Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Food Program
DonnaJean 11:49 AM 10-23-2012
Problems with the food program...I'm a parent of a child who attends a daycare center in the State of Michigan. I pay for my child's care and food is included in the cost. They sent home a form to be filled out for the food program. I did not want to provide my income, because I make too much to quailify for free or reduced lunches. It is clear that they get re-embursement for some of the food they provide the children, it is also clear that if they spend $1,000, at the end of the year in their Taxes, they can get back around $600 or $700.

The problem is the State of Michigan website states that any family that is above a certian income bracket does not have to fill out the household income verifcation form. But the Daycare says that if I do not fill it out, then my child will not be allowed to eat the centers food. I remind you that the cost of the food is included in the weekly rate I pay.

I'm frustrated and very confused...can some one clarify how a center can refuse my child the centers food (that is included in the weekly rate) just because I do not want to provide my income?
Michael 11:54 AM 10-23-2012
Welcome to the daycare.com forum DonnaJean. Suggest you register.
DonnaJean 11:56 AM 10-23-2012
Just verified my registration
Blackcat31 12:02 PM 10-23-2012
Originally Posted by DonnaJean:
Just verified my registration
Welcome to the forum!
DonnaJean 12:05 PM 10-23-2012
Thank you Micheal and Blackcat
DonnaJean 12:06 PM 10-23-2012
correction *Michael
Cat Herder 12:08 PM 10-23-2012
Typically, The food is "provided" by the centers ability to have the food program reimburse them, not by being funded by your tuition.

I think many cannot get reimbursed unless you fill out the forms.

It was mandatory back when I participated.
Blackcat31 12:13 PM 10-23-2012
Providers are paid on two different levels. If a provider meets certain requirements, then they get paid a higher reimbursement rate. If the provider herself does not meet those guidelines, she gets paid the lower reimbursement rate but has the option of having the parents fill out the income verification worksheet. If the parents meet the income verification guidelines, then that child's meals will be reimbursed at the higher rate.

Parents do NOT have to fill out the income verification form but if they do not, then they can't be on the food program and if they arent participating in the food program the center either has topay for that child's meal out of thier own income or not provide the meals for them.

Hope that makes sense. I am sure the center is saying that your child can't have their food becuase you techinically aren't willing to "apply" for the program.
DonnaJean 01:14 PM 10-23-2012
Ok that is where I'm confused...

I pay for my childs care, where food is calculated in the amount I pay already.

So even if I did fill it out they would get 27 cents or something if I was rated as a "C"

So I don't see where any of it is a big deal if I do not choose to participate since I'm willing to pay for my childs food.

It would be crazy for me to pay for his care (where food is already calculated in), buy food and send it in there for him to eat also.
itlw8 05:42 PM 10-23-2012
This is a center not a family childcare right? Center participation is different than famiy chidcare. I believe centers can only participate if a certain percentage of children qualify . I do not think they can force you to fill it out though. On that form there should be their sponsor. you could call and find out it they can make you fill it out or refuse to feed your child.

You could ask for an address to send it yourself as it is not their business of your income.

A center person who does the food program needs to answer this really. I do know one and I will ask the center rule.
BumbleBee 08:23 PM 10-23-2012
I used to work in a center in the state of Michigan.

No they cannot force you to fill out the form. If you choose not to, expect that you will have to provide the food each day OR pay more to cover the cost.

The center may state that meals/snacks are included in tuition however, the only way they can provide the food while keeping tuition reasonable is to get reimbursed through the food program. Without the reimbursement from the food program the weekly tuition would be higher.

For example:

Cost per child to run daycare weekly including food= $125

- reimbursement for food from food program per child weekly = $25

Your tuition = $100 while on food program. $125 while not on food program due to no reimbursement.

As far as the taxes at the end of the year I have no idea as I didn't deal w/that aspect.
itlw8 11:11 AM 10-24-2012
I checked with the center owner I knew and she said it was part of her enrollment packet all parents filled it out. If they participate in the food program they HAVE to enroll all chilldren though the parent may check they wish to not participate and then they bring the childs food.

I would just fill it out and tell them you prefer to not show them your income or personal information. then If the sponsor does need it mail it directly to the sponsor.
DonnaJean 03:20 PM 10-24-2012
Thank you all that responded...I understand it much better.

So If the daycare would have just explained that they need everyone to fill out the form and the reason why, I would have no problem in giving them the information they need.

But instead, I was told that I could not place an N/A on the form, that I must put my income or my child would not be able to eat their food. Period

So, Now I understand that even though we pay the fee, it really doesn't include the cost of the food, even though they say it does. They say it does, because they are on the food program. So, If they do not get everyone to participate then they cannot be on the program, and everyone would have to pay extra. I hope I understand it right now.

I have no problem helping them get on the program, I just don't feel its any of their business what our income is. And I certainly don't like the way it was presented. The presentation seemed very negative and threatening to me. That if I don't do something they want me to do...my child will not get something he needs, and you will have to give more.

I appreciate the information, it seems alot clearer now.
Willow 06:26 PM 10-24-2012
Can I just add that as a provider I'm a little shocked by this requirement for centers????

I fail to see how it is or should be any different than family child care

That sort of information is NOT the governments business nor should it be relevant to anything having to do with caring for someone else's child. It's not personal/individual assistance for criminey's sake.

If I was required to obtain such private details from my daycare parents I would simply refuse to be affiliated with a food program.

I'm sorry but this just blows my mind...........
itlw8 11:54 AM 10-25-2012
found it I knew I read somewhere there was a difference between center and family chidcare

this is the difference. 4) Each child care center participating in the Program shall claim only the meal types specified in its approved application in accordance with the meal pattern requirements specified in § 226.20. For-profit child care centers may not claim reimbursement for meals served to children in any month in which less than 25 percent of the children in care (enrolled or licensed capacity, whichever is less) were eligible for free or reduced price meals or were title XX beneficiaries. However, children who only receive at-risk afterschool snacks and/or at-risk afterschool meals must not be included in this percentage.. Menus and any other nutritional records required by the State agency shall be maintained to document compliance with such requirements.

So they much have 25% low income students to participate.That is why they need everyone to fil it out. ANd if they have enough to participate it should keep tuition cost down for all.
daycarediva 05:10 PM 10-25-2012
I only have to have parents fill that information in if I want to claim a higher benefit rate for the lower income children. If a certain % of my children are under income limits, then I believe there is a higher benefit rate as well.

I just do the standard lower rate (we are in a higher income area). I would NEVER ask my daycare parents about their income.
Unregistered 11:49 PM 03-06-2013
I checked with the center owner I knew and she said it was part of her enrollment packet all parents filled it out. So you need not to warry about that form it is a part of official formality
MarinaVanessa 11:20 AM 03-07-2013
I suppose that the center could have worded it differently and explained it better for their own purposes and so that parents can understand better. In essence the food program enrollment form does not HAVE to be filled out but a center OR FCC can require it as a part of their enrollment. I do.

But I explain it a bit differently. I have a list in the handbook of necessary forms that are required (by me and some by licensing) in order to enroll a child into my daycare. The food program enrollment form is one of them. Any one of the forms missing or incomplete and I won't accept a child. Forms have to be renewed annually.

I also word the meal thing differently to say that ... there is no additional cost for meals. In a way my meals are included in the price of daycare but I don't say it like that, I say that the food is a bonus and that no additional cost is required by the parent. If they don't turn in the enrollment form or it's incomplete and I can't get reimbursed for those meals then they are required to provide the child's meals, remember .. I don't charge extra for the meals but they are a bonus if I get the paperwork filled out.

So if the center is requiring a client to fill out food program paperwork that the center has never disclosed is necessary and they advertise that meals are included in the price of child care then I don't see how they can force to have a client fill out a form or otherwise not get meals. I think they should reword their policies a bit.

But I am glad that you have a little bit more of an understanding of how the food program reimbursements work and are satisfied now with with the reasons to their request.
Hunni Bee 04:12 PM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Can I just add that as a provider I'm a little shocked by this requirement for centers????

I fail to see how it is or should be any different than family child care

That sort of information is NOT the governments business nor should it be relevant to anything having to do with caring for someone else's child. It's not personal/individual assistance for criminey's sake.

If I was required to obtain such private details from my daycare parents I would simply refuse to be affiliated with a food program.

I'm sorry but this just blows my mind...........
Yes, it's ridiculous. We had to collect the same info, along with what neighborhoods our families lived in, their races, etc.
Tags:food program
Reply Up