Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Giving Notice on Closing-How Much Time?
MG&Lsmom 08:28 AM 08-15-2011
So if my major marketing push does not work by the end of the month, I'm probably going to be closing down. I need to make some money to support my family. I booked an interview for today for a job outside the house. It's still not enough money but it's consistent part time work during school hours with built in childcare for DS. My contract with my parents gives us both a 2 week termination notice period. Stick with that or give them more?
Cat Herder 09:08 AM 08-15-2011
I would give more, but be prepared for them to pull out immediately.

It really depends on if you can afford to give more...
MamaBear 10:32 AM 08-15-2011
I would give my families a month - but I'm sure they would find something before the month was up.
CheekyChick 10:35 AM 08-15-2011
I think a month would be fair. Some may use the entire month and some may use a week. It's kind of risky (financially), but it's (IMO) the right thing to do.
momma4many 10:37 AM 08-15-2011
Wow, I was literally just going to type this same thing, OP! I have been putting out resumes and filling out applications for a few days now. I have to make consistent money, my family is suffering. I will be the 5th daycare in my town to close this month

I have decided to give them 2 weeks. I am sure they would give me BARELY that if they were leaving, so I won't feel bad at all. I will be SO grateful to just make some money, I can't wait to be done with daycare. My family has given up so much for these parents and kids who DO NOT care about us, but EXPECT us to bend over backwards for them. None of them have any idea that we can't pay our bills and have barely enough to buy groceries.
MG&Lsmom 11:01 AM 08-15-2011
I have 2 families right now. One who is literally almost day to day. I've had dcb 3x in the last month when DCM couldn't find free care with friends & relatives. She's broke, so I've also worked for free those days.

The other gave me notice 10 days after starting that DCD was losing his new job and that they'd be taking 2w-1m off. They were in their 2 week probation and 24hr notice rule so I was fine with it. So far, they have not taken a single week off, but tell me the end of each week that they need another week.

I just need to know I will have enough money to pay our bills and for our 10th anniversary trip in Oct. (the first vacation we've ever taken since our honeymoon). My interview went well, but the only guaranteed hours she can give me are on Saturday mornings. $40 whole bucks! Not what I was looking for.

I need to tell them both that they either have to commit to care for the long term or I'm going to have to close. I really hope that I get some calls this week. I love what I do, but I have to make some money too.
MommyMuffin 11:33 AM 08-15-2011
I think 2 weeks is all you owe them.
wdmmom 01:13 PM 08-15-2011
I think this solely depends on how your contract is drawn up and the kind of raport you have with your families. Have they been with you for a long time?

My contract is 4 weeks notice. If I were to close, I would give months (probably 3 months or more). If families wanted to leave sooner than my closing date, they would still be required to provide me with a 4 weeks written notice. Payment in lieu of attendance is accepted.
jen 07:08 PM 08-15-2011
I gave all my parents about 6 weeks. Not even one family left early. I would give as much notice as possible and remind them that if the leave early that they still need to give proper notice.
MG&Lsmom 10:58 AM 08-16-2011
A conversation with DCD this morning clarified that they have no intention of send DCG for the last 2 weeks of August. Job search is not going well. I informed him that I'll be taking hours at my husband's work both weeks then and if things change for them I won't be able to change those hours. He understood and said they'd work around it and hope that I'll still have a full time opening when they need it. My job search continues, as does my own search for daycare for DS. I need a provider with special needs experience for him so I'm being that annoying DCM just shopping around.
Springdaze 11:40 AM 08-16-2011
I am getting to be in the same boat. I would give 2 weeks if I could because if you get a job, how are you going to tell your new employer you have to wait a month to start? If you say a month and then close, what happens if you dont have a job by then? Sticky situation, but your family has to eat!
Tags:closing daycare
Reply Up