Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Termination & Vacation Question!
momofboys 08:01 PM 03-17-2011
In a nutshell I have decided that being an at-home daycare provider is not my cup of tea. Not that I do not enjoy it but I only have one family & have had a hard time attracting clients (small town/tons of providers!). Anyway, I had an interview late last week for a job outside of the home. This evening I found out I got the job & so I need to give my DCF notice tomorrow. Here's my issue. . . & I recall this being on here before but I failed to find it when I searched the termnation posts. The last week of MArch I am closed due to my kids' spring break (unpaid). DCF has known about it for months. So is it fair to count that in my 2 week notice since even though I am not providing care for them they have known about it forever?! I can't wait 3 weeks to start this job. Advice?

I didn't word the ending very well. What I meant to say was if I don't include my vacation week it looks like I am only giving one week notice & I would then have to tack an extra week on which would actually be 3 weeks.
nikia 08:24 PM 03-17-2011
I too am closing and also have vacation I included my vacation in their notice because they knew about my vacation, the only difference for me is with my vacation added it ended up being a 5 week notice. I think if you explain it to your family they will understand.
Abigail 11:46 PM 03-17-2011
If you need your new job and can only give a two-week notice before starting, that is fine. You're only watching one family and as you said you're in a small town with many providers.
nannyde 03:10 AM 03-18-2011
Sure include it. It's unpaid so they should be fine with that.
MN Day Mom 04:41 AM 03-18-2011
As long as you agreed to give two weeks notice I see nothing wrong it... I would include that week as one of the weeks.
Pammie 04:51 AM 03-18-2011
Definitely count your vacation week - you're still giving them two weeks to find alternative care - which is the whole basis of giving a two week notice

Congratulations on your new job
safechner 05:41 AM 03-18-2011
Two weeks should be good enough. I am planning to close my daycare this summer for good on June 10th but I will be giving them a two weeks notice to be staying at home mom with my girls for the whole summer and going back to school full time this fall.
Tags:job change, notice, termination, vacation
Reply Up