Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terming a Family
Rocksanne327 02:01 PM 07-12-2017
Hi all,

First time poster but a frequent troller

My in home daycare is very small, only 6 kids. I have had a few families graduate to kinder in the 3 years I have been doing care but have never termed anyone before. I am expecting a baby in September and have to let someone go so I am within my licensing regulations. I know what family I want to let go. The question is how? Should I write out a form or just verbal? What is the reasons I should give?

My reasons for letting this family go is the communication with dkm and dkd is nonexistent. They never tell me when dkb will be out or late that day. Or if they are gone the whole week! Also dkb is high strung and has a hard time following instructions or keeping his hands to himself. He's 3 1/2 and not potty trained. Parents won't work with him. I have talked to mom about these concerns but nothing ever changes.

Maybe I'm overthinking this and I should just be frank with mom? Or just tell her something like I'm downsizing?
Thank you for your input
NeedaVaca 02:23 PM 07-12-2017
Originally Posted by Rocksanne327:
Hi all,

First time poster but a frequent troller

My in home daycare is very small, only 6 kids. I have had a few families graduate to kinder in the 3 years I have been doing care but have never termed anyone before. I am expecting a baby in September and have to let someone go so I am within my licensing regulations. I know what family I want to let go. The question is how? Should I write out a form or just verbal? What is the reasons I should give?

My reasons for letting this family go is the communication with dkm and dkd is nonexistent. They never tell me when dkb will be out or late that day. Or if they are gone the whole week! Also dkb is high strung and has a hard time following instructions or keeping his hands to himself. He's 3 1/2 and not potty trained. Parents won't work with him. I have talked to mom about these concerns but nothing ever changes.

Maybe I'm overthinking this and I should just be frank with mom? Or just tell her something like I'm downsizing?
Thank you for your input
I would type something up to give her and would keep it simple: due to regulations I will be required to let you go so I can stay within my ratio when the baby is born. Last day of care is XX

If they keep asking why them then I would probably just put a nice spin on it. You have already told them the problems you are having and nothing came of it so in order to have them leave on good terms maybe something like I chose X because I think he would really benefit from a preschool environment
Ariana 04:28 PM 07-12-2017
Have you addressed these issues before with mom? It sounds like you have.

I would say
"Dear family,
It is with a heavy heart that I write to let you know that I will be terminating care for DCB. This is your two week notice of termination. Due to some of the issues we have discussed I feel I am no longer able to offer DCB the care he needs.
It was nice working with your family and I hope you are able to find alternate care that is a better fit for your son.
Finalize any payment issues here
Sincerely,
Rocksanne
KiwiKids 04:55 AM 07-13-2017
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I would type something up to give her and would keep it simple: due to regulations I will be required to let you go so I can stay within my ratio when the baby is born. Last day of care is XX

If they keep asking why them then I would probably just put a nice spin on it. You have already told them the problems you are having and nothing came of it so in order to have them leave on good terms maybe something like I chose X because I think he would really benefit from a preschool environment

I would do the same. I've downsized when expecting a baby. Parents were always gracious about it even if they were bummed.
Rocksanne327 07:45 AM 07-13-2017
Thanks for the advice I'm just overthinking this. I'm not going to list the specific reason why this family is the one I'm letting go. Mom already knows
Tags:terminate, termination letter
Reply Up