Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Milk Transitioning

I have an 11 mo old dck that has a dairy allergy. He's only a little over a week away from turning 1. Anyway his mom doesn't want to buy the expensive formula anymore so she cut it cold turkey at daycare and requested he be given almond milk. I am struggling. He isn't happy about the no more formula and barely drinks anything now. I'm a believer in a slower transition for my own kids but to each their own I guess. What do you guys typically do? Any ideas on what I should do? Ride it out until he's over it? Request more formula? Ask to try something else? Ugh he's so crabby... And worse... He's a screamer... My head has hurt all week from his wrath
Old 06-15-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC View Post
I have an 11 mo old dck that has a dairy allergy. He's only a little over a week away from turning 1. Anyway his mom doesn't want to buy the expensive formula anymore so she cut it cold turkey at daycare and requested he be given almond milk. I am struggling. He isn't happy about the no more formula and barely drinks anything now. I'm a believer in a slower transition for my own kids but to each their own I guess. What do you guys typically do? Any ideas on what I should do? Ride it out until he's over it? Request more formula? Ask to try something else? Ugh he's so crabby... And worse... He's a screamer... My head has hurt all week from his wrath
Are you on the food program?
Old 06-15-2018, 08:57 AM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

What formula is he on?
Old 06-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Daycare.com Member

Nutramigan formula. Yes, I'm on the food program. I'm mostly wondering how other daycares typically transition.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:13 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Nutramigan formula. Yes, I'm on the food program. I'm mostly wondering how other daycares typically transition.
Legally, he still need formula at daycare. Tell her she must provide it for another month. Then, unless he has a dr note, heíll need to transition to a nutritionally equivalent soy milk. Iíd probably try to squirrel a few scoops of formula away to mix with his soy milk for a week. But heíll either drink it, or not. As long as heís eating well otherwise, heíll be ok.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Ouch
I transition by adding one ounce of the milk to seven of the formula every three days. So Monday thru Wednesday is one ounce and then Thursday and Friday would be two ounces soy and six oz Nutramagen.

If they give the straight formula on the weekend you will not be able to do the ounce per three days deal. Both sides need to do this for it to work.

If he's super picky then half ounce increments over a period of weeks.

I wouldn't allow this until twelve months though because they are supposed to have formula until the first birthday. She needs to know you aren't allowed to NOT give the formula. You can give soy milk in addition to the normal formula amount as an extra drink but he needs his normal amount of formula till twelve months.

Very gradual transition is necessary. You also have to get a note from the doc to give soy milk before you start the transition.

If he refuses all liquids then the mom needs to come and pick up after three hours. He needs to be home to deny all liquids. You can't do that on your watch.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Ouch
I transition by adding one ounce of the milk to seven of the formula every three days. So Monday thru Wednesday is one ounce and then Thursday and Friday would be two ounces soy and six oz Nutramagen.

If they give the straight formula on the weekend you will not be able to do the ounce per three days deal. Both sides need to do this for it to work.

If he's super picky then half ounce increments over a period of weeks.

I wouldn't allow this until twelve months though because they are supposed to have formula until the first birthday. She needs to know you aren't allowed to NOT give the formula. You can give soy milk in addition to the normal formula amount as an extra drink but he needs his normal amount of formula till twelve months.

Very gradual transition is necessary. You also have to get a note from the doc to give soy milk before you start the transition.

If he refuses all liquids then the mom needs to come and pick up after three hours. He needs to be home to deny all liquids. You can't do that on your watch.
Note isnít req for Soy anymore. But it has to be nutritionally equivalent to moo juice. The easiest way to find one is look at the WIC approved list.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwichlaz View Post
Note isnít req for Soy anymore. But it has to be nutritionally equivalent to moo juice. The easiest way to find one is look at the WIC approved list.
No note for soy under one?
Old 06-16-2018, 12:56 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
No note for soy under one?
At one
Old 06-17-2018, 05:51 AM
Daycare.com Member

If it a true IgE mediated allergy (life-threatening) rather than just an intolerance or she prefers him not to have milk, I believe that is considered a disability. It is my understanding that the provider must provide the formula until age one if mom does not wish to provide it. I think BC posted a chart about that recently. Mom can provide it, but if mom decides not to and it is a true allergy (child has Epi Pen, allergy action plan from doctor), the facility (or home day care) needs to.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:56 AM
Daycare.com Member

The chart is under the thread, "how many kinds of milk do you buy?"
Old 06-17-2018, 06:06 AM
Daycare.com Member

Mom is, in my opinion, being selfish and not looking out for the best interest of her child. You can suggest the gradual transition at home and daycare (you have to provide for the next week until he turns 1 if she refuses, but after that, mom should). If, after turning 1 he refuses soy milk,send him home for not taking enough liquids. Make it her problem again to deal with and not yours

For kids with dairy allergy/intolerance, has anyone had parents refuse soy milk for their boys? Something about increased estrogen and concern for feminization? I have seen hemp milk, I think, in dairy intolerant boys for that reason.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lblanke View Post
Mom is, in my opinion, being selfish and not looking out for the best interest of her child. You can suggest the gradual transition at home and daycare (you have to provide for the next week until he turns 1 if she refuses, but after that, mom should). If, after turning 1 he refuses soy milk,send him home for not taking enough liquids. Make it her problem again to deal with and not yours

For kids with dairy allergy/intolerance, has anyone had parents refuse soy milk for their boys? Something about increased estrogen and concern for feminization? I have seen hemp milk, I think, in dairy intolerant boys for that reason.
Iíve had that come up. They just get a drs note.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lblanke View Post

Phytoestrogens are bad for growing bodies so most people/NDs/MDs do not suggest it. As long as a child is getting protein elsewhere, most substitute milks are the same as regular cow milk.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Phytoestrogens are bad for growing bodies so most people/NDs/MDs do not suggest it. As long as a child is getting protein elsewhere, most substitute milks are the same as regular cow milk.
While I agree, the food program does not and I must follow their rules. Itís moo juice or an aprove milk after a year unless a doctors note with a diagnosis an listed alternate is on file.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:38 AM
Daycare.com Member

Update:

Yes I am on the food program. I requested a Dr note from mom. She came back telling me to give him whole milk which he is loving and seems to be handling just fine so far but he can't touch cottage cheese and some other things. Anyway, he likes the whole milk and is much happier! Thank goodness!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:11 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Update:

Yes I am on the food program. I requested a Dr note from mom. She came back telling me to give him whole milk which he is loving and seems to be handling just fine so far but he can't touch cottage cheese and some other things. Anyway, he likes the whole milk and is much happier! Thank goodness!
Wait, he has a dairy allergy and tolerates whole milk? That sounds like a something-other-than-dairy allergy.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:28 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
Wait, he has a dairy allergy and tolerates whole milk? That sounds like a something-other-than-dairy allergy.
My thought exactly... When you have a true dairy allergy, All Cow or goat milk, butter, yogurt, cheese, ice cream are off limits. They make soy, almond & coconut versions of everything Nowen days... in fact my favorite ice-cream sandwich is coconut milk based
Old 07-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Daycare.com Member

Sooooo... it isn't an actual dairy allergy?
Old 07-03-2018, 01:13 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
Sooooo... it isn't an actual dairy allergy?
I don't know. All I know is what his mom has told me and what I've seen myself. He broke out in a scary looking rash on his face when I offered a tiny bit of cottage cheese. He will slightly break out from butter. I'm scared to try yogurt or regular cheese alone after the cottage cheese incident but he had a tiny bit of Alfredo sauce once and was fine... And he had a bit of grilled cheese once. His mom told me to avoid eggs and is okay with trying dairy stuff.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:21 PM
Daycare.com Member

In that case, I would only try foods that he has had safely at home 3 times (full servings) before introducing at daycare.

Tags
milk, milk transitioning, transitioning - to milk