Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Illness Policy Examples....
JJPlaycare 09:24 AM 04-12-2011
Can I please see some of your illness policies you give each of your parents?
mickey2 09:37 AM 04-12-2011
Sick Policy

For the protection of all of the children in my care as well as the health of your own child and my family, this is my sick policy. In order to protect the group as a whole, I ask that parents assist me by keeping sick children at home.

In the event that a child becomes sick while here the family will be notified and prompt pick up arrangements will be made.

If a child is sick, unable to play outdoors, and/or unable to participate in regular daily activities, alternate arrangements for care must be made.

Children with infectious illnesses can not attend.

When child may not attend daycare

Fever 99.9 degrees and higher
this includes the night before/morning of daycare ~ No fever for 24 hours without taking fever reducing medication. If you had to give your child medicine the night before then that still means they can not come to daycare the next morning.

Rash ~ Unexplained rash ~ Consult doctor/Need a note stating your child is not contagious.

Vomiting or/and Diarrhea ~ All symptoms must be gone and no Vomiting or Diarrhea for 24 hours

Strep Throat ~ Consult doctor/Need a note. Child must be on antibiotics for 24 hours and be without a fever without medication for it.

Flu/Bronchitis/Pneumonia ~ Consult doctor/Need a note stating it is ok to come back to daycare. This usually takes about 2-3 days before they can come back to daycare. Must be on antibiotics and no fever for at least 24 hours without taking fever reducing medication.

Ear Infection ~ Consult doctor/Need a note. Child must be on antibiotics and no fever for 24 hours before returning.

Conjunctivitis (red eyes with yellow discharge)/Pink Eye ~ Consult doctor/Need a note.Child must be on eye drops/antibiotics for 24 hours.

Head Lice ~ Usually takes 24 hours to treat head and house ~ When all nits have been removed and child is cleared from the doctor. Need a note.

Common Cold Policy

Children suffering from a common cold will be assessed on an individual basis.
Factors of consideration include the developmental level of your child in congruence with my ability to limit the spread of germs.
The younger your child, the more difficult it is to keep the spread of germs down. For example: hand to face contact, mouthing of toys, uncontrolled nasal discharge, uncovered sneezing and coughing etc.

(Also when caring for an ill child, the ability to provide high quality care to all of the other children is jeopardized)

A child may return when he or she is free from symptoms and no longer infectious. The child should also be well enough to actively participate throughout the day. In any case of serious or unexplainable illness, a doctor’s medical clearance may be required prior to admission back into care.

If you have any questions concerning this policy and whether your child should attend, please call me before bringing your child.

PLEASE BE COURTEOUS OF ALL CHILDREN IN MY PROGRAM, AND REFRAIN FROM BRINGING AN ILL CHILD UNTIL 24 HOURS HAVE PASSED SINCE ANY FEVER, VOMITING, DIARRHEA, OR ANY OTHER COMMUNICABLE SYMPTOMS HAVE OCCURRED.
E Daycare 09:50 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
PLEASE BE COURTEOUS OF ALL CHILDREN IN MY PROGRAM, AND REFRAIN FROM BRINGING AN ILL CHILD UNTIL 24 HOURS HAVE PASSED SINCE ANY FEVER, VOMITING, DIARRHEA, OR ANY OTHER COMMUNICABLE SYMPTOMS HAVE OCCURRED.
I added something like this to end of mine too. I was getting a little irritated by parents bringing in drugged up kids only for them to be running a 102 fever in 4hrs so I added a area that says this too:

"Please use your judgment as to whether your child is sick or not and keep into consideration the health of the other children in my care. Remember, if my child becomes ill and I have to close everyone will have to find alternate care"

I also state I reserve the right to send them home based on my judgment too.
PitterPatter 10:51 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
Sick Policy

For the protection of all of the children in my care as well as the health of your own child and my family, this is my sick policy. In order to protect the group as a whole, I ask that parents assist me by keeping sick children at home.

In the event that a child becomes sick while here the family will be notified and prompt pick up arrangements will be made.

If a child is sick, unable to play outdoors, and/or unable to participate in regular daily activities, alternate arrangements for care must be made.

Children with infectious illnesses can not attend.

When child may not attend daycare

Fever 99.9 degrees and higher
this includes the night before/morning of daycare ~ No fever for 24 hours without taking fever reducing medication. If you had to give your child medicine the night before then that still means they can not come to daycare the next morning.

Rash ~ Unexplained rash ~ Consult doctor/Need a note stating your child is not contagious.

Vomiting or/and Diarrhea ~ All symptoms must be gone and no Vomiting or Diarrhea for 24 hours

Strep Throat ~ Consult doctor/Need a note. Child must be on antibiotics for 24 hours and be without a fever without medication for it.

Flu/Bronchitis/Pneumonia ~ Consult doctor/Need a note stating it is ok to come back to daycare. This usually takes about 2-3 days before they can come back to daycare. Must be on antibiotics and no fever for at least 24 hours without taking fever reducing medication.

Ear Infection ~ Consult doctor/Need a note. Child must be on antibiotics and no fever for 24 hours before returning.

Conjunctivitis (red eyes with yellow discharge)/Pink Eye ~ Consult doctor/Need a note.Child must be on eye drops/antibiotics for 24 hours.

Head Lice ~ Usually takes 24 hours to treat head and house ~ When all nits have been removed and child is cleared from the doctor. Need a note.

Common Cold Policy

Children suffering from a common cold will be assessed on an individual basis.
Factors of consideration include the developmental level of your child in congruence with my ability to limit the spread of germs.
The younger your child, the more difficult it is to keep the spread of germs down. For example: hand to face contact, mouthing of toys, uncontrolled nasal discharge, uncovered sneezing and coughing etc.

(Also when caring for an ill child, the ability to provide high quality care to all of the other children is jeopardized)

A child may return when he or she is free from symptoms and no longer infectious. The child should also be well enough to actively participate throughout the day. In any case of serious or unexplainable illness, a doctor’s medical clearance may be required prior to admission back into care.

If you have any questions concerning this policy and whether your child should attend, please call me before bringing your child.

I think I have seen this posted before, because I borrowed some of it for my HB. It just hit on everything with no questions left! TY!
MamaBear 02:35 PM 04-12-2011
Sickness Policy:

Please do not bring your child to the daycare if he or she is sick. Please call me by 8am if you're child is not coming that day. A doctor's note will be needed to show me that your child has been cleared to be around the other children if a contagious type of sickness has occurred. I will call you to pick up your child if I believe that they are too ill to be in the daycare. Your child can return to the daycare when he or she is no longer contagious (usually 24 hours after the symptoms are completely gone and/or 24-48 hours after
antibiotics have begun depending on the illness).

Your child cannot come to daycare with a fever of 100º or higher and the child must be fever free for a minimum of 24 hours before returning to daycare. That means fever free without the aid of a fever reducing substance. Giving your child Tylenol to reduce the fever before arriving to daycare in the morning is unacceptable because the fever will reappear once again and the child will still have to be sent home. If the child has a fever of 100º or higher, I will call you to pick up your child as soon as possible.

Reasons why the child cannot come to daycare:
* Fever of 100º or higher
* Cold with the thick green/yellow nasal discharge
* Constant runny nose
* Productive cough with green/yellow discharge
* Persistent phlegmy cough
* Croup
* Strep Throat
* Gastroenteritis (Stomach Flu)
* Persistent diarrhea (even if a reaction to antibiotics)
* Vomiting
* Ringworm
* Chicken Pox
* Hand Foot Mouth Disease
* Mumps
* Impetigo
* Pink Eye
* Head Lice
* Scabies

These are just "examples" of contagious illnesses of when your child needs to stay out of daycare. Each individual case is different and may require more or less time out ~ but will always require a doctor's note to return stating that the child is totally well and non-contagious in order to return. If you feel that your child is sick with a contagious illness, please verify with a doctor that your child is clear to come to daycare before bringing him/her to the daycare. This is for the protection of your child, all other daycare children present and the daycare provider.

A doctor's note will show that you're child is cleared by a doctor, but you must abide by the daycare sick policies first, regarding when a child can or cannot come to daycare. It is my hope to keep the daycare as germ-free and sick-free as possible. Once ONE child comes to the daycare sick, he or she is exposing everyone to that illness. It can be a horrible sick cycle! So lets keep it healthy. If a child continually comes to the daycare sick and the parents do not abide by the daycare sick policies, then childcare will be terminated by the daycare provider.
Michael 03:06 PM 04-12-2011
Here are some more Sick Policy samples: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...policy+samples
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28599
Unregistered 06:02 AM 01-13-2017
Hello! I'm in the process of writing a policy due to the fact I'm sick of parents bringing sick children and getting walked all over. I've read your policy and it is spot on to exactly what I've been wanting to say. I'm basically just asking for permission to use some of your policy you have written? I wouldn't want any copyright issues.
Sumshine 06:37 AM 01-13-2017
I keep mine very simple I put on there what my rules and guidelines are, what symptoms they will be called to pick up for, and that they must be ready to pick the kid up within an hour and that they are excluded until the symptoms are free for at least twenty-four hours, they are no longer contagious, or at my discretion I make it very clear that if a child is clearly uncomfortable or is still not feeling well even if they are no longer contagious I have every right to deny care. I also put even with DR note I can still deny care and that certain illness requires a DR prior to any readmittance.

My illness report I send home with a child who gets sent home on the other hand is a different story. I state all the symptoms and copy my general illness policy stating my rules and when they can potentially be readmitted. I always staple a visual reminder of the "keep me home if..." I got off Google that follows all of my same rules and I also have a sheet of all common sickness, symptoms, etc. That I check off and every single one the child has and they all have a little summary of when it should be okay to come back. I also put at the very bottom of this report "check with me on X date in regards to your child's readmittance" to ensure it is made very clear they can't come back the next day. I also put they still must pay me regardless if their child is present or not to avoid the akward question of "So DCB was sick that one/two day(s)..." when payment is due
Unregistered 06:50 AM 01-13-2017
That's basically what I wrote. I was looking for a way to write it "professionally" without sounding really rude. I've just had enough. Plus, I just had a baby six weeks ago and I'm looking for a way to state that they need to use good judgement and be courteous regarding this. I'm not a licensed daycare facility, I watch 2 kids out of my home, plus I have my kids and family to take into consideration but I can't be super official since I'm not licensed.
Play Care 07:11 AM 01-13-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
That's basically what I wrote. I was looking for a way to write it "professionally" without sounding really rude. I've just had enough. Plus, I just had a baby six weeks ago and I'm looking for a way to state that they need to use good judgement and be courteous regarding this. I'm not a licensed daycare facility, I watch 2 kids out of my home, plus I have my kids and family to take into consideration but I can't be super official since I'm not licensed.
I would meet them at the door before they even come in and turn them away if the kids are clearly sick.
People who disrespect you to your face (sending in sick kids) are not going to follow a policy just because it's in writing
You have to firm up your back bone and put it back on them. Best of luck!
Blackcat31 08:20 AM 01-13-2017
Here is my illness policy
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing

My handbook also states:

"ABC Daycare is a well-child day care facility. This means that the occasional mild cough or cold is not grounds for exclusion, however if your child experiences any of the symptoms outlined in the illness policy, they will not be allowed to attend child care.

I understand that it can be an inconvenience for a parent to take time off of work when a child cannot attend daycare however there are reasons for the exclusion.

Any time that an ill child doesn’t feel well enough to participate comfortably in activities it can require more care than the childcare provider is able to provide without compromising the health & safety of the other children.

An ill child can also quickly spread illness to the other children in the group. This is group care and the needs of the group as a whole take priority"

There is a whole lot more written in the Health & Wellness section of my handbook but that is basically the gist of it and the beginning paragraph (which is usually all the parents read anyways...)
Tags:illness policy - samples, sick policy samples
Reply Up