Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mr Snatchy McGrabberston
spchildcare 06:57 AM 03-30-2010
What do I do about a 2 yr old boy who is CONSTANTLY (every other minute it seems) grabbing toys from other children and running in the opposite direction smiling. It's like he loves to antagonize them! I have tried having him give back the toy to the other child and telling him "we dont take toys from friends," removing him from the group (when I am at my wits end!), taking the toy away from both of them when they are tugging at it (which sends the other one into hysterics), guiding him to find a toy he wants to play with...but 2 minutes later I find myself back in the same spot with him. What to do?!?!

I am so frustrated bc I am constantly playing referee!! He is never satisfied with what he has to eat or play with...he always wants what another child has. What is causing this and how do I stop it?
Crystal 07:08 AM 03-30-2010
I would try having the children he is taking toys from tell him "No, don't take my toy (name the toy), I don't like that!" Sometimes hearing it from the other child helps them realize they are upsetting their friend. It also helps the child who is the "victim" have some power over the situation and teaches them the appropriate way of handling "bullies". I would never take the toy away from the child who had it in the first place....not fair to them.

If that doesn't work, then the toy taker has to play alone....tell him his friends don't like that he always takes their toys and they do not want to play with him right now because of it, so he will have to play alone. Give him something to do by himself, like drawing, looking at books, building with blocks - anything he can do alone.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:20 AM 03-30-2010
I would watch him closely, so he doesnt know you are and when he grabs for the toy pluck him up without words,..and sit him by himself, not in a "time out" but the other side of the play area away from everyone else, dont talk to him,... just pluck him, sit him and walk away. Let him get up and return to the group,... but dont tell him to. Just dont tell him not to. after a few times he knows wow, if I take a toy I get nothing. No attention,.. good or bad,.. No talking, no chasing, nothing.

Maybe its become a game for him that he enjoys. remember,.. even bad attention is attention.
Tags:2 year old, discipline
Reply Up