Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Phase Out Clients To Work Less Hours
trix23 09:00 PM 05-23-2017
How to phase out clients to work Less hours. In the beginning I originally take clients of varying hours just because I need the incoming to fill spots but at some point I want to have it be my main hours which I'm thinking 7 to 6 is pretty standard. If I'm at capacity and somebody else is interested in my daycare and their schedule fits my program better, and I want to enroll them, how do I go about that if I have a family that I have to boot or whatever?
childcaremom 03:25 AM 05-24-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
How to phase out clients to work Less hours. In the beginning I originally take clients of varying hours just because I need the incoming to fill spots but at some point I want to have it be my main hours which I'm thinking 7 to 6 is pretty standard. If I'm at capacity and somebody else is interested in my daycare and their schedule fits my program better, and I want to enroll them, how do I go about that if I have a family that I have to boot or whatever?
I started the same way. Once I reached capacity I decided what I wanted my hours to be and advertised for those hours. As I signed new clients, I gave notice to ones whose hours did not fit my new schedule.
Unregistered 05:59 AM 05-24-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I started the same way. Once I reached capacity I decided what I wanted my hours to be and advertised for those hours. As I signed new clients, I gave notice to ones whose hours did not fit my new schedule.
I want to do the same thing but im having a hard time with the idea of letting families down. I know its business, but I think the parents dont see it that way and will be emotional about it. But my sanity is on the line.
childcaremom 06:06 AM 05-24-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I want to do the same thing but im having a hard time with the idea of letting families down. I know its business, but I think the parents dont see it that way and will be emotional about it. But my sanity is on the line.
I struggle with that still after years in the business.

And when it's affecting your sanity, then it needs to be done.
daycarediva 06:08 AM 05-24-2017
I just handed the enrolled clients a notice stating that I was changing my hours, and when it would be effective. If it worked for them, great. If it didn't, the notice gave info on how to withdraw from my program. I ended up losing one family, and had a new family enrolled with less hours. After I managed a reduced work schedule, I started advertising and enrolling families with earlier pick up times. I now close around 4:30/(5 on some days).
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 05-24-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Sometimes when you haven't developed a super strong backbone yet, an easy way to get out of something is to add fees....then let clients do what works for them.

If you want your hours to be 7-6, then announce it but offer care outside of your regular hours for a fee....

Dear DCP,

Beginning July 1, 2017 ABC Child Care will be open from 7:00 A.M. to 6 P.M. If these hours do not work for your family, I will be sad to see you go but understand that families must do what is best for their needs. If this is the case, please refer to your policy handbook for withdrawal procedures.

Non-standard hours of care will be available before 7:00 A.M. for an additional fee of $10 per 15 minutes and scheduled in advance. Early drop offs that are not scheduled will not be allowed.

Additional services after 5 P.M. will also be available for an added fee of $10 per 15 minutes and must be scheduled in advance. Late pick ups without advance notice will be not be tolerated and may result in termination of services.

Something like that ^^^ might help give those early and late families the push they need to find other arrangements so they aren't taking up before and after business hours.

You could also do that (charge for extra care) for a temporary period of time so that it is a longer transition and provides clients the time to move on or adjust their work schedules to fit your business hours.

Remember that just just because a client has ideal hours it doesn't automatically mean they'll be ideal clients kwim?

I have a family that I open early for (they pay alot for it) and I keep them and keep doing it because they are excellent clients. If they were stressors for me, I'd never have agreed.

Either way, it really is up to you the hours you work. You have to decide what is worth more to you, the extra time or the money and sometimes there are times in our careers where we have to have a little of both.

You could also give parents a head's up..."I am trying to shorten my work day so I will be tightening up my hours of operation and this change will effect you. If I have a family wanting a full time space I will give you (the current client) the first option to take the space at the new hours. If you pass, I am going to enroll the new family and give you notice. (maybe don't say it that way...but let them know they'll have first option to the spot before you take it and give it to a new family)

Its also important to remember that any time you make changes for you that don't benefit all families someone will be upset, mad or down right rude. Don't take it personal.

We can't please everyone so focus on the one that matters; YOU!

Anyways, there are a few ideas and some things to think about.
trix23 10:56 AM 05-24-2017
Yes, thank you BlackCat. I am going to try to get all children paying full time rates for new ones enrolling (Even if they only attend part time) and also going to bump the late hours one (til 8pm) with a 2-weeks notice when the time comes (hard to find care those hours) and DCM is a single parent who pays all fees and tuition.
AmyKidsCo 12:56 PM 05-24-2017
ITA with daycarediva. When I shortened my hours I gave the parents a month notice and they all accommodated my new hours.
Ariana 03:21 PM 05-24-2017
11 hours a day is not good enough for your parents? Yikes!
trix23 06:21 PM 05-24-2017
I've only been in business for 6 months... lol. And we need the money so yes, I'm a bit lenient.
Ariana 09:20 AM 05-25-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
I've only been in business for 6 months... lol. And we need the money so yes, I'm a bit lenient.
We all make money and most of us don't work those long hours. This is a big pitfall of being new and trying to get clients, you really don't have to bend over backwards like this, especially if you feel your sanity is at risk
trix23 06:10 PM 05-25-2017
I still offer to interview with prospective clients but it's been sparse for that. I have them read my Handbook and then if in agreement of my polices, we schedule a tour.
Tags:contract - revisions, professionalism, terminate
Reply Up