Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Thoughts
Ac114 05:59 PM 05-24-2018
So I’ve had kind of a stressful evening and my emotions are running a little high. I just want to know if I’m over reacting or not.

I get this text from daycare mom:

“So DCG 3 said her wee wee is growing while pointing at her privates. We asked her where she heard it and she said DCB 2.5. I know you cant control what other kids say but can you keep your ear and try to prevent those kind of things. We arent real thrilled she is saying that. Its not your fault and we arent mad-just not appropriate for a 3 year old girl to say.”

The thing is, this girl lies all of the time. It’s always been about someone pushing her, taking toys away, to me putting her in time out everyday etc. The child she blamed it on has a speech delay and barely talks so I know it wasn’t him.
None of the other kids speak like that and are always in the same room no matter what. I’m worried it could potentially escalate to lying about something else.

Besides this incident this mom has also requested that I ask permission before I turn on any movie or show (we watched Moana and she flipped because DCG isn’t allowed to watch it)
She demanded that her child have a dairy free diet 2 months ago, as of this week she said she wanted to do away with afternoon nap. I don’t know, I’m just feeling annoyed with mom and like it’s affecting our client/provided relationship. I don’t want to just term but I’m feeling a little uneasy after that text.
rosieteddy 06:06 PM 05-24-2018
I personally would term.Wanting to change naptime,movie time and dairy free.Nope wouldn't work for me.You are not her employee ,she attends your program.I would send a notice and say that your program is no longer a good fit.If you have that in your contract that you can stop care ASAP I would.
Homebody 06:31 PM 05-24-2018
Has this family been with you long? If you can afford to term and can find a replacement easily, I would consider it. This mom sounds like a control freak and I think this will only get worse. And I would tell her there is no way dcb could of said that because of his speech delay.
mamamanda 06:45 PM 05-24-2018
I would lean towards terming too for liability reasons. Kids that intentionally lie make me very nervous. And mom seems overly controlling. I'm curious, does she happen to be religious? I ask b/c we have several friends who chose not to allow their children to watch Moana b/c it's pretty controversial from a Christian perspective. We chose to allow our children to watch it, but we watched it with them & answered a whole lot of questions afterward b/c our oldest in particular was very confused by some of the messages in the movie. I'm just wondering if maybe that would explain why she was so bothered by the movie. Is she ok with most other kids movies?

Ultimately you have to do what works best for you & your group. The fact that she wants to control so many things would be difficult for me to deal with. I definitely think you'll have more peace of mind if you term.
Mike 07:13 PM 05-24-2018
All 3 pp's have good points. I also agree that it would probably be in your best interest to let this one go. Smells like potential trouble to me.
Ac114 07:14 PM 05-24-2018
Yes they are as we are too. But we’ve also seen the movie with our children and had open dialogue about it. She’s very controlling and these are just the major things. There’s been smaller annoyances in the past. I just didn’t want to overact and see what others thought as well.
Unregistered 07:47 PM 05-24-2018
My knee jerk response would be:

You are right we can't control what children say, and I too am not thrilled she is saying what she is. I have kept my ear, and am aware that DCB is not yet capable of expressing what DCG has stated. I am unable to prevent a child from lying, and the only way I can prevent the risk and liability association with a young child's lies is to end our childcare agreement. It is not your fault and I am not mad - just it is not appropriate to keep a 3 year old child in care that is saying things that are not true.
Josiegirl 02:16 AM 05-25-2018
Is this child exposed to school age kids someplace? It sounds just like what my FT prek kids would bring into dc. It seems as soon as they enter larger classrooms, peers with older sibs, they start bringing home all kinds of things. I've never seen Moana so have no idea but can a child that young understand the hidden meanings that can sometimes be in kid movies? And is it a G movie? As far as the dairy requirement, did she have a good reason? Dr. ordered? Family lactose intolerant? Vegan? And no nap? Hah! Can't make them sleep but everyone needs a rest IMO. What does the child do when she gets home, watch TV? Or run around outside and play to tire herself out? I have an almost 5 yo that comes here after full day prek and she is so exhausted no one can be near her.
All in all, she does sound like she wants to be in control and in home dc is just not set up for special. If you had 6 dcks and everyone wanted special, yikes.
Ac114 03:54 AM 05-25-2018
Yes, she is exposed to older kids. She goes to grandmas house 2 days a week where her cousins also go and her oldest cousin is 5 and in an half day preschool program. I’m sure that’s where she heard it from. My group is infant to 4 but my 4 year old has not started preschool yet.

The Moana thing is because of the demi gods and they are Christian (so are we) and she said I was exposing her. She was 2.5 at the time and definitely wouldn’t understand it, my 4 year old doesn’t really grasp the full concept of the movie. But she came at me very strong about it.

The dairy thing is because she is having bowel issues and they are very hard. Mom thinks it’s because of dairy, not the fact that her diet consist of candy, lucky charm marshmallows and strawberry donuts every morning. But she’s only dairy free here not at home. They need to make sure she’s not having dairy here so they can monitor how much dairy she does have at home. It doesn’t make sense to me, you’re either dairy free or you aren’t but I don’t like the control factor over my menu.

This child always falls asleep everyday for at least 2.5 hours. I usually wake her up. Parents don’t want her napping anymore because they said they need relaxing time in the evening and she’s going to bed too late. I told them we have rest period and she doesn’t have to nap but I’m not going to entertain her so she doesn’t fall asleep.
Josiegirl 04:06 AM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
Yes, she is exposed to older kids. She goes to grandmas house 2 days a week where her cousins also go and her oldest cousin is 5 and in an half day preschool program. I’m sure that’s where she heard it from. My group is infant to 4 but my 4 year old has not started preschool yet.

The Moana thing is because of the demi gods and they are Christian (so are we) and she said I was exposing her. She was 2.5 at the time and definitely wouldn’t understand it, my 4 year old doesn’t really grasp the full concept of the movie. But she came at me very strong about it.

The dairy thing is because she is having bowel issues and they are very hard. Mom thinks it’s because of dairy, not the fact that her diet consist of candy, lucky charm marshmallows and strawberry donuts every morning. But she’s only dairy free here not at home. They need to make sure she’s not having dairy here so they can monitor how much dairy she does have at home. It doesn’t make sense to me, you’re either dairy free or you aren’t but I don’t like the control factor over my menu.

This child always falls asleep everyday for at least 2.5 hours. I usually wake her up. Parents don’t want her napping anymore because they said they need relaxing time in the evening and she’s going to bed too late. I told them we have rest period and she doesn’t have to nap but I’m not going to entertain her so she doesn’t fall asleep.
Just no. Too much special. Especially the nap and dairy issues. It's okay for you to modify the whole group(no nap for 1 would create a whole bunch of issues) for 1 dck but for her to not do dairy at home, to do HER part?? Uhuh. Did you mention junk food can definitely cause problems too?? I would no long work around her wants. And if she's too bit@hy about it I'd use the 'my program no longer fits your needs'. I bet you'd see a back pedal very quickly.
Jamie 04:11 AM 05-25-2018
The only thing here that makes sense to me is the movie. I think it's reasonable for a parent to want to know what movies/shows their kids are watching.

Dairy free diet, but they feed her dairy and crappy food at home?? No way! Lazy parents!

Blaming you for the explicit speech? No way! Even if she heard it at your place, what are you supposed to do? Duct tape all the kids' mouths to make sure nobody says anything like that, ever? Kids say inappropriate things, and parents have to deal with it!

No naps? No way!

What worries me the most is a parent who seems to believe more of what her 3 yo says than what you say. That can end VERY badly!! Regardless if they intend to lie or not, little kids say a LOT of weird things, and they have NO concept of the consequences. HUGE red flag!
LysesKids 04:52 AM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:

If you are on the food program she can't control what you serve without a Dr's written paper work specifying the allergy and I wouldn't do it especially if mom isn't doing same at home... two, the lying thing would bother me as would mom trying to control everything. As was said, just tell parents that your program isn't a good fit for their family anymore and give them a term notice. I wouldn't want the liability
storybookending 05:52 AM 05-25-2018
All of these issues individually would probably be something that I would try hard to make work out. All of them from the same mom? Next!
Ac114 06:10 AM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
All of these issues individually would probably be something that I would try hard to make work out. All of them from the same mom? Next!
That’s how I feel. I’ve complied with all of the requests (except the nap) and but I’m just feeling burnt out by it.
rosieteddy 06:16 AM 05-25-2018
I would term today.Sounds like they could just send her to Grandmothers house.No way would I keep her.I required a report saying a child was allergic before stopping dairy.Not a Dr. note but a report.The lying ,nap and movie issue are theother reasons.
LysesKids 06:49 AM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I would term today.Sounds like they could just send her to Grandmothers house.No way would I keep her.I required a report saying a child was allergic before stopping dairy.Not a Dr. note but a report.The lying ,nap and movie issue are theother reasons.
Here in my area, pediatric allergists are good about giving parents the exact printout of allergens and at what level they fall at (mild to severe by #); I get a copy of that from parents before I will do any special diet. When I stated Drs paperwork, this is what I meant, not just a note from a regular practitioner
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 05-25-2018
I don't work well with parents that micromanage this type of stuff.

These are all common childhood things... and the MORE your child is exposed to a group setting the more they will exhibit these types of behaviors. The more controlling a parent is, the more the child will latch onto these types of behaviors....more for shock value than anything.

I would have told DCM that this is all stuff you deal with daily and you have your day under control but anything DCG says or does at home is DCM's issue to deal with. She needs to be taking the time to educate her child about what she (her family etc) allows and doesn't allow.

My kids used to spend a good deal of time with their grandmother. Grandma used to let them do/say all sorts of things that my DH and I did not. Since I was unable to control what grandma did/didn't do, I chose instead to make sure my kids understood that what is okay AT grandma's house isn't always acceptable at home.

Same with school. When my son first went to Kindy, I remember a cashier in a store asking him around the end of the first month of school how he liked it and what types of things has he learned so far.
He immediately demonstrated the most recent thing he learned. Arm pit farts. Yep. arm pit farts.

Did I find it funny or acceptable or something we did regularly in my family? No, but that's kind of what happens when you put a group of children together.
Can I control the kids or the things talked about at school?
Nope, but I could educate and manage MY child.

Sorry for the novel but basically I think you need to tell DCM you will handle stuff on your time and she can handle stuff on her time and if she isn't okay with that (communication is fine, micro-managing is NOT) then she can hire a nanny and TELL her how to do her job.

Or better yet....stay home and raise her own child without ever exposing her to society.
Cat Herder 07:04 AM 05-25-2018
Attention Seeking Parent. IABYF

For a laugh

https://www.facebook.com/gerrybrooks...5722988303964/

https://www.facebook.com/gerrybrooks...2882886419230/
nannyde 09:42 AM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

For a laugh

I'm madly in love with him 😊
Cat Herder 11:43 AM 05-25-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I'm madly in love with him ��
He's the best.

"Don't be bringing no carrots to the birthday party, I'm 'surrious "

"Because I said so. Boom. "

The school nurse one, tears. "Just give her a peppermint and call 911."

His "respect" video, though. https://www.facebook.com/gerrybrooks...1426800733583/
Blackcat31 01:10 PM 05-25-2018

For a laugh

He totally reminds me of Donnie Baker.
I swear to God...
...just a bit more polished.
Josiegirl 03:09 AM 05-26-2018
A couple years ago I had a little girl in my care; her mom was a teacher. Well, she was nice enough but she and I had some very different beliefs when it came to children. She wanted me to work with her dd on letters; I think her dd was 3 at the time. IF a child shows interest then I'll definitely expand on it but otherwise, no. Then her dd had an occasional potty accident and she wanted me to put her in time-out for it. I refused and told her why.
Then 1 day I ran into the bathroom for a quick potty break and when I came back out, she and a younger toddler were playing hide 'n' seek on me behind a dollhouse. Thought nothing of it until I get a call from dcm telling me her dd said she was hiding on me and the other little girl was 'eating her vagina'. She was horrified and wanted me to talk to the other little girl. I told her seriously?? The other little girl was around 15 mo and would have no clue. She may have heard the word vagina here because at the time I had an extremely verbal prek dcg who said all kinds of words but other than that.....?
I couldn't wait for them to leave.
CeriBear 07:18 AM 05-26-2018
This woman is making way too many demands on you. I can understand the dairy-free if such a diet was recommended by a physician due to lactose intolerance or milk allergy or even if the family followed a dairy free diet at home as a lifestyle choice. But to have you provide a special diet for her when they don’t even do so at home is just wrong.

As for the nap issue I think you should say that you don’t require a nap but you do require that she rest and lie on her cot during nap time. You can’t control whether she sleeps or not but that you can’t entertain her so that she won’t fall asleep. If the parents want such one on one attention for their child they can hire a nanny.

Add me to the list of those who think you should term.
Mad_Pistachio 03:10 PM 05-28-2018
the mom asking about dropping kids off at the principal's home reminded me something.

we donated money to the local YMCA (which our school is built up to, they now share a hallway) for kids to be able to have swimming lessons. one of the rewards for giving a certain amount was the school/YMCA lock-in. basically, we dropped our daugher off at 6 pm on a Saturday and were asked to pick up by 10 pm. she played, ate pizza, had some pool time, and all that... and we had a date night we didn't expect because we thought the lock-in was a family thing (well, we were told we were welcome to stay, but no other parent did, and it was awkward, so we just sneaked out).
we came to pick up shortly after 9 pm, and the principal, who was one of the people in charge of the lock-in, said that our daughter was a pleasure, and we didn't have to come so early (early! 9pm! )
we kind of admitted that we haven't had a night date since she was born, so this was an interesting experience, but now we were ready to have her back, please. and the principal said, "oh, I'll babysit her any time you want a date night!"
we went on the lock-in and were offered babysitting services from our school principal.
good times.
Ariana 11:34 AM 05-29-2018
He's the best.

"Don't be bringing no carrots to the birthday party, I'm 'surrious "

"Because I said so. Boom. "

The school nurse one, tears. "Just give her a peppermint and call 911."

His "respect" video, though. https://www.facebook.com/gerrybrooks...1426800733583/
OMG I am dying over here

That is the best thing ever!!
Ariana 11:37 AM 05-29-2018
As for the OP, I personally would just ignore and respond with “oh goodness that is concerning, I will definitely keep an eye on that” in my best fake concerned voice and then ignore. I would not be giving in to any requests and she is free to leave and give notice if she wants to.

If you feel this child is a liability then definiteky terminate.
Tags:control freak, parents - changing things, stressful days, terminate
Reply Up