Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Yet another "Daily Schedule" Thread...
Cat Herder 08:52 AM 08-07-2014
I received a new Carson Delosa Pocket Chart. It has 14 strips for a daily schedule. Posting this in the playroom is now a requirement and I have to make all our activities fit into 14 lines....

Please, awesome preschool teachers, help me create a schedule that includes: Hours from 7a - 6p, QRIS Guidelines

breakfast/cleanup (30 min)
2 snacks (15 min ea)
lunch/cleanup (30 min)
2 circle times for math and science (30 minutes ea)
table time for pre-writing and art (30 min)
outside (1hr)
naptime from 1-3.
free play (30 min)
centers (30 min)
Music (30 min)
Books/Storytime (30 min)

** It is not as easy as it seems. I think potty/diaper and transition times are a "given"? IDK.... I know we don't have to follow it everyday to the letter, but it does need to be possible on the "perfect" day.

Suggestions?? Age groups 1-3, btw.
AmyKidsCo 08:57 AM 08-07-2014
Sorry, can't help with the schedule, but I wanted to say I love your username! I feel like a cat herder most days...
Cat Herder 09:00 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Sorry, can't help with the schedule, but I wanted to say I love your username! I feel like a cat herder most days...
Thank you It was the one that best summed up my job title to me...
Unregistered 09:05 AM 08-07-2014
14 lines? That's a strange requirement?Here's my schedule,I'm not sure if it's 14 lines but I'l give it a try.
7:00a.m.-8:00a.m.-Morning arrival/Free play
8:00a.m.-8:30a.m.-Breakfast
8:30a.m.-8:45a.m.- Clean up/Potty break/Diaper change
8:45a.m.-9:45a.m.- Curriculum
9:45a.m.-10:00a.m.- Clean up/Potty break/Diaper change
10:00a.m.-11:00a.m.-Outside play
11:00a.m.-11:30a.m.- Wash hands/Quiet Play/Prepare lunch
11:30a.m.-12:00p.m.-Lunch
12:00p.m.-12:30p.m.- Clean up/Potty break/Diaper change
12:30p.m.-1:00p.m.- Story time
1:00p.m.-3:00p.m.- Nap
3:00p.m.-3:30p.m.- Up from nap/Potty break/Diaper change
3:30p.m.-3:45p.m.- Snack
3:45p.m.-5:30p.m.- Departure/Free play.
Is this what you were looking for?
Annalee 09:07 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I received a new Carson Delosa Pocket Chart. It has 14 strips for a daily schedule. Posting this in the playroom is now a requirement and I have to make all our activities fit into 14 lines....

Please, awesome preschool teachers, help me create a schedule that includes: Hours from 7a - 6p

2 snacks (15 min ea)
lunch/cleanup (30 min)
outside (1hr)
naptime from 1-3.
free play (30 min)
centers (30 min)
Music (30 min)
Books/Storytime (30 min)

** It is not as easy as it seems. I think potty/diaper and transition times are a "given"? IDK.... I know we don't have to follow it everyday to the letter, but it does need to be possible on the "perfect" day.

I have a pocket chart with pics and labels on it...

Arrival Time
Breakfast
Circle Time
Free Choice
Wash Hands for Lunch
Lunch
Story Time
Nap
Brushing Teeth
Snack
Free Choice
Clean up Time
Going Home

I have a more detailed schedule on my parent board but this is a visual for the kids...I DO NOT put times because if QRIS is in here they hold me to the EXACT time so I just list what comes next...QRIS gives us time limits on FREE PLAY in particular....The only thing I put a time on is outside play 1 hr per day because this is the ONLY way to meet the FREE PLAY expectations inside....There is NO WAY to meet FCCERS-R materials outside, in my opinion, so I keep that "meet" inside and just go outside 1 hr per day....I think I have now confused myself while typing this..
Cat Herder 09:11 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
14 lines? That's a strange requirement?Here's my schedule,I'm not sure if it's 14 lines but I'l give it a try.
7:00a.m.-8:00a.m.-Morning arrival/Free play
8:00a.m.-8:30a.m.-Breakfast
8:30a.m.-8:45a.m.- Clean up/Potty break/Diaper change
8:45a.m.-9:45a.m.- Curriculum
9:45a.m.-10:00a.m.- Clean up/Potty break/Diaper change
10:00a.m.-11:00a.m.-Outside play
11:00a.m.-11:30a.m.- Wash hands/Quiet Play/Prepare lunch
11:30a.m.-12:00p.m.-Lunch
12:00p.m.-12:30p.m.- Clean up/Potty break/Diaper change
12:30p.m.-1:00p.m.- Story time
1:00p.m.-3:00p.m.- Nap
3:00p.m.-3:30p.m.- Up from nap/Potty break/Diaper change
3:30p.m.-3:45p.m.- Snack
3:45p.m.-5:30p.m.- Departure/Free play.
Is this what you were looking for?
The 14 lines is not the requirement, having the schedule posted is required. My new "schedule" pocket chart for posting only has 14 lines.

Your schedule is 14 lines

I just have to figure out how to make it more specific to science/math/writing, etc... Yours has me off to a great start, though. Thanks!
AmyKidsCo 09:14 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
...if QRIS is in here they hold me to the EXACT time so I just list what comes next...QRIS gives us time limits on FREE PLAY in particular....

That is one of the saddest things I've ever heard! "Quality" improvement = limited free play? That is just wrong.
Cat Herder 09:15 AM 08-07-2014

I have a more detailed schedule on my parent board but this is a visual for the kids...I DO NOT put times because if QRIS is in here they hold me to the EXACT time so I just list what comes next...QRIS gives us time limits on FREE PLAY in particular....The only thing I put a time on is outside play 1 hr per day because this is the ONLY way to meet the FREE PLAY expectations inside....There is NO WAY to meet FCCERS-R materials outside, in my opinion, so I keep that "meet" inside and just go outside 1 hr per day....I think I have now confused myself while typing this..
QRIS is what I am doing... (where is that head exploding icon?)

The detailed one is what I am having to do and it is SOOOO confusing. You get me... you really get me. (insert hair pulling/screaming emoticon)
Cat Herder 09:16 AM 08-07-2014
That is one of the saddest things I've ever heard! "Quality" improvement = limited free play? That is just wrong.
Thank you!!!!!

I don't get this stuff at all.....
Annalee 09:34 AM 08-07-2014
QRIS is what I am doing... (where is that head exploding icon?)

The detailed one is what I am having to do and it is SOOOO confusing. You get me... you really get me. (insert hair pulling/screaming emoticon)
I hear ya!!!! A full day requires 3 hrs and 45 minutes of Free Play....when you throw in meals, nap, etc....that is hard to get in .......Then you have to meet the materials that will be accessible during this 3 hrs and 45 minutes....???????? Yes, I need the head explode icon as well.
Annalee 09:37 AM 08-07-2014
Actually, QRIS here wants most of the time to be FREE PLAY without dictation of what the kids do....they literally give numbers for math/science/diversity/literacy materials that are accessible during this play time....you can read a story but ABSOLUTELY NO FORCED PARTICIPATION!
Annalee 09:39 AM 08-07-2014
Thank you!!!!!

I don't get this stuff at all.....
There are crafty ways to get around all of this and make it work and I do that most days, but some days I think "why bother?"
Cat Herder 09:45 AM 08-07-2014
Actually, QRIS here wants most of the time to be FREE PLAY without dictation of what the kids do....they literally give numbers for math/science/diversity/literacy materials that are accessible during this play time....you can read a story but ABSOLUTELY NO FORCED PARTICIPATION!
Mine said 2 planned periods to meet specific curriculum goals and that free play times were not "free".

Free play is to be "self selected play" from 2-3 specific activities (at a time) set up by me like dress up, instruments/playsilks, lacing cards, felt sets, blocks, kitchen, on and on.

Because of my mixed age group, in one room (abt 800 sq ft), by myself, this requires setting up areas, breaking down areas and resetting them ALL.DAY.LONG.

Heck, maybe I am reading it wrong...
Annalee 09:51 AM 08-07-2014
Mine said 2 planned periods to meet specific curriculum goals and that free play times were not "free".

Free play is to be "self selected play" from 2-3 specific activities (at a time) set up by me like dress up, instruments/playsilks, lacing cards, felt sets, blocks, kitchen, on and on.

Because of my mixed age group, in one room, by myself, this requires setting up areas, breaking down areas and resetting them ALL.DAY.LONG.

Heck, maybe I am reading it wrong...
Each state's QRIS is different...TN has the most stringent I do believe due to it being in the LAW.....I think TN is the only state that has mandated QRIS..but each state chooses their own QRIS path...so you are probably right in your interpretation of the guidelines....
spinnymarie 10:45 AM 08-07-2014

Please, awesome preschool teachers, help me create a schedule that includes: Hours from 7a - 6p, QRIS Guidelines

free play (30 min)

Here's what I would do. I built in 15 minutes or so to some activities for transitioning/clean up, so that you could actually get 30 minutes of each item in. Plus you only have 7.5 hours of content there, so I added some things, not sure if that will work for you.

7:00 am - Center Time
7:45 am - Breakfast
8:15 am - Math Time
9:00 am - Art/Writing Time
9:45 am - Snack Time
10:00 am - Outside Time
11:00 am - Center Time
11:45 am - Lunch
12:30 pm - Books/Story Time
1:00 pm - Rest Time
3:00 pm - Science Time
3:30 pm - Snack Time
3:45 pm - Music Time
4:30 pm - Free Play
Cat Herder 10:58 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
Here's what I would do. I built in 15 minutes or so to some activities for transitioning/clean up, so that you could actually get 30 minutes of each item in. Plus you only have 7.5 hours of content there, so I added some things, not sure if that will work for you.

7:00 am - Center Time
7:45 am - Breakfast
8:15 am - Math Time
9:00 am - Art/Writing Time
9:45 am - Snack Time
10:00 am - Outside Time
11:00 am - Center Time
11:45 am - Lunch
12:30 pm - Books/Story Time
1:00 pm - Rest Time
3:00 pm - Science Time
3:30 pm - Snack Time
3:45 pm - Music Time
4:30 pm - Free Play
That is pretty close. Thank you!!

I can't serve breakfast until 8 (last arrival at 8:00) and I go until 6pm (though all are gone by 5:30 most days). I also see they want me to have them brush their teeth in the AM.

Wow. I guess 7:00 to 8:15 would need to be Breakfast/Brushing/Centers? That may be too much mess for me to handle so early (3 rooms trashed in my home at once)... Maybe Breakfast/Brushing/Music then move the Centers to 3:45???
MarinaVanessa 11:34 AM 08-07-2014
Do you have to put the times in? I have a pocket chart like yours and I simply have 4x6 cards which say what were doing in order and then a 4x3 card with an arrow. I put our activities in 2 rows and move the arrow along as we go through them. I also have a timer clock that shoes in red how much time we have left.

I'll see if I can post a picture during nap.
Cat Herder 11:50 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Do you have to put the times in? I have a pocket chart like yours and I simply have 4x6 cards which say what were doing in order and then a 4x3 card with an arrow. I put our activities in 2 rows and move the arrow along as we go through them. I also have a timer clock that shoes in red how much time we have left.

That sounds awesome (nap is almost over, here)

There is a blurb saying that transition activities and "care" (ironic much??) are not a required part of the routine that must follow timelines. Clear as mud.

** as an aside, remember when diaper changes were required hourly and those times were to be posted (because people were too focused on activities and were forgetting?)? Now it is merely a suggestion again OK, I digress.... back to being a "Professional".

Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork....
SignMeUp 12:45 PM 08-07-2014
That sounds awesome (nap is almost over, here)

There is a blurb saying that transition activities and "care" (ironic much??) are not a required part of the routine that must follow timelines. Clear as mud.

** as an aside, remember when diaper changes were required hourly and those times were to be posted (because people were too focused on activities and were forgetting?)? Now it is merely a suggestion again OK, I digress.... back to being a "Professional".

Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork....
Move the arrow. Document this. Lock the gate. (Don't look away from the children.) Unlock the door. Put up the butter knife. (Don't look away from the children.) Move the arrow. Document that. Wipe this. Spray that. Lock the door. (Don't look away from the children.) Move the arrow. Document this. Unlock the gate. Open this. Spray Wipe this. Document that. (Don't look away from the children.) Close that. (Don't look away from the children.) Lock this. Unlock that. Use this. Put away that. (Don't look away from the children.)

That is how my child care feels to me with the latest round of regulations.

AmyKidsCo 01:03 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Move the arrow. Document this. Lock the gate. (Don't look away from the children.) Unlock the door. Put up the butter knife. (Don't look away from the children.) Move the arrow. Document that. Wipe this. Spray that. Lock the door. (Don't look away from the children.) Move the arrow. Document this. Unlock the gate. Open this. Spray Wipe this. Document that. (Don't look away from the children.) Close that. (Don't look away from the children.) Lock this. Unlock that. Use this. Put away that. (Don't look away from the children.)

And you can only pee if you can do it without looking away from the children.

God forbid QRS ever becomes mandatory in WI!!
Cat Herder 01:07 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:

Don't forget to take lot's of photos, text and email every thought/idea/cute anecdote immediately, involve the parents in all planning, invite them to lunch, meet special requests, never send the kids home sick, screen for health/emotional/physical milestones, set up screening/document they are followed through on, rake the mulch 2x a day, respond to the QRIS peoples emails immediately, finish your portfolio, do your training hours, plan/document curriculum, cook 2 hot meals daily, re-decorate weekly, give meds, do laundry daily, mop 3 times a day, keep your taxes/billing/hours up to date, brush their teeth... Don't look away from the children!
tehck_1013 01:17 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

I hope you do, I would love to see. I don't have anything like that, in fact, I'm not even sure where I would get one. I don't live by awesome stores so I'd probably have to order online.
SignMeUp 01:18 PM 08-07-2014
Don't forget to take lot's of photos, text and email every thought/idea/cute anecdote immediately, involve the parents in all planning, invite them to lunch, meet special requests, never send the kids home sick, screen for health/emotional/physical milestones, set up screening/document they are followed through on, rake the mulch 2x a day, respond to the QRIS peoples emails immediately, finish your portfolio, do your training hours, plan/document curriculum, cook 2 hot meals daily, re-decorate weekly, give meds, do laundry daily, mop 3 times a day, keep your taxes/billing/hours up to date, brush their teeth... Don't look away from the children!
Tut, tut!! Did your mop touch the floor? Did it have any cleaning product on it that should not be touched by children? Did YOU LOOK AWAY FROM THE CHILDREN?
Oh gosh, I will stop. I did not intend to hi-jack the thread.
tehck_1013 01:25 PM 08-07-2014

I am SO sorry. I have no idea. You ladies are like superheroes, I'm sure. I thank my lucky stars it isn't mandatory in WA. You'd think childcare providers have enough on their plates! I hope the incentives are worth it though :/ I just couldn't do it.
Cat Herder 01:34 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by tehck_1013:
I am SO sorry. I have no idea. You ladies are like superheroes, I'm sure. I thank my lucky stars it isn't mandatory in WA. You'd think childcare providers have enough on their plates! I hope the incentives are worth it though :/ I just couldn't do it.
Wait.

There are incentives?? The incentive $ does not even cover the tuition...

It is simply "preferred". If you don't go through with this you are labled "unprofessional" and are rated a big 'ole zero on the State website. We are required to give parents the State handbook that tells them to look at the website before enrolling.

Parents have no idea what any of it REALLY means.
MarinaVanessa 02:12 PM 08-07-2014
Okay hopefully this works.

The first pic is the pic of my schedule/routine chart. Mine has 10 pockets, not 14, but you get the point. So I made these and I'll tell you how. I got the borders from TpT (Teachers Pay Teachers), the fonts from some font website and the clip art from the internet, all for free. I used Photoshop to create a 4x6 image size (the size of printed photos), but I'm pretty sure a regular Paint program would work, added the borders, text and image to each and then had them printed at Target like you would regular photos. The arrow is one 4x6 "cut in half" with two arrows printed on it. I printed extras of certain ones (like free play for example) that we might repeat in one day and then I laminated them (I took mine to Lakeshore Learning Store).

Once they were done I put the cards in the order that I plan on doing things. At first I had made similar cards with clocks that you could draw in the clock hands and write the time in with wet-erase markers but eventually stopped using those because it gave me more freedom to cut activities shorter or expand them longer and I didn't feel "crunched for time".

Originally my chart was hung lower but the babies would pull the cards out so I put it up higher (I know childhood education experts say to put them at children's eyes view but they apparently have never tried to explain to a one year old that eating the "free play" card is not appropriate.

So I know what time meal and snack times are and as I go from one activity to the next I can generally estimate how much time I want to spend on the next activity. I set my timer for that amount of time and the kids (who in my group have no real understanding of "time") can visually "see" how much time they have. The timer beeps and we get 5 minutes or so of clean up time and then we move on to the next activity etc. This clock has been really helpful with a problem that I was having with one child during transitions. Now he can see when what we are currently doing is coming to an end. HTH.

I think I still have the template (for Photoshop) and JPEG's of my cards.

PS: Sorry about th dark photos. It was nap time.
Attached: IMAG1425.jpg (29.6 KB) IMAG1426.jpg (52.9 KB) IMAG1427.jpg (40.0 KB) 
midaycare 02:48 PM 08-07-2014

2 snacks (15 min ea)
lunch/cleanup (30 min)
outside (1hr)
naptime from 1-3.
free play (30 min)
centers (30 min)
Music (30 min)
Books/Storytime (30 min)

This is funny because I am running into this exact same problem & I just received my 14 pocket daily schedule yesterday

I have decided to buy another one so I can do one for mornings and one for afternoons.
Cat Herder 03:00 PM 08-07-2014
Thank you Marina Vanessa!!!! I saw the (empty) pocket chart that you are using, but I could not wrap my head around how it was used.

I will set it up that way this weekend and use the 14 slot one for something else like months of the year/seasons.

Thank you, again.

Sorry it took so long to respond, I was getting kids out the door and cleaning up for tomorrow.

I am getting a bit excited to see this through, now...
MarinaVanessa 05:11 PM 08-07-2014
Let me know if you want me to look for my files. If I still have them I can send them to you.
Tags:qris, schedule - preschool
Reply Up