Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Reminders Before Ending Contract?
Baby Beluga 02:32 PM 09-17-2018
My contracts have a start date but no specific end date. Instead I have parents renew and update their handbook and contracts each fall; I usually send everything out the first week of September. Per my handbook, I also evaluate tuition at this time and will increase, decrease or keep tuition the same depending on what current market pricing is.

I have all new families with the exception of one. This family is paying $25 less per week than everyone else AND is my earliest arrival by 60 minutes. I raised their rates $10 per week. I sent out the new HB and contract on 9/7 and in my letter said I have attached your updated handbook and contract reflecting your new tuition, please return the signed and completed handbook and contract no later than Friday September 14, 2018. Even though their tuition increase will not begin until 9/28 (for the first week in October)

Mom has not returned the new HB and contract. I wrote a reminder on DCB's daily sheet on Friday 9/14 and again today. At what point do I say to mom I need this returned by X date or I will withdraw DCB from care and fill his spot with another child? (with notice for them to find alternative arrangements of course.)
Snowmom 02:45 PM 09-17-2018
2 reminders sent already?

Do you have a notice period? Have they paid for the week?

If they were current on payment and you have a two week notice period, I would text her (with "read" receipt) today: This is the final reminder to send in your signed overdue contract. If it is not received by tomorrow (Tuesday, 9/18/18 at drop off), I will have no choice but to consider this your notice to terminate with a final date of care dated 10/5/18.
Baby Beluga 02:48 PM 09-17-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
2 reminders sent already?

Do you have a notice period? Have they paid for the week?

If they were current on payment and you have a two week notice period, I would text her (with "read" receipt) today: This is the final reminder to send in your signed overdue contract. If it is not received by tomorrow (Tuesday, 9/18/18 at drop off),
Yes, two reminders already. They are current on payment and I have a 2 week termination policy.

"I will have no choice but to consider this your notice to terminate with a final date of care dated 10/5/18." I like this wording. Family has been with me since 2014 and has been good about returning paperwork in the past. So I am not sure if this is a case of family is busy/stressed and they forgot (mom had her first late payment a week ago and has mentioned being stressed and not sleeping well)or if this is their way of saying no to the increase. I just want to know I can make plans on my end
Blackcat31 03:11 PM 09-17-2018
Personally, I would tell DCM that you will NOT provide services until contract has been returned. PERIOD.

You set a NO LATER THAN date.

DCM is an adult.

I would e-mail or text and simply say;

"Please note: no additional services will be provided after today (9/17) until handbook and contract are returned as previously requested. Thank you!"

Add a smiling emoji if you feel the need... lol!

I have issues but totally understand kids not listening but I just can not deal with adults that hear but don't listen.
MarinaVanessa 03:55 PM 09-17-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Mom has not returned the new HB and contract. I wrote a reminder on DCB's daily sheet on Friday 9/14 and again today. At what point do I say to mom I need this returned by X date or I will withdraw DCB from care and fill his spot with another child? (with notice for them to find alternative arrangements of course.)
Why are you writing notes? Have you spoken to her face to face, if not TODAY'S THE DAY!

Sounds like you'd like to give her one last chance to bring them in so have a letter ready for her at pickup TODAY and have a face to face conversation with her. Just be up front
"Hey Susan, the deadline to have contracts back to me has passed and I still don't have yours. Can you bring it tomorrow? If I don't have it then I don't have a valid contract with you and daycare services will be interrupted. I'd hate to do that so can you bring it tomorrow for sure? You sure? Absolutely sure? Without it I can't accept little Suzie tomorrow."
Change the due date if you want (I wouldn't) but you MUST stick to it this time.

The letter should say something like
"Dear DCP,

The deadline to have your new contract and handbook signed and returned was [date]. It is now [today's date] and I have not received your signed contract and handbook even though several reminders have been left for you in the [where you leave the reminders].

This is your final notice to return the necessary signed documents. If I do not receive these by [date. preferably tomorrow] your child's childcare services will be suspended until you return them signed and completed. If they are not returned by Friday, September 21 I will take this as your two-week notice to terminate care and your 2-week security fee will be applied to the final two weeks even if your child does not attend during the final 2 weeks.

Please return them no later than drop-off tomorrow morning to avoid suspension of your services.

Sincerely
Peeved Provider"

Or something like that.

But nothing beats actually talking to her. Obviously written reminders aren't working so be direct with her.
Baby Beluga 04:07 PM 09-17-2018
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Why are you writing notes? Have you spoken to her face to face, if not TODAY'S THE DAY!
This is what I planned to do. I would hate to p.o a parent, especially if a note was missed so I figured I would write a note on the daily sheet and verbally remind mom. This way if she still doesn't return it I have tried every avenue I could and I would feel comfortable terming care at that point.

The reminder on Friday was on DCB's daily sheet which was sent via email to mom. Usually I write notes on the note section of the daily sheet because 98% of the time this child's pick up is rough and it is difficult to speak with mom.
284878 03:39 AM 09-18-2018
I took Tom's advice with my contacts and It has a clause that states:
I parent names agree to abide by all the current and future policies given to me by day care name. (Or something like that)
So if I change my handbook, all I have to do is pass it out or a policy admendment and a letter saying when they go into effect. I have them sign a small sheet on the spot saying they received the updated handbook and they agreed to review it.

If I do send home something that needs to be signed and they don't have back to me in a reasonable amount of time, then I print another copy and have it ready for them to sign. When I ask they claim that they have it signed but forgot to bring it, then I say no probelm and pull out my copy for them to sign on the spot.
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
I took Tom's advice with my contacts and It has a clause that states:
I parent names agree to abide by all the current and future policies given to me by day care name. (Or something like that)
So if I change my handbook, all I have to do is pass it out or a policy admendment and a letter saying when they go into effect. I have them sign a small sheet on the spot saying they received the updated handbook and they agreed to review it.

If I do send home something that needs to be signed and they don't have back to me in a reasonable amount of time, then I print another copy and have it ready for them to sign. When I ask they claim that they have it signed but forgot to bring it, then I say no probelm and pull out my copy for them to sign on the spot.
My contract includes 3 paragraphs that parents must initial and date individually. The 3 paragraphs read as follows:

I have read and agree to the statements and policies outlined in ABC Child Care's handbook. I fully understand all rates, payments, late fees, and scheduling procedures._______.

I was given ample time to read the handbook and was provided contact info should I have any questions. I understand that by signing this contract I agree to abide by all rules and policies set forth in the handbook. _______.

Failure on my part to fully read the handbook does not give me valid excuse to disregard any policies and rules and I acknowledge that I can be terminated immediately for violation of any or all of ABC Child Care's policies. ______.

Cat Herder 06:59 AM 09-18-2018
Did she bring it this morning?
Baby Beluga 09:49 AM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Did she bring it this morning?
She did

Blamed it on dad not signing yet. In her defense, her signatures are dated for 9/8 and his were dated for last night...so *shrug*
Cat Herder 10:14 AM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
She did

Blamed it on dad not signing yet. In her defense, her signatures are dated for 9/8 and his were dated for last night...so *shrug*
At least it is done.

No pushback on rate, I hope?
Baby Beluga 11:23 AM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
At least it is done.

No pushback on rate, I hope?
Nope, not a word.
Tags:contract - broken, terminate
Reply Up