Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default More Variable Hours Issues - Really Just A Vent

So my only steady dck's mom works in a grocery store with a weekly changing schedule. She told me initially that she definitely needed Thurs/Fri, maybe Mon-Wed if dcd had to work too. So we wrote up the contract hours "as needed, Thurs/Fri guaranteed, schedule due by 6pm Sunday night." I was very explicit in telling her that I could not guarantee Mon-Wed because I accept drop-ins. On Sat I email my drop-in parents letting them know what hours are available (some schedule days months in advance knowing they have appts) and the deal is they email or call by 6pm Sunday if they wish to take a spot. First come, first serve. If I feel like taking a day "off" to be with my own kids or whatever, I just don't list it. On any given day I have 1 or 2 kids for a couple of hours.

Saturday evening I receive via email TH/F dcm's schedule "just Th/F this week. See you then." Then another email yesterday "It's going to snow on Wed, dad will be plowing, I need you then too 7-5ish". Now I had already emailed my spots to drop-ins and not offered Wed since I had plans if the snow wasn't bad enough that I couldn't go out. So I email back saying I'm not available on Wed. Dcm emails back "it's before 6pm, I don't understand what the problem is?" Ugh! Back again at her "You gave me your schedule yesterday, I made plans for a day you would not be here. I told you I would not guarantee those hours for you. I'm sorry, but I am closed that day." No email back.

I know she's angry, but this is also my dcm that pays me 1/2 day rate for full day cuz she only make $8/hr and won't fill out the voucher paperwork. I'm not going to automatically change my plans for her for $25. Ugh. Grrr. I don't want to lose the steady income but in the same right I feel like she's starting to try to bend the rules. I'm going to stick to my guns, and I doubt she'll willing leave since she gets such a great deal from me. But who knows.

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

You did what I would have done. She emailed you her schedule. You made plans. The end.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I will never deal with variable scedules again after what I went through. Seems this parent just expects you to be at their beck and call. Hold your ground now, or you will end up in a mess like i was. You have your plans, stick to them and have her make other arrangments. Let us know how you make out!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 AM

I can't believe that she actually asked you what the problem is.....umm, how about you aren't available that day. PERIOD. None of her business why.....would she feel dumb if you said, look I have to go have a pap smear that day...does your kid wanna come with? I'm sure it will be an educational experience!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat31 View Post
have a pap smear that day...does your kid wanna come with? I'm sure it will be an educational experience!
hahahahahahahahaha
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 AM

Looks like someone has a nice, strong backbone! Good for you! Sometimes it's so hard to stick up for ourselves, but it seems like you did a great job
Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I can't believe that she actually asked you what the problem is.....umm, how about you aren't available that day. PERIOD. None of her business why.....would she feel dumb if you said, look I have to go have a pap smear that day...does your kid wanna come with? I'm sure it will be an educational experience!
LOL! that's fantastic!

She emailed back to say she switched her hours when she realized how much snow was coming (15"+). Her crap car never would have made it to work anyways. I kinda understand the fact that she thought she had until 6pm on Sunday to get all her hours in, but in this case since she was early I made plans with friend. Not that I told her that or it's any of her business.

While I really want her to go on a voucher, I really hope they only allow her 2 days so I don't end up with this kid when she's not at work. She got sent home early one day but didn't show until closing because she wanted some alone time. Understandable if she were paying me a full day rate, but I gave her a break so she could get back on her feet after dcd split. I had to tell her working hours only (which I really need to get a new contract signed for) or she pays my full rate which she can't afford. As soon as the she finds out I get paid from the state whether he's here or not, he'll be here every day no matter what.

Tags
hours vary, vent