Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Employee
candissos 06:45 AM 01-18-2013
Hi this question is for providers with employees. I need to let my worker go because she doesn't wanna to work and only has been employed with me for 3 weeks now. Well im not sure how to let her go and Im wanting to give her a term letter. Can anyone help me with some ideas of what to put in the letter?
kitykids3 11:26 AM 01-18-2013
Just out of curiosity, have you talked to her about the issues?
I'm usually one to try and give my assistants breaks. If they aren't quite 'up to par', especially if they are new, I drop hints or sometimes flat out tell them what I am looking to see from them. Sometimes they just don't know particularly what I want them to be doing. However, I am a particular lady to work for as I want them following ALL licensing and Youngstar rules because it is my reputation on the line. The employees usually don't know them all by heart.
What do you mean when you say she doesn't want to work? Does she come to work and not do anything? Or does she not come when scheduled? Are you clear to her about what you want her to be doing?
kitykids3 11:27 AM 01-18-2013
OK, so that was no help. Sorry.

I've never had to personally term, so I would not know. Can you google employee term letters and get some ideas if you're sure that's what you want to do?
candissos 02:37 PM 01-18-2013
She comes to work may be 2 times out of her schedule days. I tell her what I would like her to do everyday and when I ask is there anything she doesn't understands. She says I understand every thing. My problem is that every Friday she has a reason not to come to work. She has only been her 3 wks and only works 4 days part time. When she is here I find myself doing all the work while she stands around looking at the kids. I feel like im wasting my money and my time with someone who doesn't want to work.
Abigail 05:23 PM 01-18-2013
Have you ever had an employee before? It sounds like you never provided training one on one with this girl or had expectations besides just being a body in the room. If you have hired her on as an employee make sure you have the correct insurances and unemployment paid for so when you fire her you're covered.

Do you need her for the ratio reason or just want an extra hand or want time off? What hours and days have you scheduled her and why do you allow her to only show up once in awhile?
ashleyh 05:53 PM 01-18-2013
There's a few things I see that can be done here - but is your state an at will work state/right to hire right to fire?

Do you have a written attendance policy...job description...etc for employees to follow? Employee handbook?

1.) verbal warning, and document it in her file. discuss job expectations and make it clear to her what is expected. I suggest using the "sandwich" approach here. Say something good, then come to the part thats not good, then end something on a good note...if things don't change than move to a written, then term.

2.) You could skip to a written warning instead of a verbal however she still may contest she really didn't know. without documentation there technically isn't proof you guys talked about expectations.

3.) Confront her with an undocumented discussion, then moved to a more serious approach with the verbal, then a written. then term if still not doing the work

4.) Term and call it quits on her not showing up/not performing job duties as discussed previously.

Dear So-So

In the time my daycare has expanded I have learned I needed an assistant to perform duties that included but not limited to: ***X

On (*** dates) I have discussed what was needed to be done and if these duties were understood. Unfortunately since this time I have witnessed"*** behaviors" or insert dates of missed work or insert missed duties.

(Insert what you have done to discuss the issues, stick to facts only and avoid feelings)

Consistant attendance and performance is needed to provide quality care to the children enrolled in our program. Unfortunately because of "insert reasons of termination" I will no longer be able to have a position open for you as of *** date.

I wish you the best in the future,

Sign/date
Sprouts 08:53 PM 01-20-2013
Do u have an employee contract or handbook? I made a todo list, pretty much a detailed schedule of what is done through out the whole day, and I explain that if they find themselves with nothing to do, the take a look at the to Do list.

Definitely write a written warning and have her sign it. If I would like to see what I use , pm me and I can email to you.
Abigail 12:48 AM 01-21-2013
Once again, I'm not sure if I would want to put so much detail into writing just like terming a family it could back fire on you for SOMETHING. You never know. I've never been let go from a job but I guess I would ask people in general that you know if they were ever let go and how it happened. Or even call one of my previous employers if I was comfortable with it and ask what they do when they let someone go.
Play Care 06:59 AM 01-21-2013
I think it depends on if this person is your actual employee. I think if she's your actual employee you need to tread carefully and find out the rules for terming an employee in your state. The last thing you want to do is to have to pay unemployment benefits for someone who couldn't even be bothered to show up for her shift.
candissos 03:32 PM 01-21-2013
She is my first employee and we had training days the beginning of the year. It was after her 1st week, when we sat down and talk about my expectations and her job description. She agreed and sign and agreement form stating so. I don't have an employee handbook or contract at this time. Thanks you all for all the helpful advice, I will be looking into employee insurance and making a handbook. Oh and I live in TN.
Tags:assistant - termination, assistant termination letter, new assistant, terminate
Reply Up