
TheGoodLife 01:29 PM 10-14-2013
Maybe contact the grandparents and in a friendly manner, tell them you need to send a tax statement and need the current address? That would be true, even though you're really trying to get the address for collections . If they try to convince you to send it to them, explain it legally has to go to the contracts person! Good luck, that is difficult when you don't have a current address!
Unregistered 05:53 PM 10-15-2013
Wow is all I can say. You may need some legal help. Have you heard of Tom Copeland? Try shooting him a message he is quick to get back. A certified demand letter is helpful. Do you have his email address? Send another email that is like a certified demand letter and find out where in your city to process small claims in court. If you have no address for this person, do you have the address for the grandparents? Call as many resources as you can.
wdmmom 08:27 AM 10-17-2013
I found out the apartment complex he moved to but without an apartment number, that may prove difficult. I doubt the office will give it to me but I suppose if a sheriff went in to serve someone, do you think they'd give it to them?

I called the grandfather this morning and explained that payment is still due since no notice was provided. All's he could say was, "Ohhhh" as in "Wow, I can't believe he did that." He said his wife was making the payments but wasn't sure what agreement she had with dcd so he said he would get to the bottom of the matter and get back in touch with me. I did mention that if the amount wasn't satisfied that I would have to take legal action. I also told him that the $260 balance satisfies the the remaining 2 weeks of the 4 that are required. I also told him that I'm not charging late fees nor accrued time off which could both total about another $125.

So...hopefully I hear back from grandpa but I really don't think I will. I did send dcd an email yesterday saying payment MUST be received no later than Friday, October 18th by 2pm closing time. So, we'll see.
Tags:deposit, terminate
Reply Up