Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas/New Years
cheerfuldom 12:04 PM 10-24-2011
What are you taking off for Christmas holidays? Christmas eve is a Sat. and Christmas day is a sunday. technically I can take off the Friday before and the Monday after but I am hesitating to do that.....

What about new years? Eve falls on a Saturday and holiday falls on a Sunday. Again, my contract allows for a Friday off if the holiday falls on a Saturday and then a Monday off if the holiday falls on a Sunday.

I usually stay open and don't take all my holidays because the parents don't get as many as I allow myself to have. What do you think? Just take everything I can off or compromise in some way?
nannyde 12:06 PM 10-24-2011
I'm taking the last two weeks of December off.
godiva83 12:07 PM 10-24-2011
To me Christmas is such a busy and important time that I want to spend with my family. I would take off as much as possible
I know my parents have the ability to take it off though.

Also, perhaps sweeten the deal and over a free sat. of care
godiva83 12:08 PM 10-24-2011
Offer not over
mismatchedsocks 12:08 PM 10-24-2011
Not taking any of those days off.
VTMom 05:57 PM 10-24-2011
I'm taking the Mondays off following Christmas and New Years.
Mom_of_two 07:06 PM 10-24-2011
I take 3 days off for Christmas that are NOT weekends. So if any fall on a weekend I make it up on a weekday, this year probably F, M and T or Th, F M... I NEED my time off!!!
Lucy 07:28 PM 10-24-2011
I'm off the 23rd and 26th, and then again Jan 2nd. I let them know my complete year's schedule in January.
bice99 08:37 PM 10-24-2011
I'm closed during our school district's Christmas break. Spring break too. My family gets me then.
melissa ann 06:40 AM 10-25-2011
I have that I am closed friday for holidays on Saturday and Monday for holidays on Sunday. I am closed Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.
I was thinking that since our school district goes to school on Dec 23 and Jan 2, that I would be opened. Not sure yet. I am definetly taking off Dec 26 as I cook the Christmas dinner and will need a day to recoup especially with all the excitment from my own 2 young kids
SilverSabre25 06:53 AM 10-25-2011
I've basically decided to take nothing off except Thanksgiving for the rest of the year.
BusyBee 06:57 AM 10-25-2011
I am taking Friday off for Christmas Eve, and Monday off for Christmas. I also get the following Friday off for New Year's. So I only work 3 days that week.

The parents never question it and I honestly NEVER feel bad. It is in my contract that they signed. And given all of the time their kids are here and all of the things I do for them above and beyond what I need to do with little thanks, I deserve it. I'm sure you do too.
DaycareMomma 08:20 AM 10-25-2011
I finally changed my contract to state that I take off Thanksgiving day and the Friday after, paid. Then I also take off Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years day. If they land on a weekend I take the Friday before or Monday after off. So I'll have a 3 day week between Christmas and New Years. I have a family that I'm sure will throw a fit because she's one of them that gets very upset and throws a fit if I take a paid day off for a Holiday that she doesn't get paid for at her job. She'll constantly write me little notes telling me how her and her husband discussed it and realized that I'm taking off days that they don't get to take off paid... Too bad sweetie! Last year she intimidated me enough that I decided to work Christmas Eve, but NOT THIS YEAR! My back bone has grown and I'm done putting up with it! I barely take off days during the year so I deserve this!
Tags:christmas, days off, holidays, paid holidays
Reply Up