Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terming Notice Via Phone, Help Me Out?
TaylorTots 01:05 PM 01-12-2015
I plan on calling a parent this week, possibly tonight. In a few weeks I am no longer going to be offering care for their two children (age 3.5). They have been enrolled for about a year. They are part timers and I am discontinuing part time care. They were very generous at Christmas and I feel as though I owe them more than a normal termination letter. This is what I am thinking:

"Hi DCM, This is so-and-so. I am calling because I have had some changes in my childcare that result in my decision to discontinue offering any kind of part time care, which is care under 5 days a week). I've enjoyed caring for your girls the past year but due to this decision their last date of care will be January 30th. I have a few different referrals I will give you guys tomorrow for providers who may be able to meet a part time schedule since I no longer will be able to. I wanted to call you since pickup with the girls can go quickly and I wanted to be sure to convey it was not a decision that I came to lightly nor a decision that can be changed."

Kicker - I don't want to offer her children 2 full time spots. I am filling one of them with a sibling of another full time child who has been enrolled much longer then this family. I also don't want to give a reason WHY they can't have full time spots if they ask for them -- which is unlikely but still a remote possibility. Is "I appreciate that you are willing to upgrade to full time but unfortunately I don't have the availability for two more full time children as of February."

I need opinions, thoughts, criticisms. Going beyond a term letter to a phone call in my experience has made the last weeks MUCH better (for me and the family)... I will still give them a written term notice with suggestions for providers to call. But what do you think re: phone call convo?
jenboo 01:24 PM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
I plan on calling a parent this week, possibly tonight. In a few weeks I am no longer going to be offering care for their two children (age 3.5). They have been enrolled for about a year. They are part timers and I am discontinuing part time care. They were very generous at Christmas and I feel as though I owe them more than a normal termination letter. This is what I am thinking:

"Hi DCM, This is so-and-so. I am calling because I have had some changes in my childcare that result in my decision to discontinue offering any kind of part time care, which is care under 5 days a week). I've enjoyed caring for your girls the past year but due to this decision their last date of care will be January 30th. I have a few different referrals I will give you guys tomorrow for providers who may be able to meet a part time schedule since I no longer will be able to. I wanted to call you since pickup with the girls can go quickly and I wanted to be sure to convey it was not a decision that I came to lightly nor a decision that can be changed."

Kicker - I don't want to offer her children 2 full time spots. I am filling one of them with a sibling of another full time child who has been enrolled much longer then this family. I also don't want to give a reason WHY they can't have full time spots if they ask for them -- which is unlikely but still a remote possibility. Is "I appreciate that you are willing to upgrade to full time but unfortunately I don't have the availability for two more full time children as of February."

I need opinions, thoughts, criticisms. Going beyond a term letter to a phone call in my experience has made the last weeks MUCH better (for me and the family)... I will still give them a written term notice with suggestions for providers to call. But what do you think re: phone call convo?
This all sounds great to me!
butterfly 01:59 PM 01-12-2015

TaylorTots 02:01 PM 01-12-2015
Great! And 3 providers I know and trust all are willing to take them/have the openings.
Shell 02:42 PM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
Great! And 3 providers I know and trust all are willing to take them/have the openings.
Perfect- couldn't ask for more from a term.
TaylorTots 05:20 PM 01-12-2015
Mom was super gracious and it worked perfectly - thank you guys for your reassurance!!
daycare 05:54 PM 01-12-2015
so glad that it worked out for you...I tend to over think everything. lol

hope things stay looking up!!
TaylorTots 06:35 PM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
so glad that it worked out for you...I tend to over think everything. lol

hope things stay looking up!!
I do too. I think it only takes one miserable term though and then we start over thinking every.single.word of the next one
Tags:terminate, terminate - via phone
Reply Up