Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Screaming Two year Old
LK5kids 05:28 AM 02-17-2013
I know there has been some "screamer" topics but I can't seem to find them.

I know some of the discussion has been all day screaming, nap time screaming, lunch time screaming....this is just don't do anything I don't like screaming!

I have a early two yr. old who screams at a very high pitch when anyone does something the child doesn't like. Someone takes a toy that child left and it is now 10 ft. from the child, gets too close to said child, heaven forbid if they get locked in a battle for the same toy, etc.

I know it is a dev. stage for two's to feel like everything is their property. I know two's do not share much, if at all. We do work on sharing.

It's basically the high pitch scream I have never dealt with before. I've done the inside soft voices routine, loud voice outside. This child is basically non-verbal...just gibberish. The screaming is a strong communication tool.

I am not allowed to put two yr. olds in time out. I don't have a problem with that. I don't think a time-out would be the answer anyway. I have talked with the child and asked if they could say, "Help." I'm working on the child saying help in replace of the scream. This child can't say my name.

Any other behavior changing tips? Thanks, you all are gre8t!
cheerfuldom 10:38 AM 02-17-2013
I actually think that 2 year olds can play well with others and even share, to a certain extent. Even my 18 month olds are already working on waiting, taking turns, trading toys if they want something someone else has. I think the fact that this child is basically non verbal is the big problem. By 2, most kids can say up to 50 words and put short phrases together. If he is honestly 100% non verbal AND you have reached your limit with this behavior, I would have a sit down discussion with the parents about what you are seeing and what you are needing to see progress in in order to for him to remain in your program. Has he had his 2 year checkup? Does his pediatrician know that he is still non verbal and having social issues because of it?

At this point, I really do think you need to talk the parents, assuming that you feel they would be receptive to the conversation. If you dont feel that they would be, your only options are to wait out with him or just let him go.
blandino 11:54 AM 02-17-2013
I have an almost two year old, who had a problem like this about 6 months ago. We established a "calm down corner" (full of pillows and blankets) for him to go to when he gets upset. It is NOT time out, as he can come out whenever he is done screaming - but if he is screaming, he goes in the corner and I just say "when you are all done screaming, you can come play with us again".

Of course I also emphasize that he needs to use his words, but that didn't always work. The "calm down corner" has worked really well, and sometimes he puts himself in there when he needs to calm down.
LK5kids 03:12 PM 02-17-2013
I had considered a "calm down" corner....I wasn't sure if it would be too much like time out.

I will go ahead and do this as I have been wanting to put together a comfy corner anyway. My only thing is this child just does this in very short bursts and often. So, in a way they are calm seconds after But this child might just put two and two together and stop this quickly.

Also, I'm planning on setting up some expectations ahead each day so I am proactive not reactive.

Yes, and I need to use the "use your words" reminders!

Thanks so much to both of you I appreciate it!!!
daycarediva 04:03 PM 02-17-2013
I also have concerns with lack of verbal skills. How many words does he have? Is he turning two? All of my 2's are speaking and not screaming (except one with a developmental delay), and one that is just mean and says "MINE" & snatches when he can speak full sentences.
LK5kids 04:34 PM 02-17-2013
Child is a few months over two. This child does say, "mine!" haha! I did get online and looked up common words for two's and I'm going to try and see if I can recognize any of them coming from this child.

This child talks ALL the time, I just can't understand much of it. I will pay really close attention tomorrow and see if I'm missing some words.

Thanks!
Tags:2 year old, screaming
Reply Up