Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pulled the Plug today
Unregistered 04:32 PM 02-15-2012
I am a reg, but chose to log out.

Today we were supposed to go on a fun field trip. Well around 10:30 after snack we were all getting ready to go. ALL of the kids, not just one, BUT all of them were acting up, throwing tantrums, not listening and being defiant. After a good 10 solid minutes of this, I decided to pull the plug on the Field Trip.

I have not told the parents yet, but obviously will have to. I am worried that they will be upset at me for cancelling the trip. BUT my reasoning is that if they were not listening to me while in the home, I could not risk them not listening to me while outside of the home and something going wrong. I felt that it was in the best interest of the children's safety to cancel the trip. Should I write a letter, or should I tell each parent as they arrive for pick up?

I know that the parents are going to want to know what their child was doing wrong. I really don't want to get into that and just want to let them all know that I do reserve the right to cancle any field trips for any reason.

Do you guys think that I did the wrong thing and how would you explain it to all???
bunnyslippers 04:40 PM 02-15-2012
Your house, your rules! They wouldn't want to take out just one of their children if they were acting up. I would tell the parents when they pick up, as they will probably want to know how the day went. Just be honest and explain that the whole group was unruly and you didn't feel it was a safe activity. I would also tell them that it was a natural consequence - if you act up, you miss out! I, as a parent, would be glad that you taught my child that lesson. I bet the next field trip they will fall in line a lot quicker. Good job making a tough and necessary call!
Bookworm 04:44 PM 02-15-2012
I do monthly field trip and I feel your pain. While I have never cancelled a trip due to behavior, I have had kids-to quote my mom- "take the rag off the bush" and just show out. When that happens, I let the parents know that they totally misbehaved during the trip and as a result they can't go on the next one.

Mind you that this is for extreme behavior issues. And each time it happened, I had the full support of my Director AND the parent.

I don't know how badly they were acting up but if it was as bad as you say, I agree with canceling the trip.

One more thing, was this a free trip or did the parents have to pay?
Crystal 04:45 PM 02-15-2012
to parents:

"we were having numerous behavioral issues before our scheduled FT this morning. Unfortunately, due to this, I was unable to trust that the children would follow directions and behave in ways that would maintain there safety. Therefore I was unable to take them as planned"
Unregistered 04:48 PM 02-15-2012
thanks ladies for responding.

This was a free field trip to the parents, It actually cost me $, but I really don't care about the loss of money.

Thank you for making me feel secure in my decision to not go on the FT.

I am sure that I will have one or two parents that question my decision, but as you guys reminded me, my house my rules..

UGH what a day this has been. I almost feel like the party yesterday really set us up for failure today....maybe no FT after a party.....
Unregistered 04:53 PM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
to parents:

"we were having numerous behavioral issues before our scheduled FT this morning. Unfortunately, due to this, I was unable to trust that the children would follow directions and behave in ways that would maintain there safety. Therefore I was unable to take them as planned"

Thank you, I am going to send this via email.... I will also just mention it briefly at pick up...

One quick question...I am horrible at grammar and spelling, in the last line you wrote "there safety" is it their safety or there safety???

thanks so much crystal
Crystal 05:10 PM 02-15-2012
oops...it's "their"

Good catch
Bookworm 05:16 PM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
thanks ladies for responding.

This was a free field trip to the parents, It actually cost me $, but I really don't care about the loss of money.

Thank you for making me feel secure in my decision to not go on the FT.

I am sure that I will have one or two parents that question my decision, but as you guys reminded me, my house my rules..

UGH what a day this has been. I almost feel like the party yesterday really set us up for failure today....maybe no FT after a party.....
Maybe they all had Valentine's candy for breakfast. Don't give another thought.
cheerfuldom 06:34 PM 02-15-2012
you know, we had a party yesterday (I sent home all sugary treats) and the kids were all in huge meltdowns all day today. I am guessing that it is just a post party crash
Tags:defiant, field trip - gone bad, tantrums
Reply Up