Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3y old High Pitch Screamer - Angry Screamer
WImom 07:37 AM 01-22-2014
What would you do regarding a 3y old that screamed really loud when she doesn't get her way or like your answer. Anytime she takes a toy from another child I tell her to give it back and to ask for a turn she will throw the toy and scream super high pitched.

I have been telling her if she screams she can leave the room (She has to sit on the step outside my room and I close the door - it's a glass door) and I can see and hear her. I tell her screaming hurts our ears so she will need to leave the room. I also talk to her when she is calm about when she is angry she can not scream. Sometimes when I can tell she is going to scream I will tell her if she screams she will be on the step and she will stop most times. Sometimes I don't know it's coming. If she doesn't scream in normal situations that she normally would I do praise her.

She does this at other times too but basically when she doesn't get what she wants. It's like she can't control her anger and just instantly switches to this scream. A minutes later she is fine laughing and playing.

What would you do in the situation? I'm tired of the screaming 3-4 times a day.
melilley 08:12 AM 01-22-2014
I have one, almost 2.5 who does the same, well he scream/cries and then hits or kicks my walls whenever he doesn't like what I say or takes a toy! I make him sit in the hallway away from us when he does that. That's when he kicks or hits my walls so then I move him to a spot on the floor without any walls. I also talk to him after. I don't know what else to do either. I'll be following this thread! Hopefully someone will have advice!
Cat Herder 09:18 AM 01-22-2014
If it were age appropriate I'd treat it like any other tantrum. ( plan a: "actively ignore" as taught in training class)

The difference with a 3yo girl is that it barely meets my "age appropriate" requirement before it is treated as misbehavior. (plan B: off to independent play until behavior stops to not disrupt the group AKA "Redirection" as taught in training classes)

It depends on the maturity level of the kid, I guess. Those two options are the only legally allowed discipline plans here (other than termination).

Admittedly, 3 year old (princess, whiny, tattle tale) girls are my least favorite of all genres (for lack of a better term).

***Before any unregistered flames, I openly admit to clients I have a favorite genre: 2 year old hyper boys and difficult infants. It makes them laugh. I have a strong sense of humor about my job. I love my job.
KidGrind 10:20 AM 01-22-2014
Cat Herder,

What are flames?
Lucy 10:24 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
Cat Herder,

What are flames?
Criticizing what someone says online.
Cat Herder 10:25 AM 01-22-2014
Cat Herder,

What are flames?
When an unregistered comes in and says that you (me) are a horrible person and should not be allowed to work with children for being human and having faults.
Attached: flame.jpg (11.4 KB) 
littleblossoms 10:28 AM 01-22-2014
I also have a three year girl doing the same screaming at the top of her lungs. It is mostly when she can't get her way, pulling toys, eating
KidGrind 10:35 AM 01-22-2014
Thank you Lucy and Cat Herder,

Well if they are going to criticize they should at least do it registered. I may not agree or like everyone’s methods here. At the end of the day, if their methods work for them & the kids in their care… MORE POWER to them.

I learn the most from people that do things differently than I do. I may not implement their methods or policies. However, my experience in the world of childcare & children grows with each person who shares on this site good, bad or indifferent.

On the record, I have a preference for quiet boys & princess girls.
Cat Herder 10:58 AM 01-22-2014
On the record, I have a preference for quiet boys & princess girls.
Oh, I wish you lived closer to me

I bribe them with glitter, lot's of dress up clothes, ribbons, music and hold my breath for 6 months until they hit the creative scrapbooking phase....
cheerfuldom 11:16 AM 01-22-2014
I would do exactly what you are doing and if you can't handle that, let the family go. There is only so much you can do. You cannot control her screaming, just make it really not fun for her to do it at your house. You might amp the consequence up a notch and have her sit facing the wall. The way I do it, they can come out whenever they stop the behavior so its not really a time out. The less interaction and attention for misbehavior, the better.

My preference for kids is independent babies and toddlers. The ones that don't want to be babied and would rather just climb all over everything and get dirty. I also have no problem with active preschool girls. I can't stand whining from either gender or the stand still/wait to be entertained kids. I would rather they be rascals and get into trouble than just stand there and do nothing and stare at me. Lest favorite, school age boys.
Tags:active ignore, discipline policy, screamer, tantrums
Reply Up