Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Is Rains, It Pours! Terming Question Too
MCC 10:16 AM 01-28-2014
This is really just a vent, but I also maybe need some brainstorming help.

I have a set of cousins here, I was planning on terming one of them tonight, the baby just is not adjusting, she wont sleep, wont take a bottle, and the parents are not working with me on the issue. I have a feeling I will lose both cousins if I term one, so I am preparing for that.

Last week I posted about a 3 year old who all of a sudden isn't doing well here, so is overly emotional, and her mom told me last night they are starting her in full time preschool, hoping more structure will do her well.

Now I'm kind of in a predicament here, if I term the cousins, I'll have 3 openings. I only have 1 kid on my wait list over 2, so I would be having to take newborns.

My assistant also came in today and told me her last day will be Friday, she got a better position somewhere.

I feel like the floor is crumbling here, and I feel like I'm going to have to let cranky, non napping cousin baby stay, and I am just done done done with her and her family.

If I do term cousin baby (tonight I am meeting with her family to discuss) should I just flat out ask the other cousin baby's mom if they are planning on staying? Is that unprofessional?

Thanks for vent/advice
nannyde 10:29 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:

I have a set of cousins here, I was planning on terming one of them tonight, the baby just is not adjusting, she wont sleep, wont take a bottle, and the parents are not working with me on the issue. I have a feeling I will lose both cousins if I term one, so I am preparing for that.

Last week I posted about a 3 year old who all of a sudden isn't doing well here, so is overly emotional, and her mom told me last night they are starting her in full time preschool, hoping more structure will do her well.

Now I'm kind of in a predicament here, if I term the cousins, I'll have 3 openings. I only have 1 kid on my wait list over 2, so I would be having to take newborns.

My assistant also came in today and told me her last day will be Friday, she got a better position somewhere.

I feel like the floor is crumbling here, and I feel like I'm going to have to let cranky, non napping cousin baby stay, and I am just done done done with her and her family.

If I do term cousin baby (tonight I am meeting with her family to discuss) should I just flat out ask the other cousin baby's mom if they are planning on staying? Is that unprofessional?

Thanks for vent/advice
You can ask the cousin if they will stay and unless they have a free and easy deal to go to that would make them feel like they are taking a united stand to protest.... they will say they will stay because they will want time to look elsewhere.

If they enrolled so the cousins could be raised together then they will need time to interview as a group of three kids. They will find someone GLADLY willing to take them together.

Whatever they say now is going to be what is best for them now.
MCC 10:45 AM 01-28-2014
Makes sense, thank you nanyde!
Laurel 11:44 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:

Thanks for vent/advice
It may be too late for the cranky baby but what I did recently is tell a set of parents that their baby was not adjusting well. I told them I had a plan and I will try to work on it as hard as I can but if he didn't respond then I wouldn't be able to watch him anymore. They are a wonderful family too.

His problem was what the parents were doing at home. It was a wake up call and now they are trying harder and so am I and things have DRAMATICALLY changed and only in one week. I think they needed to hear "If things don't change, you will have to find other arrangements." Until they heard that I would actually term I don't think they were trying very hard on their end to change things.

Just a suggestion.

Laurel
MCC 12:43 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
It may be too late for the cranky baby but what I did recently is tell a set of parents that their baby was not adjusting well. I told them I had a plan and I will try to work on it as hard as I can but if he didn't respond then I wouldn't be able to watch him anymore. They are a wonderful family too.

His problem was what the parents were doing at home. It was a wake up call and now they are trying harder and so am I and things have DRAMATICALLY changed and only in one week. I think they needed to hear "If things don't change, you will have to find other arrangements." Until they heard that I would actually term I don't think they were trying very hard on their end to change things.

Just a suggestion.

Laurel
Thank you, I have sat down with them multiple times and tried to come up with a plan. They just keep telling me that the baby is eating and sleeping at home, so they don't know what to change. I have been at this since August with them, I honestly think they have no desire to fix the problem, and they are giving me attitude about it along the way. It's a cruddy situation, b/c I LOVE the other cousin baby's mom.
Laurel 02:11 PM 01-28-2014
Well maybe the other one will stay. The good one probably knows the bad one is a pain anyway. Daycare probably isn't the only time they are a pain!
TwinKristi 02:17 PM 01-28-2014
My friend has a cousin set in her daycare. Luckily they're all great but I can imagine if one left in a hissy the other may follow as the moms are sisters and very close.
MCC 04:30 PM 01-28-2014
I met with the non napping cousin mom and dad tonight, we had a very open conversation and after brainstorming on how to get her to nap, they told me they enrolled her in a center.... Why did I waste my breath talking about solutions with them!?

I had already written up their term notice, so walked over to my desk and grabbed it and had them sign it.

They left happily, and even said "well maybe when she is one we will bring her back!

They are going to have her end a week before her term date, so I get a week of free pay!

Now I just have to find out what cousin mom 2 is going to do.
TwinKristi 06:49 PM 01-28-2014
Wow! That was a shocker! How old is the cousin? Do you think they'll move to the center too??
MCC 06:54 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Wow! That was a shocker! How old is the cousin? Do you think they'll move to the center too??
The cousin is 5 months. I have no idea if they will switch, obviously cousin #1 made this decision before today if she is already enrolled, so I know mom #2 has to know about this. She has not given me any indication that they are leaving. I plan to ask her tomorrow, I need to know.
KidGrind 08:17 PM 01-28-2014
I am crossing my fingers that the cousin stays!
daycarediva 03:22 AM 01-29-2014
I hope you don't take them back later! Geeze "Instead of working on our child's sleep schedule and issues, lets just dump her in a center." They KNOW it's not going to help, they just no longer have to deal with it. GRR!

Hope cousin #2 stays!
mrsnj 07:08 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I hope you don't take them back later! Geeze "Instead of working on our child's sleep schedule and issues, lets just dump her in a center." They KNOW it's not going to help, they just no longer have to deal with it. GRR!

Hope cousin #2 stays!

Ditto. A center should be the last place for a screamer! Doesn't solve the issue. Only more likely to make it worse.
Tags:terminate
Reply Up