Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Communicating/Discussing with Parents
LadyPearl 07:06 AM 02-09-2014
I was wondering if anyone has policies on when and how parents communicate with you??? I have had a DCM show up 2 hours after DCG left to have a conversation with me. I was in my "Jammies," cooking supper, and my husband had just come home. (I ended up burning the gravy because of her!) I had to send my son into the living room with his supper. She has also called me at 7:30 on a Friday night after I stated we would talk Monday morning. She's out of the picture now but was annoying about it all! Do any of you address this sort of thing in your contract or handbook? It almost feels like an invasion at times.
mountainside13 08:03 AM 02-09-2014
Originally Posted by LadyPearl:
I was wondering if anyone has policies on when and how parents communicate with you??? I have had a DCM show up 2 hours after DCG left to have a conversation with me. I was in my "Jammies," cooking supper, and my husband had just come home. (I ended up burning the gravy because of her!) I had to send my son into the living room with his supper. She has also called me at 7:30 on a Friday night after I stated we would talk Monday morning. She's out of the picture now but was annoying about it all! Do any of you address this sort of thing in your contract or handbook? It almost feels like an invasion at times.
I have had problems with parents calling or texting me after hours. It can be really annoying! I learned from this forum just to stop answering or responding until the next business day. I haven't had anyone just stop by to talk after hours without notifying me. That would really upset me too! I have a dad stop by every other Sunday to drop off payment (not here on Mondays), he texts me before he does thou. I don't have it in my contract but I would put something in yours so it doesn't happen again.
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 02-09-2014
I have a short blurb in my intro letter that says

Parents needing to discuss things relevant to their child and child care services must call and make an appt. so that we may talk uninterrupted and without distractions.

NO discussions (in person or via telephone) will be accepted without an appointment as I have a personal life outside of child care.

I ask that all parents respect this personal time.

LadyPearl...in your case, I would have stopped the DCM immediately and told her she was interrupting your PRIVATE time AFTER business hours and that she would need to contact you and set up a time to discuss this issue. NO WAY would I have let her in my door and probably would have made some sort of comment about how interrupting your family time was really rude.

If you want to let parents know that you don't want to be disturbed during your family time, I would write up a short memo/note addressing the topic before it becomes an issue with anyone else.

I know we shouldn't have to do that as we assume most people understand personal or private time, but sadly it seems most families now days don't "get it".

If you need assistance in writing up a short note, just shoot me a PM and I'll gladly help.
Josiegirl 08:49 AM 02-09-2014
That took some chutzpah on the part of that dcm! I'm glad you don't have her in your dc anymore.
I've always told dcfs they can call me anytime. IF I am able to answer and talk, then I will or I'll call them back when I can. But I don't have much of a life anyways. However, if I had a dcp do what yours did, that would burn me up.
Cradle2crayons 04:51 PM 02-09-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a short blurb in my intro letter that says

Parents needing to discuss things relevant to their child and child care services must call and make an appt. so that we may talk uninterrupted and without distractions.

NO discussions (in person or via telephone) will be accepted without an appointment as I have a personal life outside of child care.

I ask that all parents respect this personal time.

LadyPearl...in your case, I would have stopped the DCM immediately and told her she was interrupting your PRIVATE time AFTER business hours and that she would need to contact you and set up a time to discuss this issue. NO WAY would I have let her in my door and probably would have made some sort of comment about how interrupting your family time was really rude.

If you want to let parents know that you don't want to be disturbed during your family time, I would write up a short memo/note addressing the topic before it becomes an issue with anyone else.

I know we shouldn't have to do that as we assume most people understand personal or private time, but sadly it seems most families now days don't "get it".

If you need assistance in writing up a short note, just shoot me a PM and I'll gladly help.
same here. I got this idea from this forum. I've only had ONE parent try this. I explain it's just like our schools locally. Parents can't just walk up into a classroom to speak to the teacher. They have to make an appointment for a conference. For the same reasons.
blandino 04:56 PM 02-09-2014
Once we had a DCM call on a Sunday evening to discuss her daughter's potty training. Good grief !
MotherNature 05:01 AM 02-10-2014
I have it in my handbook that I am a wife &mother as well, and will not answer calls or texts after 8 pm. I close at 7, though my current families are gone at 6. I have gotten texts at 9, and generally it's just to make sure I have enough breastmilk or that they won't be here the next day. That's fine; I don't mind texting back a quick ok, or yes, etc.. but I'm not having long convos after hours.
Lil'DinoEggs 05:06 AM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
I have it in my handbook that I am a wife &mother as well, and will not answer calls or texts after 8 pm. I close at 7, though my current families are gone at 6. I have gotten texts at 9, and generally it's just to make sure I have enough breastmilk or that they won't be here the next day. That's fine; I don't mind texting back a quick ok, or yes, etc.. but I'm not having long convos after hours.
Mine is pretty much the same.
Tags:calling after hours, communicating with parents, communication - with parents, stopping by after hours
Reply Up