Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terminated My First Family
sarahhardy2711 08:54 AM 05-07-2013
You ladies inspired me to not take any crap from DCF and to have a backbone, and that's just what I did today. I termed my first family, I feel terrible about it and wish I didn't have to. They were only enrolled for about a month. And every week it was a payment issue. Yesterday DCP picked up without paying or saying anything, DCB is SA so I only get paid at pu. I termed this morning saying that no payment or arrgmnt was made so I'm ending care. She said she "forgot" and she really needs me, she even said she will start paying monthly. Every week I've had to have a talk w/her about money and it's really uncomfortable. I stood my ground and said no. Would you have termed them?
Play Care 09:06 AM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by sarahhardy2711:
You ladies inspired me to not take any crap from DCF and to have a backbone, and that's just what I did today. I termed my first family, I feel terrible about it and wish I didn't have to. They were only enrolled for about a month. And every week it was a payment issue. Yesterday DCP picked up without paying or saying anything, DCB is SA so I only get paid at pu. I termed this morning saying that no payment or arrgmnt was made so I'm ending care. She said she "forgot" and she really needs me, she even said she will start paying monthly. Every week I've had to have a talk w/her about money and it's really uncomfortable. I stood my ground and said no. Would you have termed them?
YES! There are three things I will not let slide - payment, on time pick ups and out of control behaviors (by the child *or* parents)
You do not "forget" to pay the person who cares for your child. Next...
KnoxMom 09:07 AM 05-07-2013
I would have had the parent sign a new contract to reflect the payment agreement of monthly payments unless enrollment/finances were not an issue for me and I had a decent wait list. However, you have to do what is best for you so I support the decision you made and congrats on finding your backbone!
countrymom 09:08 AM 05-07-2013
I wonder if their boss ever forgets to pay them
RosieMommy 09:14 AM 05-07-2013
She forgot to pay you??? I find that hard to believe. Paying for childcare is like paying rent-- you don't forget. Now you might not say anything if you don't have the money but you don't forget.
MarinaVanessa 09:32 AM 05-07-2013
If it's what you feel was best for you then it was the right thing to do. Only you know whether or not you want to continue to work with that family or not, sometimes people get so frustrated that you just don't want to keep working with them.

I personally have a sit down talk with a client that I have an issue with before issuing a termination. If something is bothering me I bring it up clear as day. Sometimes even though they know that they should or shouldn't do something they don't realize how serious it is, especially if I don't communicate it to them. If it's something as serious as payments I have an idea of what I want to say to them and what I expect from them. If they have to think about it or seem hesitant to agree to correct the issue then I'll already have a termination notice prepared but I always talk to them first.
crazydaycarelady 10:05 AM 05-07-2013
I probably would have tried the once a month thing first. Then when pay day rolls around I would give them a bill a few days before and include howe much the late fees are. But we are all different and you did what you felt was right for you.
mbullette 01:02 PM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I wonder if their boss ever forgets to pay them
I had an issue with one of my families and asked her this same question. She looked me like I was crazy but how would she feel if she didnt get paid? Never had a problem since.
Tags:non-payment, terminate
Reply Up