Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Understaffed and Overwhelmed
Unregistered 08:12 PM 01-24-2013
Hi all! I work at a daycare, and I love it. However, there are days where I am way under ratio with only two preschoolers, and there are days where I am way over ratio with as many as 18 to 20! By myself! I live in a state that only allows 10 preschoolers to one staff! When I tell the director or another manager I'm over ratio, they simply tell me to deal with it and don't provide me any extra help! This, unfortunately, is an often occurrence - probably two to three times a week. The infants and toddlers in the facility are usually held at ratio thankfully, but when it comes to my preschool, I am left out to dry! I don't know what to do. I'm also fairly new to this daycare, though, so I don't have as open communication with them as the other staff members do, even though I try. Should I report them (and to whom in Pennsylvania would I file a report if so) since I have tried so hard to let them know when I'm over the legal ratio with kids?
melilley 07:07 AM 01-25-2013
It is not ok for them to leave you over ratio at any time! If they don't do anything after you talk to them, you should call licensing. You don't have to give your name if you don't want to, that way they wouldn't know for sure if it was an employee or parent. Also depending on what kind of daycare you work at, often times there is someone above your director that you could talk to or at the center I used to work at there was a hotline you could call and anonymously report anything. Just remember, unfortunately if you don't do anything and something happens because you are over ratio, you could be blamed for it and possibly terminated. Good luck, I know it's never easy to report someone especially if you are new.
kitykids3 07:30 AM 01-25-2013
I would report them! You can report anonymously. That isn't to say that they probably won't figure it out and although they technically can't fire you for doing so, they may make working there difficult (although it already sounds like it is). Maybe look into some other jobs in the meantime just in case. Either way, I wouldn't want to be working there, where they don't even care to follow the law and then lay the responsibility on you.
My3cents 09:44 AM 01-25-2013
Report it. This place sounds like your going to be unhappy at because they don't take care of the staff and put you in an unsafe, against the law bind. Not worth having something happen and then a law suit because you are mandated! It doesn't matter if you are new or not. The rules are written up for a reason. We don't have to like them, but we do have to follow them

Best- Let us know how you make out
pandamom 10:59 AM 01-25-2013
That is so wrong! I don't know who to report to, but I'd find out and let them know.

Our center can be understaffed- especially now with flu season in full swing. BUT we always find way to make sure we stay in ratio. Sometimes that means that we move a kid or two to another room that's under. Or pull an extra teacher from a single ratio room. Our director and managers have even pulled room duty make sure we stay in ratio.
Tags:overwhelmed, ratio
Reply Up