Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Working Alone Or With Someone
morgan24 07:34 AM 07-13-2011
I have a family license that is for 6. I am considering getting licensed for 12, but would need to have someone with me anytime I'm over 6. Do you prefer being alone or having someone with you and what are your reasons?
Meeko 08:09 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I have a family license that is for 6. I am considering getting licensed for 12, but would need to have someone with me anytime I'm over 6. Do you prefer being alone or having someone with you and what are your reasons?
I am licensed for 16. For years my husband was my assistant and now my adult son is. My husband helps out too and so does my daughter. This means I can leave the day care for doctors appointments etc. We are a close knit family and love each other very much. Working together has always been a pleasure and never a chore. We never have any money issues to argue over or any power struggles as we are family and the day care is OURS. It has always been my job to make the rules, etc. and my husband and family have been happy to follow whatever I decided.

I do not think I would have expanded my day care if it meant hiring someone or having a partner other than family. I am sure it works out well for many large group providers, but not for me.

Hiring someone means having to have plans in place in case the employee doesn't show up one day, gets sick etc.

A partner opens up the possibility of clashes of personality, disagreements over policy etc. Who would have the ultimate say?

I don't want to be bothered with all the extra tax work of having an employee either.

I don't mean to put you off......I love a larger group of kids. But make sure you cover all your bases before you bring someone else into YOUR business. Make sure the person you bring into your day care is someone you can really rely on and enjoy being around.

I did day care alone for years while my husband was in the air force. It can be lonely with no other adult to relate to. A large group can be great because if one of you is feeling frustrated/tired/upset...the other is there to help. My husband and son and I have often laughed at situations that would have had me flustered if I was alone.

So you'll need to sum up all the pros and cons and go from there. If you get the RIGHT help...you will be on your way to a fun business and better financial situation.
SandeeAR 08:30 AM 07-13-2011
I'm unlicensed, so only me. Never a helper. I wanted to have my own business and answer only to myself. (I have worked for myself for many years (16) prior to this doing craft shows/craft mall booths). I love that things are done my way. I rarely take off extra time, so families can all get their own subs for those times.
DaycareMama 08:38 AM 07-13-2011
I have done daycare alone for many years and got very lonely myself. I recently expanded and hired my cousin. I feel it was a mistake. I did it bc business was slow and going group would allow for more infants which are the demand and they would age into the hard to fill spots. I was WAY off on how much an employee would cost me!!! She complains all the time and hardly does anything. I can not trust that if I left her with the kids things would run anywhere near smooth. I have considered letting her go and hiring someone else but when I sit and do the math (knowing now what an employee really costs) it is the same as being alone. ALTHOUGH I should mention I am not full to capacity but can not fill up do to lack of support from my assistant.

IMO if I could do it all over again..... I would of advertised more to fill the empty spots being alone and found an awesome sub!! So i can still take time off and be in control of everything myself.

Tough decision.... I wish you the best of luck!!
cheerfuldom 08:50 AM 07-13-2011
I would never hire someone to be here all day....did that for a while and it did not work out for me. I do have a great assistant though (went thru 3 others before finding her) but when she is here, I am not so I get a break.
daycare 08:53 AM 07-13-2011
I was faced with this decision a few months back and really had to think about the pros and cons.

Other posters here made very valid points.

Here is what I did.. I got a piece of paper out and did the one side pro other cons... The cons out wieghted the pros for me so I didnt do it.

Some of the cons for me where:
Having someone non family in my home with me 12-14 hours a day, was worried about personal differences

having to increase my DC insurance, employee pay roll, workers comp insurance.

the cost of having to pay an employee meant I had to have 8 full time kids at all times just to break even

What will I do if the employee calls off sick or quits without much notice

what if the employee mistreats a child when I am not looking? It's on me

would this employee turn on me and take my clients with them? or try to corse families to leave my DC for their benefit?

What will I do when they are late?

More kids means more cleaning and more damgaes to my house. Would the extra money that I make cover the cost of repairs and up keep to maintain the home? Would the profit aftrer everything is paid be worth it?

More kids, means more parents to deal with....lol

I will have to pay to have them go through all the necessary paper work, testing, and so on....What if after all that they quit on me or decide not to take the job?

What if my families didnt like the employee?

I had a huge list on cons....lol

However, if you think that you can do it, Then go for it, This was just my reasoning...
morgan24 09:39 AM 07-13-2011
Hmmm...this gives me a lot to think about. Thanks I appreciate all the input.
Tags:assistant, helper, ratio
Reply Up