Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Do You Give It?
WImom 08:57 AM 05-12-2011
I have a 2y DCB (just turned two in April) that just started on the 3rd so he's been here 4 times (Only comes twice a week). I'm not sure he's ready for all my structure. I run my childcare like a preschool so we have some free play but we do alot of activities and I feel like I'm spending all my time redirecting him. It's driving me nuts since it's like it's his first day everytime he's here.

I'm trying to figure out if it's that he's not ready or if it's a combo of that and two days a week. I was thinking of mentioning that he should come three days a week but if it doesn't get better then I have to deal with it more days...lol.

How long should I give this before I decide whether he's right for my program or not?

I have another 2.5y DCG that started the same day as him but is here 4 days a week and she has seemed to pick up alot of our routine with a little direction but not constant anymore.

On a side note: I don't allow anyone to have less then three days a week and I don't allow drop in's anymore. I've changed this after they enrolled (THey signed up in March but didn't start until May) so I was going to wait a little before I changed it for them.
ChaserT27 09:07 AM 05-12-2011
I have had kids that have taken months to fully adapt when only part time, and some that it only took a few weeks. I allow part time (even one day) and those are the ones I struggle with the most. The less they come to you, the harder and longer it takes to adjust.
The answer to this will be..how much time do you want to invest into this little one? I have spent days redirecting which can be annoying to say the least when you are trying to get other things in order. But if you really want / need this child then the effort does pay off. It just takes longer than a full timer.

If you feel the parent would be open to adding a day, then suggest it for the child's own benefit. I have done this as well. Most parents if they can afford it are open to that if they understand it is in the child's best interest.

Good luck!
wdmmom 09:11 AM 05-12-2011
I give all children 2-4 weeks to adjust...part timers usually need 4+ weeks to get in to the swing of things. I think you should at least give it 6 weeks (from start) to determine if he's capable of adjusting to your program.

I would even consider talking to mom and adding that additional day or ask her what type of daycare setting he was in previously.
WImom 09:39 AM 05-12-2011
no daycare previously - goes to grandparents Mondays and mom is home the other days (mom was home 3 days before and now it's two)

I'm thinking I can do 6 weeks. I think I will mention after next week if it's still hasn't improved at all the a third day would be good.

We did have one improvement today - he didn't cry on and off which was how it was the other three days so that is good

Thanks!
SilverSabre25 09:48 AM 05-12-2011
My policy is that the trial period is ten days of care, so this boy would get 5 weeks, basically.
cheerfuldom 11:55 AM 05-12-2011
I agree with the two weeks (10 days of care) policy. He needs time but don't drive yourself crazy trying to accommodate a kid that really isn't fitting in well. It doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong or that he is either, sometimes the program is just not the right fit. I would imagine he spends a good part of the day at grandmas just wandering around and getting into trouble or being entertained one-on-one so its no surprise that he is confused by structure or routine.
Blackcat31 12:00 PM 05-12-2011
IMHO, this is why 2 yr olds should not be in pre-school. They are simply not ready developmentally. I have a pre-school type curriculum going on here but only on a limited basis and I never include anyone under 3 unless they are mature enough to participate.

I would assume this is also why Head Start and similar programs do not accept children under 3 as well and centers split the kids up into age appropriate rooms. The maturity level between most 2 and 3 years olds is wide and vast....
Tags:2 year old, redirection, transitioning
Reply Up