Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Do You All Have Public Liability Insurance??
jacky 04:57 PM 06-26-2008
Hi, just a general question, as im not from USA. Do you carers have public liability insurance for your businesses? I read something before about it & tought that you would be crazy to work without it!
DinTx 11:13 AM 07-03-2008
Daycare homes are not required to carry insurance in Texas, but it's a good idea if one can afford it.
daycaremom1998 03:31 PM 07-03-2008
Hi Jacky,

My homeowners insurance offers liability insurance for daycares that is added right onto my homeowners policy and monthly payment. I like this as it is collected with my monthly mortgage payment and re-dispersed to the insurance company through the escrow account. Then at the end of the year, I get a statement for my taxes from my homeowners insurance company.

If you like this idea and want to ask your homeowners insurance company about it, I would encourage you to tread very carefully and approach them in a hypothetical manner. Some insurance companies might have a completely opposite reaction than mine and drop you all together from their coverage even for thinking about home daycare because they feel that home daycare is too big a risk.

I'm not sure if that is the information you were looking for, but I hope it helped.
bridges 10:40 AM 10-15-2009
Buying homeowners insurance rider or endorsement is a guarantee to ensure you have an adequate coverage
AmandasFCC 12:33 PM 10-16-2009
hi Jacky,

I'm in Canada. In BC our homeowners insurance will cover only unlicensed daycares but you need to look into that for your own area. In mine I was able to go our local referral agency to get the names of companies which offer daycare insurance. As far as I can tell here, insurance in relatively inexpensive, and a very good investment. Hope that helps!
Chickenhauler 12:02 AM 10-18-2009
Our homeowners insurance has specific wording that points out there there is NO COVERAGE for daycare, and if an proper coverage is not maintained, the homeowners policy is null and void.

We have an additional policy that covers the premises, the kids, and anything that may happen at any location while children are in our care (field trip, in the car, etc).

Operating a daycare without insurance is just asking for trouble......all it takes is one lawsuit to lose everything you have worked your whole life to achieve....even if you win that lawsuit, the lawyer fees alone will wipe you out.
Tags:homeowners, insurance, liability
Reply Up