Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do?
Atroya 11:05 AM 01-01-2014
I have never had to terminate a family yet. I have a family that I will need to terminate by March when a new dcb arrives. I am terming them for several reasons. The main reason being that the preschool he goes to requires the children to be walked into the building/classroom by the parent/caregiver. It is a serious PIA to do this when I have to drag the other little ones in also. With a newborn coming in March, it will be too much to try to take the other little ones in, and I obviously can't leave the others in the car. I am also acquiring a new 1 yr old dcg at the end of January..part time.

I am debating on just terming the preschooler at the end of January, or my other option is to inform them that as of the end of January, I can no longer provide transportation to and from preschool, they will have to find another way to transport him, and at the same time inform them that they will also need to find other daycare in March when the baby comes(I will not have room in my van for all of them.) The 1 yr old that is coming in January is the daughter of a family member, so she has priority over the preschooler, I know that is not really fair to the preschooler family that has been here since August, but I feel family comes first. The preschooler's family also consistently pays late, and when they give me a schedule each week, they tend to not follow it, showing up several hours earlier than what they say, or calling on a day he is not supposed to be here, and saying they need to drop him off. This is also a child that only likes to eat about 3 things...he turns his nose up to everything else. His parents just go with it, never make him eat anything he doesn't want to. He is not fitting in very well with the other kids, does not know how to play on his own, etc, etc.

So, what would you do? I am not sure how to do this...write a letter or inform them of both things verbally? I am hoping that since they have to find transport to and from preschool anyway...they will just find new daycare before March. Do I only tell them about the transportation, hope they go somewhere else, and do the termination part only if I have to when it gets closer to March? Since I have never had to term anyone, I feel bad about waiting until March to just give a 2 week notice, since I know I am doing it so far ahead of time.

Although I feel a little bad...I also don't feel bad because of the late payments, etc. This is also the family that dropped off the preschooler with an armload of stuff that needed to be taken into the preschool one day, without thinking that I also needed to carry a little one in too, and when I told her it would be difficult, she said good luck and walked away. 15 minutes later, coming back home after drop off at school, I pass her leaving for work!!!! She stops her car as she is passing me, laughs, and asks how it went! She could have dropped him off herself. If it had been me, and I realized what a mess I was dropping in my daycare provider's lap, I would have taken the child to school myself.
craftymissbeth 11:19 AM 01-01-2014
I would do the transportation letter now and hope they find someone who can accommodate that need. Then if they're still with you closer to March you can give them their term letter.

Based on what you have said here about the preschooler's family I would certainly empathize with them, but you don't need to feel bad for them at all. They're the ones who have put themselves at the top of the term pile

Good luck!
Atroya 04:27 PM 01-01-2014
Thank you for replying.
renodeb 04:35 PM 01-01-2014
I would give them as much notice as possible, and also the transportation letter. It sounds like transportation is not going to be realistic after you gain another kid.
gracepatiencelove 07:00 PM 01-01-2014
The armload of stuff and then her leaving after you get back would have infuriated me.

I'd tell them RIGHT AWAY you can't do the transportation anymore.
cheerfuldom 08:09 PM 01-01-2014
Don't drag it out. Term immediately.
Atroya 07:45 AM 01-07-2014
I have considered terming them instead of trying the not doing transport thing first. I could also tell them that I will no longer provide transportation as of now, and that they will need to find other daycare by March when the baby arrives. That way they have more than 2 weeks to find somewhere else.

They gave me a $50 Visa gift card for Christmas, I don't feel right about keeping it if I turn around and term them right afterward...but a friend suggested I deserve it and to keep it. Should I give it back with the term letter?

Also, never done a term letter....how detailed should it be? Should I just keep it to transportation difficulties because of the school drop off policy, or should I voice the late payments/etc problems also?
cheerfuldom 07:54 AM 01-07-2014
keep the visa card. that was a gift/bonus for work done the year before.

a term notice should be really short and is not a chance to air your grievances. just a "I can no longer accommodate your childcare needs". If they push for reasons why, I would be prepared with a very short response regarding the school transport only because that is not something you or them can change. dont over explain and dont even bother with discussion on the late payments unless you have a specific notice home or conversation where you told them you would be terming if they continued that behavior. i just dont want you to get into an ugly confrontation. keep it short, vague and dont be baited into an argument. just a simple "I know this is not what you wanted to hear but its not negotiable" stay calm and firm. If they want to leave immediately, I would let them and not require any further payment since you termed them. I would also refund for any care they will not be using.....so time your notice with this possibility in mind. they may grab their kid and storm out so be prepared with all his things, etc. ready to do in case this term is immediate on their part.
Atroya 07:58 AM 01-07-2014
Good point!
Atroya 11:58 AM 01-25-2014
So I gave them notice that I would no longer be providing transportation. They ended up going somewhere else. I did not realize how much stress I was under with this family. I felt so relieved when they came on the Friday before the date I gave them for no longer doing transport, and they said he would not be back. It was all I could do not to jump up and down right in front of them cheering about it. LOL. It was hard to do because I know how frustrated I would be if my daycare would have done this to me, but with everything they did and the issues the child had, it was probably one of the best decisions I have made in awhile.
KidGrind 12:07 PM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by Atroya:
So I gave them notice that I would no longer be providing transportation. They ended up going somewhere else. I did not realize how much stress I was under with this family. I felt so relieved when they came on the Friday before the date I gave them for no longer doing transport, and they said he would not be back. It was all I could do not to jump up and down right in front of them cheering about it. LOL. It was hard to do because I know how frustrated I would be if my daycare would have done this to me, but with everything they did and the issues the child had, it was probably one of the best decisions I have made in awhile.
Good for you!
_Dana_ 12:08 PM 01-25-2014
Originally Posted by Atroya:
So glad that it worked out. Yay for less stress!!!
TwinKristi 12:34 PM 01-25-2014
Nice! Glad that worked out best for everyone!
Josiegirl 04:00 PM 01-25-2014
Good for you! And yes, I know that feeling of relief.
Tags:notice - 30 day, terminate
Reply Up