Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Considering Termination
Unregistered 04:06 AM 12-21-2011
I have a family driving me crazy and stressing me out. I decided earlier this year I was going to a weekly rate in 2012. I sat down and talked with everyone let them know what their weekly rate would be and tried working with everyone months ahead of time. The one family decided they were going to try for the daycare subsidy and were approved. They have 2 kids mom and dad are separated. One child is in school and I never get them unless holidays or school closings so I will only be charging $25 a day they are dropped in. The other child is "supposed" to be here mon,wed, thur, and fri. Mom has a hard time working a full week so this girl isn't here A LOT. I am going to be charging a weekly rate of $100 for the child I get. Thats $25 per day. Okay so heres the deal they have the subsidy but the child is only here for an hour and a half each day except thursday she is supposed to be here over 3 hrs. I only get paid $6 a day for the hour and a half and $20 for the 3+ hrs so thats only $38 a week still leaving them responsible for $62, $31 for each parent. Mom won't sign contract because she says I'm too expensive and she doesn't know anyone that gets paid $25 an hour (she can't get through her head shes paying for the spot not the time) and in the summer the kids are here any wheres from 8 to 10 hours giving me an hourly rate of $2.50 but thats justifiable she says (grrrr). So to say the least I'm pissed off and I think what I will be telling dad (the parent that is working with me and understanding and signed his contract already) that if I don't have a signed contract by mom or a written agreement between them as to how the additional money will be paid by January 1st I will be terminating care. Am I wrong?
small_steps 05:11 AM 12-21-2011
Nope! I would do the same thing. Give her a deadline and stick to it. She obviously doesn't respect your policies on payment or even your business for that matter as she can't understand that you can only have so many and that she isn't paying for the time the kids are there but the actual spot they take up just by being enrolled.
Crazy8 05:19 AM 12-21-2011
I don't think you are wrong at all - if she doesn't sign the contract and agree to the terms SHE is terminating care. Plain and simple. If she thinks you are too expensive she can go elsewhere.

I don't allow divorced parents to pay separately - so the only alternative for me would be for dad to pay the entire amount if he's willing and doesn't want to lose you and he can deal with mom to get what she owes.
Unregistered 05:38 AM 12-21-2011
Thanks, that is why I am going to talk to him today when he comes at pick up, I am gonna see if shes talked to him if not I am going to let him know what I plan on doing as far as the unsigned contract and if he offers to pay then it will just be an issue between her and I for the contract. I have one more question, since she is on the subsidy if she doesn't pay me what is left of my fee can't I turn her in and they will take away her daycare benefits? I am sick of this mom thinking shes entitled to free everything and am ready to teach her a lesson maybe it will save the next provider the stress I have been dealing with.
Blackcat31 07:40 AM 12-21-2011
I agree that you should be prepared to term. Set your rates and stick to them.

If the DCM doesn't like it then she can look elsewhere. I am have long ago let go of the worry I used to have about how parents were going to afford me or the changes I make but in reality, it is their problem to work out. You have one space available for $100 per week, they can take it or leave it. It IS that simple.

I also agree with LittleDiamonds.....NEVER allow divorced parents to pay separately. They share a child so they share the responsibility but they need to work out who will be paying you and who will be collecting from the other. YOU are not divorced from them so again, this is their problem, NOT yours.
Ariana 07:45 AM 12-21-2011
Why is she setting YOUR rates and arguing with you? This doesn't make any sense, she's not running YOUR business. I would tell her to get her act together or you will be filling her spot. Next time she argues with her tell her you will be filling her spot in 2 weeks.
Unregistered 08:13 AM 12-21-2011
I don't know why she is doing this the only reason I can come up with is it will cut into her spending money on things should would rather be doing, some of her extra curricular (sp?) activities are expensive and she likes to do them every weekend.

She was my babysitter for my kids for a few years and my husband and I never complained about her rates even when she said she needed to raise them, she was babysitting under the table so she didn't have a limited amount of spots either so thats why she never had to charge like I am.

I can't wait for this afternoon to get here so I can get this off my chest and breath a little easier again. If I can't get things straight in 2012 and less stressful I will be finishing out my 2 years of daycare registration and not registering again this isn't how I wanted it to be, and I love the kids I watch minus their parents most of the time.
cheerfuldom 08:57 AM 12-21-2011
Print out another copy of the contract and put the payment arrangements in bold. Allow them one week to sign, return, and abide by the policies otherwise you will terminate them. That way, they are the ones deciding to leave due to the contract changes. I put deadlines on EVERYTHING
Tags:bad fit, stressed, terminate
Reply Up