Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well, I Did It! Finally Stuck Up For Myself and Gave Notice
Laura5287 11:55 AM 06-12-2015
I posted before that I was letting my daughter take over as of June 1, but since the daycare is in my home, it hasn't happened yet. She will be leaving for another job in September so it will probably be around then for my last day.
Anyway, still battling with parents of 5 year old. Today, he hurt the 3 year old by jumping on him and shaking him violently. I called dad to come get him. Mom called and acussed me of not watching them and taking sides yet again. Dad didn't want to talk to me when he came to get boy and I said we needed to talk about this now. He said he was too mad. And I told him I did not like that I was being accussed again of not watching and taking sides. He said he wasn't BUT since I didn't see it happen, (my daughter was in the room)I was making this more out than what it really was. At that point, I had had enough and told him I am done, and gave him his two week notice.
I was worried about the 3 year old because he said his eyes forehead and chin hurt. I called mom and I kept him from his nap. He seems fine, I think it really scared him though.
I am still really upset by all of this. This family tells me all the time how he acts at home, hitting screaming, throwing things, but they just can't understand how he would/could do this to anyone else. That it must be the 3 year old doing something first. (which is not the case) Besides, he is 2 years older. I am just done. They have blinders on, they had better take them off and really see what is going on.
UGH!!
Butter Biskets 12:17 PM 06-12-2015
Are the parents going to actually bring him for the last 2 weeks? I think I would have terminated immediately. My face heated up and my heart stopped just now when I read this. Wow.
Laura5287 12:26 PM 06-12-2015
No, He just came and picked up his things. I had to give them two weeks because of my contract. Covered all my bases. It is done and over with and I feel so much better.
It was a situation that kept getting worse and I kept trying to do things that would try and help the boy but when they tell him it is ok to push back and hit back it is not esp. the age difference or for any reason. I told them it is not acceptable here to promote violence and it was just getting worse.
Happy that it is done. So proud of myself for finally taking a stand.
Blackcat31 01:55 PM 06-12-2015
Originally Posted by Laura5287:
No, He just came and picked up his things. I had to give them two weeks because of my contract. Covered all my bases. It is done and over with and I feel so much better.
It was a situation that kept getting worse and I kept trying to do things that would try and help the boy but when they tell him it is ok to push back and hit back it is not esp. the age difference or for any reason. I told them it is not acceptable here to promote violence and it was just getting worse.
Happy that it is done. So proud of myself for finally taking a stand.
NO WAY..... If a child is a physical danger to other children there is not a law in ANY state that would require you to HAVE to give a two week notice.

His behavior is enough that you would have been completely legal AND justified in terminating immediately.

Blaming others for their child's behavior is simply uncalled for. If you are big enough to do it, be big enough to own it.

If you are licensed I would call your licensor immediately and let her know what happened because I guarantee you that this family isn't going to walk away quietly if they thing any one else (especially you) are the reason for their childs behavior.

They are in for a rude awakening late in life if they continue blaming others...

Glad they are done and gone from your care.
Laura5287 02:47 PM 06-12-2015
I am in Ohio so I don't have to be licensed if I have 6 kids or under.
It is just crazy how this family has acted over the years that I have had him in my care. I am not worried about anything with them because I have everything signed and everything that they have said written down.
I didn't know about the law thing though. He was done today.
I did find out that they said if he did things he would get in trouble but they never followed through with anything. He wasn't supossed to go to camp tonight because of what he did, but he did. surprise surprise. They just taught him that if he hurts someone it is okay and there won't be any consequenses. Shame on them. They will, like you said, find out soon enough
Unregistered 02:57 PM 06-12-2015
We have a child at our daycare that is like that butbthe parents blame it on her psychological problems and herniqvlevel. I have been hit in the face and have had to chase this child because they ran from me and the main teacher.
Thriftylady 02:58 PM 06-12-2015
I am also in Ohio and a Class B home. I have in my handbook that I can term immediately over certain things, and violent behavior is one of them. I also would have termed right then.
Unregistered 07:57 AM 06-13-2015
The shaking scares me. I'm certified and have taught many classes on shaken baby syndrome prevention for child care providers and other adults. Children up to age four have been shaken and harmed. That is harm inflicted by adults. I have no info about a 5 yr old and their ability to harm another child in this way.

It really concerned me the three yr old said his eyes and forehead hurt. It only takes one or two hard shakes for an adult to harm a child.

Does anyone have else have more info or advice? Shaking can cause more minor problems to very, very severe problems.
Tags:backbone, terminate
Reply Up