Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Help Me Make A Decision Here...
unregistered 09:31 AM 01-15-2014
Registered member, logged out.
I have a big decision to make regarding possibly taking on a new daycare family, but I know it will cause hurt feelings to an existing family, and possibly a bad ending to a pretty good relationship. So, I really need advice from you guys, so I can see all sides of the issue...

#1. Sibling of dcg (age 3) already enrolled. asks me for a discount for the new baby because they "cannot possibly afford 2 kids at my rate". Whenever I would make mention of will the new baby be coming here, dcm would say vague things, like, "who knows that far in advance,,, you never know" etc. Dcd is great. Dcm, however, is a bit of a pain-challenges my days off, is hard to read, expects me to bend over backwards, etc. I have had to get real tough with her about policies, but she makes me feel like I am working for her, and she's doing me a favor. Dcg has been with me since I opened, and recently has been whiny, and difficult. I have almost termed a thousand times, but I can't ever find the right family.

I finally point blank ask dcm what plans are, and she acts shocked that I didn't know the baby will be coming here. Then, she says dcg will be coming pt over her maternity leave(cutting my pay drastically), and then is going to pt preschool in fall, with me the other days. Then, she says the reason she's been vague is because they plan on moving-they have no idea when, but now it's out there that they will move at some point.

#2. Also a new baby for the summer- great family, referral from another dcg. Looking for pt, and rotating days (I can charge my full time rate for this scenario). They technically would be starting care, as dcg above would be going to pt for dcm's maternity leave.

I like the second scenario best of all, as I can get the full time rate for 3 days, instead of all 5- which gives me more time for appointments, classes, etc. I can potentially take both 1 and 2, but I would have to have my parents watch my own ds a few days of the week. I don't really want to do that, though. Wwyd?
craftymissbeth 09:38 AM 01-15-2014
If it were me, I would term the first family and take on the second. The way you explained it, the first dcm pretty much told you how it's going to be after she's been wishy washy all this time... right? Plus they're planning on moving and instead of telling you up front that they don't know if they'll be in the area she just brushed you off. The income from their family is going to end so... if you prefer the second family... do it!
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by unregistered:
Registered member, logged out.
I have a big decision to make regarding possibly taking on a new daycare family, but I know it will cause hurt feelings to an existing family, and possibly a bad ending to a pretty good relationship. So, I really need advice from you guys, so I can see all sides of the issue...

#1. Sibling of dcg (age 3) already enrolled. asks me for a discount for the new baby because they "cannot possibly afford 2 kids at my rate". Whenever I would make mention of will the new baby be coming here, dcm would say vague things, like, "who knows that far in advance,,, you never know" etc. Dcd is great. Dcm, however, is a bit of a pain-challenges my days off, is hard to read, expects me to bend over backwards, etc. I have had to get real tough with her about policies, but she makes me feel like I am working for her, and she's doing me a favor. Dcg has been with me since I opened, and recently has been whiny, and difficult. I have almost termed a thousand times, but I can't ever find the right family.

I finally point blank ask dcm what plans are, and she acts shocked that I didn't know the baby will be coming here. Then, she says dcg will be coming pt over her maternity leave(cutting my pay drastically), and then is going to pt preschool in fall, with me the other days. Then, she says the reason she's been vague is because they plan on moving-they have no idea when, but now it's out there that they will move at some point.

#2. Also a new baby for the summer- great family, referral from another dcg. Looking for pt, and rotating days (I can charge my full time rate for this scenario). They technically would be starting care, as dcg above would be going to pt for dcm's maternity leave.

I like the second scenario best of all, as I can get the full time rate for 3 days, instead of all 5- which gives me more time for appointments, classes, etc. I can potentially take both 1 and 2, but I would have to have my parents watch my own ds a few days of the week. I don't really want to do that, though. Wwyd?
Remove ALL personal feelings/thoughts about this scenario and do what is best for your business. Which in turn is best for your family.

I'd go with the family that is most consistent and attends the most.

I would NOT cut DCM (in #1) a break on rates for her maternity leave nor when DCG attends preschool. Charge MORE for PT care.

I would take the family that pays the most and give the least amount if issue.

I would have termed #1 mom the second she started acting as if I worked for her. I've been doing this way too long to deal with that. I wish someone would have advised me about not dealing with clients that had that attitude because they rarely change and everything is an uphill battle.

Bottom line is you work for you (and your family). You offer services for a fee and within the guidelines YOU set forth.

It's up to the DCF's to decide if those policies work for them. If not, they need to move along. If they do, then they need to follow them and not challenge them.

From just your words alone, I think you need to ditch family #1.
melilley 09:40 AM 01-15-2014
Def #2!
#1 sounds like a PITA! She obviously doesn't care that this is your livelihood-she's the one who had another baby, it's not your fault she can't afford you-do somewhere else! It also sounds like she would leave at any minute without a care!

And you did say you almost termed a thousand times....
daycarediva 09:45 AM 01-15-2014
I would start family #2. I have a stinking suspicion that they are going to ask for rate discounts for older dcg due to preschool, or pull and find cheaper care for both. It is also FAR easier to fill one spot than it is to fill two. Plus, pain in the rear dcm and I would NOT see eye to eye.
Unregistered 10:52 AM 01-15-2014
Thank you so much for the advice! After reading your posts, I agree with what everyone is saying. If I do what Blackcat is suggesting, and charge more for the pt 3 year old (they likely are expecting another discount, as daycare said) , they just might term themselves! Dcm has been nothing but a problem - I could go on and on. The best example was when I told her I had to have her drop off late because ds had a physical, and she said "no" ...or the time she talked me out of taking 2 weeks maternity leave....
craftymissbeth 10:53 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you so much for the advice! After reading your posts, I agree with what everyone is saying. If I do what Blackcat is suggesting, and charge more for the pt 3 year old (they likely are expecting another discount, as daycare said) , they just might term themselves! Dcm has been nothing but a problem - I could go on and on. The best example was when I told her I had to have her drop off late because ds had a physical, and she said "no" ...or the time she talked me out of taking 2 weeks maternity leave....

Pull off the Band-Aid and be done with her!
daycarediva 11:26 AM 01-15-2014
Oh HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECK NO. Adios, crazy, cheap dcm!

"ds has a physical and I won't be open until 11."

"no."

"Good then don't show up at 11, or any other time. YOU'RE FIRED."
Josiegirl 04:20 PM 01-15-2014
Oh yeh, definitely a no-brainer!! You don't need all that bs from dcm #1. But you also need to stand firm too. When I had babies, I took 6 weeks off and yes, I lost families but nothing was more important than bonding with my own baby. I don't mean to offend but if a dcm was trying to change my rules and the needs of my own family, out the door they'd be. Less stress for you and more self-respect for you!
TaylorTots 07:07 AM 01-16-2014
I once had a family like #1. After thinking overnight I said to dcm the next day:

"I'm really confused. I have set rates for childcare, which you are well informed of. You are having another child by choice and expect me to drop my rates that supply my income because you didn't plan financially for the care of BOTH your children? Also, I charge much more for part time than full time due to the space that PT spot is filling up. You may be choosing to use my services, but I am choosing to give you my services. I understand if we are not on the same page regarding these services and will completely agree that you need to find a provider who is more compatible with you."

DCM went through a number of reactions including ashamed and livid. I just said "Good luck in finding a new provider that can meet your needs. Here is the number for CCR&R."
Tags:terminate
Reply Up