Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>RSV and siblings
Sunchimes 04:32 PM 12-27-2016
New daycare baby started today, 8 weeks old. He was sneezing and coughing, no fever, mom suspected allergies but made a doctor's appointment for this afternoon. RSV, bronchiolitis, and thrush.

The thing is that I have his 2 year old brother. Should I request that he stay out a week just to see if he is incubating it? He doesn't hover over the baby, no symptoms of anything. It will inconvenience a really superb family, so I don't want to over-react. The thing is, my husband has advanced COPD and another dcg was medically fragile (no longer, she's fine), so I'm torn.
sahm1225 06:25 PM 12-27-2016
How would it inconvenience them if theyre already staying home with the baby?
I would exclude the sibling and explain that it's just a precaution. RSV is a serious thing.
Sunchimes 05:21 AM 12-28-2016
I remembered that I had the sibling exclusion in my handbook, so he us out until Friday. The inconvenience is because a friend will keep the baby, but it is asking a lot to take a 2 year old. She seems fine with it, so that's that.
finsup 06:47 AM 12-28-2016
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I remembered that I had the sibling exclusion in my handbook, so he us out until Friday. The inconvenience is because a friend will keep the baby, but it is asking a lot to take a 2 year old. She seems fine with it, so that's that.
Her EIGHT week old has rsv and she was going to send him to a friend to care for him?! Smh...Anyways, glad it worked out. I don't generally have siblings but I do have a policy that excludes both if one is sick.
sahm1225 11:06 AM 12-28-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
Her EIGHT week old has rsv and she was going to send him to a friend to care for him?! Smh...Anyways, glad it worked out. I don't generally have siblings but I do have a policy that excludes both if one is sick.
Maybe they don't understand how serious RSV is? My dd was 2 months and was hospitalized for RSV.
Controlled Chaos 02:08 PM 12-28-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Maybe they don't understand how serious RSV is? My dd was 2 months and was hospitalized for RSV.
My son was hospitalized at 2m and again the next year at 15m with RSV. So scary.

But maybe they don't have paid leave. Maybe she used all her sick and vacation days after the baby was born. I just hope the little ones is feeling better soon
Blackcat31 02:24 PM 12-28-2016
Our health department recommends exclusion for RSV only when a fever is present. If the infant has no fever, the exclusionary period does not apply so while RSV can be serious for some infants our recommendations don't suggest any further precautions.

http://www.hennepin.us/-/media/henne...fact.pdf?la=en
Sunchimes 05:19 PM 12-28-2016
Update: the baby got worse and is in the hospital tonight. I excluded brother, but in light of the emergency, talking to a doctor, and Blackcat's link, I will let him back in tomorrow and watch him closely. Blackcat, thank you for the link. I found it on a tag search last night, but my phone wouldn't open it.

Mom used up more than her time because she was on bedrest. Tuesday was her first day back at work. It's sort of a mess
finsup 06:45 PM 12-28-2016
Update: the baby got worse and is in the hospital tonight. I excluded brother, but in light of the emergency, talking to a doctor, and Blackcat's link, I will let him back in tomorrow and watch him closely. Blackcat, thank you for the link. I found it on a tag search last night, but my phone wouldn't open it.

Mom used up more than her time because she was on bedrest. Tuesday was her first day back at work. It's sort of a mess
And that's exactly why I couldn't imagine leaving him Sounds like her situation isn't good though, which stinks too. I may be a bit jaded about parents leaving sick kiddos with whoever will take them just so they don't have to deal with it Seen it far too many times. But that doesn't sound like the case here. Regardless, I will be praying for them and that baby. So scary
momofboys 07:09 AM 12-29-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Exactly! My son (now 13 & healthy) was in the PICU for 6 days, partially on a breathing tube (at 5 weeks) when he had bronchiolitis & then a month later he contracted RSV & pneumonia. It was extremely serious & we were even given "the talk" about the grim situation. Thank goodness, he is okay now.
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 12-29-2016

I am confused... didn't the Dr share with the parent the seriousness of this? Or advise the parent to stay home and closely watch for symptoms that may get worse?

I don't know, it just seems weird that mom was relaxed enough about it to leave him with someone else since this obviously can worsen rapidly...as it did.

Hoping baby is doing okay!
daycarediva 09:18 AM 12-29-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
Yup and YUP!

Oh no, I hope baby recovers. That's reasonable of you, and probably what I would do, too.
Ariana 07:11 PM 12-29-2016
What job on what planet is worth more than your small teeny tiny baby???! Totally gobsmacked.

Hope that baby is tough and gets through this with flying colours.
Sunchimes 07:36 PM 12-29-2016
The friend turned out to be her sister, and in the end, he got worse so she didn't even go to work at all. She has been off work since mid-October, she had to go to work. I'm sure it wasn't a casual choice.

Her sister (the one I thought was a friend) has her own kids. She wouldn't have treated it casually. She's a good mom trying to make the best of being pulled from every direction. They are out until next week, even though I offered to take the older one tomorrow. Really worried about this baby, and slightly about myself. I have started coughing tonight. Holding my breath I don't catch it.
daycare 08:35 PM 12-29-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
What job on what planet is worth more than your small teeny tiny baby???! Totally gobsmacked.

Hope that baby is tough and gets through this with flying colours.
I was a single mother with a 9 month old child with RSV and went through something similar. I was in a situation where I had no time off left with work and did not qualify me for paid family leave to care for my child act. I had to decide if staying with my child or going to work to keep a roof over my head to take my child back to when he left the hospital and keeping him on good medical insurance or quitting and putting us in a much worse situation.

I have no family in the USA and had college friends and neighbors taking shift turns with me to stay with my son. It was the worst thing that I have ever been through in my life. I was at the hospital the second i got off work, until I had to go back and then my friends or neighbors were there with him.

this family may be experiencing something similar.
Reply Up