Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>And The Sickness Begins......Again
Christina72684 06:24 AM 08-25-2014
We've had issues with colds all summer it seems, especially June-beginning of August. Everyone's been healthy for the past few weeks so we thought we were good for a while. Then this morning I get a text from one mom that says her preschooler won't be here today, a call from an infant who has stuffy nose and gunky eyes that won't be here, a toddler is in the hospital with pneumonia, and 2 kids (infant and toddler) came in this morning with their moms saying they don't feel well. Awesome! Not the way I wanted to start my Monday/week, but I'm sure none of them had a good weekend either. At least we disinfect and clean like crazy here. And the kids are always washing their hands and coughing in their elbow. Is there anything else we can do?
Cat Herder 06:36 AM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
2 kids (infant and toddler) came in this morning with their moms saying they don't feel well.

Is there anything else we can do?
Not allow those two in.

A good exclusion policy is worth it's weight in gold.
Blackcat31 07:44 AM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Not allow those two in.

A good exclusion policy is worth it's weight in gold.
Thats what I was thinking.

I have a really tough/tight illness policy and rarely have issues with sickness other than a few minor things here and there but nothing that wipes out a larger group at one time.

I also would not have allowed the two who didn't feel well to stay.
Christina72684 08:41 AM 08-25-2014
Their moms said that, but they've acted just fine. One preschool girl has been coughing a little, and 3-4 toddlers have runny noses but that's it.
Blackcat31 09:00 AM 08-25-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
Their moms said that, but they've acted just fine. One preschool girl has been coughing a little, and 3-4 toddlers have runny noses but that's it.
I would've said to the moms upon them saying the child didn't feel good, that they shouldn't be here then.

I don't care what they act like...if the mom says the words, then I believe her and will not allow the child to attend.

Did you ask what they meant when they said they weren't feeling well?

I guess I would have said "Oh, what do you mean they aren't feeling well?"

Had a temp, threw up last night/this morning, whiney, had diarrhea, was at the Dr over the weekend?

kwim? I would not have been satisfied with just a "They aren't feeling good" type comment without some explaining.
BigLittleHomeDaycare 03:54 PM 08-25-2014
Here too! Pretty sure my brother/sister day care kids have hand foot and mouth. Their mom tried to point to my daycare. However, no one else has those issues. But they have other problems. Weather was bad here over the weekend so lots of heat and diaper rashes and end of summer colds. Also first time a mom admitted to me that she dropped off her dcd with a dose of Advil for breakfast. Ugh!
Tags:exclusion, illness policy, sick
Reply Up