Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reassure Me
NillaWafers 12:26 PM 01-12-2017
That I'm making the right decision. I have one opening, for a toddler. I currently have a part time infant boy along with my own infant (that put s me at my ratio).

The PT boy has been here since September and still has issues adjusting. Somedays he will whine and cry all day.

My husband is currently unemployed and looking for work. We are in a very tight place financially. I put out an ad looking to fill this PT boys infant spot, and the toddler spot. I interviewed a father with an almost 2 yr old girl, and infant boy. He is very interested in the spots, and I told him I would get back with him Friday. He needs fulltime for both kids and additional time, that he would pay extra for. While I hate the idea of working longer hours we are in desperate need of extra money.

financially it makes sense, even behavior wise with this little boy it makes sense. so why do i feel so guilty?
Blackcat31 12:39 PM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
That I'm making the right decision. I have one opening, for a toddler. I currently have a part time infant boy along with my own infant (that put s me at my ratio).

The PT boy has been here since September and still has issues adjusting. Somedays he will whine and cry all day.

My husband is currently unemployed and looking for work. We are in a very tight place financially. I put out an ad looking to fill this PT boys infant spot, and the toddler spot. I interviewed a father with an almost 2 yr old girl, and infant boy. He is very interested in the spots, and I told him I would get back with him Friday. He needs fulltime for both kids and additional time, that he would pay extra for. While I hate the idea of working longer hours we are in desperate need of extra money.

financially it makes sense, even behavior wise with this little boy it makes sense. so why do i feel so guilty?
Because ANY time we inconvenience someone else we empathize. Change is hard for everyone and as a child care provider it's natural for you to see ALL sides and ALL perspectives.

If the shoe were on the other foot and the child you are terminating needed to withdraw from your care, would they feel guilty that you are losing income? I doubt it... so ....

Every family does what is best for them.
Including yours. It's okay.
KiwiKids 12:40 PM 01-12-2017
Because it is hard to term! But you'll be so happy you did once you have a few tear free days and bigger payments.
Cat Herder 12:54 PM 01-12-2017
Full-time pay always trumps part-time pay. No worries.

My concern: Are you going to be able to hold this new family to policies with the risk of two slots on the line? Think hard on that.

A few more interviews never hurt anyone.
NillaWafers 03:07 PM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Full-time pay always trumps part-time pay. No worries.

My concern: Are you going to be able to hold this new family to policies with the risk of two slots on the line? Think hard on that.

A few more interviews never hurt anyone.
I have thought about that. The father seems reallly reasonable at least. I have another interview today for just the infant position.

2 kid family needs care in two weeks. The 2 year old isn't quite two so she wouldn't be able to start until her birthday (first week of Feb). They are willing to arrange care until then and drop their baby off.

Still thinking and considering...
childcaremom 03:23 PM 01-12-2017
How much later are they wanting you to be open for? I always end up regretting doing this. Usually at the 2 month mark.
NillaWafers 03:32 PM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
How much later are they wanting you to be open for? I always end up regretting doing this. Usually at the 2 month mark.
I am open until 6. But currently my last child is here until 5:30. They need to pickup at 6:15-20.
childcaremom 03:51 PM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
I am open until 6. But currently my last child is here until 5:30. They need to pickup at 6:15-20.
I get the financial pinch. Been there, done that.

I would take the ft over the pt in a heartbeat. You need to put your family first. If the extra time doesn't bother you, then it doesn't. It sounds like this family is willing to do some work so that they can secure the spot. (But I would still do the other interviews.)

Good luck!
KSDC 10:20 AM 01-13-2017
I, personally, would offer the PT the option of moving to FT. If they want the FT spot it is theirs, if not, two weeks notice.

FT always trumps PT at my daycare. Yes, I love your children, but this is a business and I need to feed my children.

Edited to add: PT always takes longer to adjust. If DCK moves to full time, he will get with the groove much faster!
NillaWafers 10:25 AM 01-13-2017
Originally Posted by KSDC:
I, personally, would offer the PT the option of moving to FT. If they want the FT spot it is theirs, if not, two weeks notice.

FT always trumps PT at my daycare. Yes, I love your children, but this is a business and I need to feed my children.

Edited to add: PT always takes longer to adjust. If DCK moves to full time, he will get with the groove much faster!
Actually I was planning on doing that first. It would solve my being open late problem and I would only have one spot to fill. So once this other family gets back to me today I will be asking her if she would consider ft, otherwise I will term.
Cat Herder 10:57 AM 01-13-2017
6:20 is not too horrible in the summer, but really messes with me in winter. I dread working the dark-dark hours. They zap my inspiration and creativity. I need to get out into in the woods.

I just cut back to 5:30 and it was life altering. Hoping you can get the right fit to enjoy your spring and summer.
Blackcat31 11:17 AM 01-13-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
6:20 is not too horrible in the summer, but really messes with me in winter. I dread working the dark-dark hours. They zap my inspiration and creativity. I need to get out into in the woods.

I just cut back to 5:30 and it was life altering. Hoping you can get the right fit to enjoy your spring and summer.
I agree... even a minute later than my closing time and I just can't.....but if someone wants to pay for services earlier than opening time, I'm game.

I just can't do after. Once I recognized that and enforced the no late care, it WAS life altering.
CityGarden 11:21 AM 01-13-2017
I understand the need for income.... that said I feel you may come to resent being open that long of day, especially since you still have young children. Also it is not as if in 3 months when you are completely full and finances are different that you would be willing to stay open that late but then you would have two spots filled with these extended hours so in essence you would "fill" those spots short term but still most likely need to fill them down the road with families that do fit your hours.

That said, the bills still need to be paid now so I understand doing what you have to do to make that work!
Controlled Chaos 11:57 AM 01-13-2017
I might offer the later care for 3 months and then re evaluate, you can always keep interviewing and if you find someone else with better hours term the later family. It might sound cruel, but its business and like others have said, if they found longer/cheaper care they would leave in a heartbeat. Or if you hate the hours, but like the family tell them "You have 2 months to find a way to pick up by 5:30."
Good luck, I know these decisions are tough.
NillaWafers 11:10 AM 01-14-2017
I decided to turn them down. Ther other family I interviewed wasn't interested due to distance.

Hopefully husband will find something soon.
rosieteddy 06:59 AM 01-16-2017
Did you ask part time to go full time? That would probably help both financially and with the childs attitude.
NillaWafers 10:52 AM 01-19-2017
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Did you ask part time to go full time? That would probably help both financially and with the childs attitude.
No I haven't yet. I feel like if I have someone ready to fill the spot it would be better for me financially (and she is more likely to move to FT).

Husband found a job thank goodness! So a lot less financial stress, although we have about a month until we see the first paycheck.
Tags:long hours, long hours in care, terminate, terminate - feel bad
Reply Up