Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Termination..Then Letting Others Know
happykidschildcare 01:48 PM 03-08-2011
I have a close nit group of kids we had 11 enrolled alot of them have know eachother for 2+ years some even longer. Kids and parents notice when someone is gone. How do you tell parents that you terminated with another family without sounding cold & heartless? ( I have another post of the term over the phone on the spot)
With the kids its easy I just tell them their friend had to go to a new dc.
But parents always want to know whats up...So let me know how would you go about it ladies?
daycare 02:04 PM 03-08-2011
I dont tell them anything, if they ask, I just tell them that the family had to move on. I think the less the better
treehugger82 02:18 PM 03-08-2011
I would say as little as possible, and if they push for more information, say something along the lines of "can't discuss it further due to privacy issues".
daycare 02:22 PM 03-08-2011
Originally Posted by treehugger82:
I would say as little as possible, and if they push for more information, say something along the lines of "can't discuss it further due to privacy issues".
ditto... I often say Im sorry I am not a liberty to discuss any other family with you and i hope you know that I don't discuss your family issues with anyone either....
Lianne 04:04 PM 03-08-2011
I was faced with this this morning. I terminated someone and this morning was his first morning 'not here'. When asked, I just told the others that the family moved on due to differences of opinions.

This way, there's no blame, no discussion of personal matters, etc.
ninosqueridos 05:41 PM 03-08-2011
I haven't used "I can't disclose for privacy reasons" b/c then it leaves it open for BEING termed instead of TERMING someone. So I've used "Unfortunately, I had to let them go" and leave it at that. Most parents will just say "oh, ok" and move on. I had a parent ask, "really? why?" and I just tell them I had some differences with the parents...to which they said, "well, this is your business and you have to do what you have to do." love my dcps!!
SilverSabre25 05:47 PM 03-08-2011
I just say that circumstances changed and the family needed to find alternate arrangements. That leaves it open for job change, hours change, moving, whatever.
Tags:termination
Reply Up