Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Change in Rates
mac60 11:37 AM 09-09-2010
A family came back from maternity leave this week. I have had the 7 yr old daughter since birth. I put a note in the bag for the new rate. I am charging $120 for 1 ft and 1 schoolager. Breaks down to $85/$35, and on no school days add $5 per day, not to exceed $140 per week. I am concerned they are going to think it is too much. I will only have the schoolager after school, from anywhere from 15 min to just short of 2 hours, depending on who picks up.

This goes back to my mistake of never raising rates for families who stay with me for years, which I am grateful for, but my expenses do go up over time and I never reflect that to families that stay unless there is a change in care days/kids. So, do these rates seem fair?
ninosqueridos 11:41 AM 09-09-2010
How much are you charging for other ft kids? And how much did they used to pay you for their 7yo when the child was in your care ft years ago? Just trying to get a sense for how big the jump is and what is typical for your area...
mac60 12:03 PM 09-09-2010
For 5 years I charged them $75 for fulltime care. Then the last 2 summers I charged $80 for summer not in school. For the past 3 years I have charged $85 per week for ft care for new families coming in, but never raised their rates. My school rate has always been $35 per week.
mac60 05:47 AM 09-10-2010
I printed up a paper that said $85 for ft, $30 for schoolager, so $115 per week for a ft and a schoolager, add $5 per day for no school days/cancellations.....summer rates for 2 ft would be $140.
TGT09 06:12 AM 09-10-2010
Wow....I hope those are the going rates for you area and not you under-selling yourself. I wouldn't worry too much, that's not a huge leap ($10 for ft).
momma2girls 06:35 AM 09-10-2010
Gosh I really couldn't imagine only charging $85.00 per week for a 10 hr. day. That is $1.00 something an hr. What do you charge for a sibling then for ft?
This is so sad!!
mac60 06:58 AM 09-10-2010
It is sad, but I live in one of the lowest areas our the US for daycare rates. I am in line with other providers that I know.
ninosqueridos 07:00 AM 09-10-2010
You haven't raised your rates for them at ALL in many years so that is MORE than reasonable!! They obviously are happy with you as they've been with you for so long, and they are trusting you f/t now with their second child. Finding great care for your baby is priceless, so $10 more per week than they were used to should not be a problem. Think of it this way....will they risk it and find someone in your area who is cheaper, or pay the $10 and stick with someone they know & trust....
Good luck!
thatgagirl 09:47 AM 09-10-2010
Mac...i feel you. Going rate in my area for CENTERS is $85. I charge $75-$80. All ages.

That said, if they have been with you that long, I am sure they won't balk over $10. I have 3 families right now, and of the 3 only one is on my current rate ($80). I am planning on taking the other 2 to that rate in jan when I send out new contracts...
Tags:rate increase
Reply Up