Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Letting a Child Go???
busymommy0420 03:19 PM 01-17-2012
I have been having a hard time doing daycare 10 hours a day plus getting my chores done, helping with homework and helping my special needs daughter. I watch the following children: DCG "2" (7:30-5:30) DCG "3" (10:00-4:30) DCG "4" (10:00-2:00) DCG "6" (3:00-5:00) DCB "10" (3:00-5:00) & DCG "9" (7:30-8:30) all Monday through Friday. I feel burnt out by the end of the week and have now decided to ask the DCG "2" to look for alternative care two days a week. I was super honest about my own daughter who is also two and her needs. The DCG is the only child I have 10 hours each day and if I can have her two less days I feel that would be great. I explained to the Mom that I would love to keep her here three days if she finds someone willing to do the other two days. I also said I understood if she wanted to find someone fulltime instead. I hope she is understanding. Has anyone else ever had to let a child go because it was too much on you?
Heidi 04:30 PM 01-17-2012
I have let a child go because of other reasons, and I have let other things go, just not that particular combo.

You have to do what is best for your family!
dave4him 04:33 PM 01-17-2012
I would, but right now i figure starting small is a good idea
AfterSchoolMom 05:33 PM 01-17-2012
I just did this. I felt really bad about it, as they were brand new and had only been coming for two weeks...but it was just too much for me to handle right now. I feel alot better about it and as soon as I did it, it felt like a weight had been lifted. You'll know deep down if it's the right decision for you. I'm all about us doing what's best for ourselves and our own families...that's what the parents do (for themselves, that is)!
pfund2233 08:17 PM 01-17-2012
I'm letting one go after my one dcb returns from 6 weeks being home with a broken femer. The one I'm letting go is getting to be a handfull. (he's 2 and have had him since you was 9mo) Mom is well kinda a nut case... seriously! If I let him go I'll have 3 dck mon-thurs and only 1 on fridays till 3pm!! Would be great to be done on fridays early!! Hoping to do this by March 1st or so...
Zoe 07:47 AM 01-18-2012
I had to do it after 2 days of adding a second child to my second shift. I just couldn't handle a large group in the evenings and this child wasn't necessarily naughty or anything, he was just high energy and I couldn't handle that after already doing first shift daycare.

The worst part was that mom was sisters with the other second shift family. I was honest about it and she understood. Miraculously the sister stayed with me, as she understood why I couldn't take on any more kids.

Some people might not be as understanding, but you just have to be honest and do what's best for you and your family.
Ariana 09:33 AM 01-18-2012
Yes I've termed because I found a kid to be too much absolutely and I'd do it again!
busymommy0420 09:52 AM 01-18-2012
Well change of plans...DCP cried and asked me not to have her find someone else two days a week. She said she loves me and her daughter loves me and my girls very much. I am a softie so agreed. If she had left the two days I would have lost $62 a week so with that I am thinking about hiring someone to come help for six hours a week @ $10.00 an hour to alleviate some of the stress. It made me feel good that she appreciates what I do and her daughter is truly happy here. My rates are average to above average so I know she could find cheaper care but really likes my program.

Now to find a helper...
familyschoolcare 10:29 AM 01-18-2012
So ...

Now that you have decied to hire a helper. I have a sujjestion. Do not know if it is one that would work for your situation but thought I would share the

sujjestion anyway. Perhaps having someone come to your house just to help with your daughter might be very helpfull, some special needs children quailify

for statefunded helpers to the house. Again do not know if this is something that will work for you and your family and even if it would be more helpfull or not.
busymommy0420 11:22 AM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
So ...

Now that you have decied to hire a helper. I have a sujjestion. Do not know if it is one that would work for your situation but thought I would share the

sujjestion anyway. Perhaps having someone come to your house just to help with your daughter might be very helpfull, some special needs children quailify

for statefunded helpers to the house. Again do not know if this is something that will work for you and your family and even if it would be more helpfull or not.
That is in the works. I am in NY and have reached out to early intervention for my daughter. A little history we brought my daughter home on her second day of life and adopted her when she was 18 months old. She was exposed (heavily) to nicotine, cocaine and alcohol while in -utero. She suffers still with severe asthma/lung issues requiring a nebulizer at least twice a day and has sensory issues, oral motor issues and attachment issues. She did not roll over until she was 9 months old and walked at 15 months old. I am her biggest advocate and will do everything to help her succeed. All my daycare families know about my daughter and are super supportive. I would like to be the one working with her and her special helper and have a daycare helper to help with the other children. Thanks!!!
Tags:burnt out, long day, provider - burnout risk, terminate
Reply Up