Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Abuse
kayla 08:46 AM 02-24-2012
OMG friday ruined again. I had a child show up with a bruise on his eye. He told me that his dad(step dad) pulled him down the bunk bed ladder to spank him, mind you this isnt the first. One day same child showed up with a bruise on same eye because dad hit him. When i called cps he told the social worker that came to my house that his brother threw a toy at him... Now im terrified for this little boy.
PitterPatter 08:49 AM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by kayla:
OMG friday ruined again. I had a child show up with a bruise on his eye. He told me that his dad(step dad) pulled him down the bunk bed ladder to spank him, mind you this isnt the first. One day same child showed up with a bruise on same eye because dad hit him. When i called cps he told the social worker that came to my house that his brother threw a toy at him... Now im terrified for this little boy.
Do you have permission for pics and video? I have each parent sign giving me permission just in case. I would record him on video telling you the story just in case he changes the story again. Poor kid at least he is brave enough to tell you!
Crystal 09:04 AM 02-24-2012
Document, with photos and a written account of the child's description of the incident. Call CPS. Do it every single time you see it. Over time, a pattern will develop that CPS will see and it will be taken care of, even if the child changes his story with CPS.

Good luck to you, this is a situation nobody likes to be in
SunshineMama 09:06 AM 02-24-2012
I just want to reach out and give you a virtual hug!

I have been reading your posts the past few days and it looks like you have some tough situations you are having to deal with, with your dcf's.

Bless your heart! How are you staying sane?
daycare 09:13 AM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
Do you have permission for pics and video? I have each parent sign giving me permission just in case. I would record him on video telling you the story just in case he changes the story again. Poor kid at least he is brave enough to tell you!
when there is suspected abuse, you don't need permission to take photo or video.... I just learned that in a class a few months ago.....
Sunchimes 09:24 AM 02-24-2012
That's not a word that any of us want to read in a forum subject, is it? Keeping you and this child in my thoughts.
kayla 09:36 AM 02-24-2012
I honestly dont know what to do anymore... I feel like maybe i should quit, If this is all i keep seeing... I dont understand i just want to have good parents.
familyschoolcare 10:20 AM 02-24-2012
I undestand you are sad and would like good parents.

Maybe the reason you are getting thise children is because you are willing to call CPS and not just ignore the situation. I know that does not help deal with the daily

seeing of it. Please say positive. You and all the people invovled will be inmy thoughts and prayers. Please call again and keep us posteed. Like said earlier if

nothing else a pattern will be established.
Heidi 10:24 AM 02-24-2012
Oh Kayla!

You have some real winners there don't you?

The other ladies are right. Document, photgraph, and call CPS!
MrsB 10:25 AM 02-24-2012
So sorry Kayla you have to go through this. The MOST absolutely heartbreaking part of our job.

Big hugs and prayers for you and that poor little boy.
Childminder 10:52 AM 02-24-2012
It makes you ill when you have to call CPS, but you would feel worse if you didn't and something worse happened to the boy. I understand how you feel, I have felt the same way. Take photos and document in your own records. Tis the worst part of our job.
kayla 10:58 AM 02-24-2012
The county just returned my call... Now i wrote up a report of the incident. I am just a little worried though because the last time i called it was not confidential now im worried about the parents retaliating... I just wonder how many bruises does this child need to be put in a safe environment..
harperluu 11:14 AM 02-24-2012
Have you contacted your licensor? They should be an advocate for you and help support your decision to report; they are part of the social service chain and an email to them would be one more way for you to document your actions.

Feel empowered. You are doing the right thing. I think of all the times when neighbors/family are interviewed after a child is murdered, and they witness incidents but never report. These children are lucky to have you in their corner. Recently, various individuals witnessed that 9-year-old girl running herself to death and no one stepped in to stop it. No one called police to report. But you ARE doing something. Good for you, and good luck.
kayla 11:43 AM 02-24-2012
I didnt but after seeing your post i emailed her letting her know the situation, and also letting her know I was worried about retaliation. I know I did the right thing its just a hard pill to swallow. I don't want him to keep getting hurt, and like I said cps doesnt do anything about it, my heart breaks for this child. I hope maybe something will happen this time..
littlemommy 12:15 PM 02-24-2012
have you ever asked the boy at drop off when you first see him what happened? i wonder what dad (or mom) would say then? it'd be interesting to see what they say and then what the boy told you after they left...and just to see how the boy reacts when his dad covers it up with a lie.

Poor kid. I hope CPS will help him. At least if you call again you will know that you have done what you can to help! I've had to call a DCK in before, and it's not fun. I'll always wonder how he's doing and if his life has straightened out.
kayla 12:24 PM 02-24-2012
I would but the dad always takes off right away and this morning i was busy feeding a baby a bottle when he got here so i didnt even get to see til about a half hour later. And the last time i asked the mom said that the boy said it happened here...so i think the dad makes up stories and tells the child now if anyone asks what happens... because also the last time this happened the kid was a no call no show on fri and came mon with a bruise and when i said to the mom oh yeah how come you didnt call on fri she looked confused like she didnt know the dad kept him home
littlemissmuffet 06:33 PM 02-24-2012
Oh honey. So sorry you have been put in this situation. That poor child. I am so glad that you called CPS and made a report - I know it is not always an easy step to take. Good for you.

I just read your other post as well... I think you should call mom back and see what she was calling about so that you can handle it now and not have to stress over it all weekend. I'm sure you have enough on your plate right now worry about your little dcb.

Good luck with this whole situation and huge (((hugs)))!
Crystal 08:14 PM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by kayla:
I would but the dad always takes off right away and this morning i was busy feeding a baby a bottle when he got here so i didnt even get to see til about a half hour later. And the last time i asked the mom said that the boy said it happened here...so i think the dad makes up stories and tells the child now if anyone asks what happens... because also the last time this happened the kid was a no call no show on fri and came mon with a bruise and when i said to the mom oh yeah how come you didnt call on fri she looked confused like she didnt know the dad kept him home
You need to pull Mom aside and talk to her confidentially. There is a strong possibility Mom is inan abusive situation herself and needs outreach to become strong enough to protect her child. I am surprised CPS hasn't considered this.

Again, good luck
Tags:mandated reporter
Reply Up