Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Odd Situation!
Ariana 04:46 PM 11-16-2017
I just signed on a new family. The mom seems nice but didn’t want a tour or to meet me before signing her kid up which I thought was odd. I insisted and she didn’t ask me any questions about anything, just talked in general. She has an accent so we chatted a bit about why she was in Canada that sort of thing.

Today was her kids 3rd day. She is still within the 6 week trial period. She FB messaged me at 2:30pm to let me know if it was ok if she got DCG a little late (by 15min) because she had a meeting at 4pm. I agreed because she pays for 8 hours but drops off and picks up in 7 hour time frame. At 4:30pm I get a message saying she has a flat fire and is so stressed and is so sorry...she will change it quick and get here right away. I feel bad, ask her if she needs my DH to drive out and help her. She says no and that she is almost done. Then at 5:08pm she messages saying she is on her way. During this 1/2 an hour there were a few messages back and forth which I thought was odd since she is changing a flat tire but thought maybe she is worried I am mad or something.

Anyway she arrives at my door and she is completely dry (its pouring out and a little stormy), her hair and makeup are perfect. The kid cries and does not want to go with her. Literally starts crying reaching for me As mom pulls out of the driveway I see all 4 tires on her car and not one is a spare tire.

I feel like I have been duped. What do you make of this?
Sweet pea 04:52 PM 11-16-2017
Just rack it up to experience and dont trust her again tell her she needs a back up plan/ emergency contact for late collection
midaycare 05:13 PM 11-16-2017
You would think she would realize that you are smart enough to figure this out! I mean, put some effort into your lies, people!

I would keep an eye on the situation and just tell her no to late pickups from now on. If dcg is good and dcf pays on time...and the rules are mostly followed, I'd keep them. The dcg thing is a little weird, but...sometimes my kids don't want to go with their parents, either.
storybookending 05:45 PM 11-16-2017
My first thought was she called someone else to change her tire and didn’t actually do it herself/get out of the car.. that’s what I would do, I can’t change a flat.. but I mean all parents are liars so it could be that too. I’d give her the benefit of the doubt but if it happened again then I’d be leery.

ETA my niece cries every night when she leaves, if just day she was having fun at your house with her new friends
Ariana 05:58 PM 11-16-2017
All of these things have crossed my mind for sure! I have had kids not want to go home as well but not usually at 3 days in and first time I have seen her after a 2 week vacation!

When she came to the door I said “oh my gosh you poor woman, I wouldn’t have had the first clue how to change a tire” and she told me she googled it. So she changed it herself.

I had thought that maybe she was in underground parking when it happened....but that does not explain the lack of spare tire.

Definitely have my BS metre on
Mike 07:19 PM 11-16-2017
Could be she doesn't use a dummy spare. I know I never do. Hate them. I always have a real spare.

Still, if she claims she did it herself, even if underground, changing a tire is dirty work.
midaycare 07:29 PM 11-16-2017
Haha, yeah. Let me just Google how to change a spare tire. Unless she's super handy...

Oh well, let her have her moment.
lblanke 08:26 PM 11-16-2017
More likely she googled AAA if she did change a tire.
HappyEverAfter 09:06 PM 11-16-2017
Sounds like she lied some. I feel like she may be one of those people who always has something dramatic happening. I'd keep an eye on her for sure.
I have a dcg who sometimes cries and doesn't want to leave, once even ran and hid under my kitchen table and had to be removed by force while kicking and screaming. But it is because she has so much fun here and not because she doesn't like her parents. All day long she asks about them and she gets excited when they arrive but then doesn't want to leave. She'd prefer they stay and play. That said, she definitely wasn't doing that at day 3 of care so the fact that yours did makes me curious as to why. But I suppose it's possible dcm isn't very motherly seeing that she didn't care to tour or interview you before signing up and if that's the case then she may not be giving dcg any attention or affection at home which could explain the dcg's behavior.
Josiegirl 02:28 AM 11-17-2017
Very suspicious indeed. First she asks if she can be late by 15 minutes, but then she ends up with a flat tire. Coincidence?? Maybe. But call me a cynical skeptic.

Haha, arrives clean and dry, googled how to change it herself.
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 11-17-2017
Like Mike, all our "spare" tires are regular tires so that part could be true.

I don't know, I guess I'd just chalk it up to a newbie daycare parent that was simply running late but felt it was necessary to come up with some sort of "emergency" so the lateness would be better received verses her just admitting she lost track of time or stopped at the store or something...kwim?

Good news is she used up the flat tire excuse already so it more than likely wont happen again.
amberrose3dg 09:40 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Like Mike, all our "spare" tires are regular tires so that part could be true.

I don't know, I guess I'd just chalk it up to a newbie daycare parent that was simply running late but felt it was necessary to come up with some sort of "emergency" so the lateness would be better received verses her just admitting she lost track of time or stopped at the store or something...kwim?

Good news is she used up the flat tire excuse already so it more than likely wont happen again.
I had a parent like that. She picked up early on Friday's at noon. She always had some real bad luck.(I'm sure it was crap i don't feel like getting my kid yet let me go run a few errands first)
Flat tires, dead batteries, kids with broken limbs. I kid you not she picked up on time like 1 Friday a month if I was lucky.
Ariana 10:03 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
Could be she doesn't use a dummy spare. I know I never do. Hate them. I always have a real spare.

Still, if she claims she did it herself, even if underground, changing a tire is dirty work.
But a real size spare with the same rims? Like literally all the tires are the same. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt that she had 5 tires with all the same rims but in all honesty its a long shot!

I agree, sweaty and dishevelled at least! I honestly have no clue how a woman could have the strength to take the lugnuts off. I have seen my husband do it and its not easy.
Ariana 10:05 AM 11-17-2017
Messaged me this morning that a guy was shot in front of her kids school and the roads were closed. I thought “what the???” You’re pushing your luck here lady.

It turns out it was true!

Yes BC that is what my husband said! Well she can’t use that excuse anymore
Josiegirl 10:23 AM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
But a real size spare with the same rims? Like literally all the tires are the same. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt that she had 5 tires with all the same rims but in all honesty its a long shot!

I agree, sweaty and dishevelled at least! I honestly have no clue how a woman could have the strength to take the lugnuts off. I have seen my husband do it and its not easy.
I think you need a new job. P.I. comes to mind. You'd be good.
amberrose3dg 10:25 AM 11-17-2017
Years ago I had to change my own tire. I did it but it took me a while and I had to jump on the wrench to get the lugnuts off.
Ariana 12:35 PM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I think you need a new job. P.I. comes to mind. You'd be good.
My husband says I would make the best cop
CalCare 02:30 PM 11-17-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
My first thought was she called someone else to change her tire and didn’t actually do it herself/get out of the car.. that’s what I would do, I can’t change a flat.. but I mean all parents are liars so it could be that too. I’d give her the benefit of the doubt but if it happened again then I’d be leery.

ETA my niece cries every night when she leaves, if just day she was having fun at your house with her new friends
Lol "but I mean, all parents are liars, sooo"
LysesKids 01:02 PM 11-20-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My husband says I would make the best cop
See my career before daycare was running documents to & thru the courts/Judges/jails/bail bondsman/MVA etc, serving said court documents (some were for child support) & skip tracing... I even did stake outs once in a Blue Moon; I make sure my parents know about my previous career on my website... keeps the wackos out for sure.
Mom2Two 03:25 PM 11-20-2017
Our car insurance covers emergency road side service--that maybe patches tires on the spot??? I'm not sure if that's possible tho. Maybe just ask more questions next time.

I've changed tires myself before, and I found it awful. I can't remember how I got the lug nuts off, but I think I had to beat on the end of the wrench with a hammer to get it to move. I usually ended up with some guy stopping to help.
Unregistered 09:21 PM 11-20-2017
My husband’s vehicle actually came with a full size spare on it. Not a donut. Maybe hers did too?
Ariana 06:21 AM 11-21-2017
Oopsy
Tags:trust - not, trustworthiness
Reply Up