Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Second Helpings?
MommaB3 10:00 AM 03-14-2014
What do you guys do regarding second helpings at snack and meal times? If I've made a pizza and there happens to be left over slices I have no problem giving those out but other times I make the exact amount of something and someone will ask for seconds and I don't make extra but then I wondered if others did?

My biggest issue is snack times. All my kids are definitely "snackers". They rarely eat their meals and want to fill up on snacks. I rarely do seconds of snacks. I serve at least the recommended serving usually a little more but it never fails at least one kids asks for extras.

My SA kids are by far the worst. I feel like if I fed them till they were 'full' every time my grocery bill would be crazy!

Any ideas or suggestions?
Cat Herder 10:03 AM 03-14-2014
"Snacks are not meals, enough is enough".

I give seconds of fruit & veggies any time, though.

No guilt because I KNOW they get plenty of sugar/starch at home, I clean the poptarts out of their clothing most mornings after arrival...
VTMom 10:34 AM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

No guilt because I KNOW they get plenty of sugar/starch at home, I clean the poptarts out of their clothing most mornings after arrival...
I do the same for snacks. If I have any leftovers for lunch, I'll allow seconds until it's gone, but otherwise it's just seconds on fruits, vegetables and milk (within reason).
Blackcat31 10:38 AM 03-14-2014
I don't do seconds for snack time.

For lunch, if there is seconds left, the kids who choose to have seconds on veggies (first) are the ones who get the seconds on pizza or whatever we had that day.

If there isn't any seconds available, then they will just have to wait until snack time. I serve a pretty wholesome lunch so there really isn't any reason for any of them to be "starving".

Unless they chose not to eat.

That's on them.
Meyou 10:38 AM 03-14-2014
I don't offer seconds at snack. I normally offer apples, bananas, carrots or raisins for seconds at lunch. If they're still hungry they'll chose one and if they just want more pizza, they won't.

I don't usually make enough of any main to offer seconds of that. One of my dd's packs the extra from the kid's lunch for her dinner because she's gone for sports at dinnertime each day.
drseuss 11:07 AM 03-14-2014
Our state regs say that for actual meals, there must be extra fruit/veggie and starch available for those who ask for seconds. Snacks, no seconds are required. I do let them have as much fruit or veggie as they want at snack, though. The bottomless raw veggie container in the fridge gets emptied quickly, which is fine with me!

I do not usually give seconds of milk, because I think a lot of kids drink way too much.
sahm1225 11:24 AM 03-14-2014
I've been wondering about this too (seconds, serving size). I have a 5 year old who is very big for his age (not overweight but solid & super tall). Last week for lunch He ate more than I did! I had to tell him no More when he combined he was still hungry. Dcm was surprised I said 'no more' (saying she usually gives him an apple or two when he's still hungry). So I've been thinking about that and wondering if my portion sizes are off and I'm not set of enough?

Them yesterday he had scrambled eggs, 3 slices of turkey bacon, and homemade fries for breakfast (a very very generous helping). Snack was an apple. Lunch was 2 slices of pizza, huge handful of baby carrots & Milk. He complained he was hungry but there was no more food left! I'm sure he went home and complained to dcm about being hungry, but I'm beginning to think that he eats for comfort and not hunger.
FCCarmyprovider 03:00 PM 03-14-2014
For army we HAVE to have enough food for seconds for the kids. It gets expensive
Blackcat31 03:05 PM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I've been wondering about this too (seconds, serving size). I have a 5 year old who is very big for his age (not overweight but solid & super tall). Last week for lunch He ate more than I did! I had to tell him no More when he combined he was still hungry. Dcm was surprised I said 'no more' (saying she usually gives him an apple or two when he's still hungry). So I've been thinking about that and wondering if my portion sizes are off and I'm not set of enough?

Them yesterday he had scrambled eggs, 3 slices of turkey bacon, and homemade fries for breakfast (a very very generous helping). Snack was an apple. Lunch was 2 slices of pizza, huge handful of baby carrots & Milk. He complained he was hungry but there was no more food left! I'm sure he went home and complained to dcm about being hungry, but I'm beginning to think that he eats for comfort and not hunger.
Are you on the food program?

They have portion sizes for each age group.

Maybe you could print that info off and give to mom. If she still feels you should feed him more, tell her the rate will go up in order to meet his needs then.

I had a larger 5 yr old that could eat what two grown men could and I was very upfront/open with mom about the portion sizes and how I would not automatically make enough for second helpings for him, nor would I provide additional snacks without additional compensation.

I think you are right though about eating for comfort verses hunger. Too many kids are taught to do that...which is WHY I despise using food as a treat or reward for anything. I think it sends the wrong message to the kids who are just developing life long eating habits.
daycare 03:08 PM 03-14-2014

this!!!

also besides pizza what else are you serving? any fruit or veggie?
TwinKristi 04:52 PM 03-14-2014
All mine are toddlers except after school I have one big boy. I don't usually have this problem YET! LOL
SilverSabre25 08:25 PM 03-14-2014
Seconds mostly on veggies. NEVER on fruit (it's expensive and we have it 2-3 times a day, no need). Sometimes on the bready/starchy/main course. Sometimes I'll give seconds of things like graham cracker with peanut butter.

And sometimes if I didn't really make enough for seconds and a couple kids are REALLY still hungry, I'll offer baby carrots or something like that. If they're hungry, they'll accept.

if snack didn't include a fruit and someone is still hungry I offer a banana. So yeah. I guess....bottom line...I go with the flow?
Wubby 08:42 PM 03-14-2014
I don't do seconds on milk or snacks, ever. Lunch, seconds on anything left ( I hate leftovers) , but they cannot have seconds unless they take fruit or veggies.
Leanna 06:34 AM 03-15-2014
NYS requires second helpings to be available. I don't have a problem with this as all but one of my DCKs are really good eaters.
Unregistered 10:03 AM 03-16-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
One of my dd's packs the extra from the kid's lunch for her dinner because she's gone for sports at dinnertime each day.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. If my DD or DS couldn't have seconds of something so that there was enough left for your child. I think you should make your own child something else for dinner, and use the dc leftovers IF there are any after the kids have all they want. That's just me though, my kids get seconds on whatever they want, provided they have eaten all their food. They can't have more pizza until they eat their fruits and veggies, but if they do, they can. Not being a troll, just my opinion.
Meyou 12:31 AM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm not sure how I feel about this. If my DD or DS couldn't have seconds of something so that there was enough left for your child. I think you should make your own child something else for dinner, and use the dc leftovers IF there are any after the kids have all they want. That's just me though, my kids get seconds on whatever they want, provided they have eaten all their food. They can't have more pizza until they eat their fruits and veggies, but if they do, they can. Not being a troll, just my opinion.
The daycare kids can have seconds of apple, banana, raisins or carrots. Just because I chose to make my dd's dinner with the dck's lunch does not mean my dck's are deprived of anything. If small children are hungry they will eat more fruit or veggies. If they aren't hungry they won't. All of the dck's get a full serving of the main and multiple sides.
Scribbles 07:44 AM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Most providers are only required to have the correct serving size available for a daycare child with NO requirement about having to have seconds or additional foods available.

I don't see how a daycare child's right to seconds outweighs a providers own child as to who gets the food.

As a provider, I am only reimbursed to provide ONE serving of whatever foods I am providing. The rate I charge my parents also includes only ONE serving.

I go above and beyond what the food program requires and serve organic, wholesome foods so any left over foods belong to me and I should be free to give them to whomever I choose to.

Being a DCK doesn't automatically give that child priority over a provider's child.
KidGrind 09:07 AM 03-17-2014
I do seconds during breakfast and lunch if they ask.

All I tell them is, “You can have more XYZ when ABC are finished.”

I cook enough to meet the USDA required portions. The kids usually don’t eat the required portions. There is always something leftover.
Cat Herder 09:11 AM 03-17-2014
These may help some with perceptions. "My Plate" has actual plates with charts that kids AND parents can use to learn this stuff. It may also alleviate some provider self doubt.

I bought my meal resources at Positive Promotions because they had the best prices I could find. Look under the "my plate" section.
Attached: handportionchart_1222.jpg (115.9 KB) my plate1.jpg (125.9 KB) my plate2.jpg (75.5 KB) myplate3.jpg (13.5 KB) 
SilverSabre25 09:23 AM 03-17-2014
These may help some with perceptions. "My Plate" has actual plates with charts that kids AND parents can use to learn this stuff. It may also alleviate some provider self doubt.

I bought my meal resources at Positive Promotions because they had the best prices I could find. Look under the "my plate" section.
Catherder those graphics are awesome! I'm going to look those up. I have a wall in my kitchen that needs some decoration.
Unregistered 09:25 AM 03-17-2014
I view snacks as a means to tide them over to the next meal, so seconds are not given. I have a few who would make a meal out of snacks and skip meals if I let them. For breakfast and lunch I already serve more than a typical serving size. If they wish more it will be extra fruit at breakfast, or extra veggies at lunch within reason.
Second Home 12:26 PM 03-17-2014
I usually cook a little more than what I think the kids will eat . They are allowed seconds if they finish all of their first serving , then they can choose what seconds they want ( fruit , drink , meat , pasta ,etc...) . I do not give seconds for snacks .

I too wonder about serving size with the SA kids . I had 2 brothers who would easily eat 5 waffles each for breakfast .
Scribbles 12:37 PM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I usually cook a little more than what I think the kids will eat . They are allowed seconds if they finish all of their first serving , then they can choose what seconds they want ( fruit , drink , meat , pasta ,etc...) . I do not give seconds for snacks .

I too wonder about serving size with the SA kids . I had 2 brothers who would easily eat 5 waffles each for breakfast .
Here is the Food Program recommended serving sizes for kids in all age groups.

I printed this out and keep it handy for myself and parents if they are wanting to know what is considered a serving size.

http://ncchildcare.dhhs.state.nc.us/...l_patterns.pdf
Heidi 12:38 PM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:

I see they're no longer in your group, but I think some kids need to slow down! 5 waffles means they are probably wolfing them down so fast, they don't know when they're full. Plus, waffles with syrup is a lot of cheap carbs, so they are probably hungry again an hour later. Unless they're whole-grain, which is all I will serve my kids now. No syrup, either, I give them unsweetened applesauce to "dip" them in.
Tags:serving seconds, snack foods, treats
Reply Up