Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vent- Why Can't You Get With The Program
daycare 08:43 AM 11-25-2014
I am on the food program, I must have set meal times in which the kids eat therefore I have a cut off time for drop off each morning. If the kids are not here by the set meal times, i can't claim there and therefore the money comes directly out of my pocket.

all children must be here by 815am to be included for breaktfat
if you are not going to be having breakfast, then drop off is 845 or after. We do this so that the children can have a distraction free meal time and this is the time that I use to set up my morning for preschool. Have been doing it this way for years. It works for everyone but this one.

DCF has issues with getting here on time each morning. I have an open window from 745-815 for drop off. DCF is always late.

Looking back at records when I was allowed to have breakfast a little later (before we moved home earlier this year) I had an open window of 8-8:30 drop off, this family was still late.

SO it looks like no matter what time I set the cut off time, this family is going to be late.

They have two kids and they decided to pull one of the kids to put them in an academy type preschool. So this is always their reasons why they can't get anywhere on time. I just say, sorry to hear that...(wish I could say, NOT MY PROBLEM)

THe thing is, is that it's not an every once in awhile that the DCF is late, it's an almost every day thing.

I did already talk to the DCM about it and of course, she was clearly angry and left in a huff.

What would you do here? I feel like no matter what I do, this family is just constantly going to be late and push the limits to suit them.

Should I bring up that I looked up past sign in and state you were late getting here at this time too??

Sorry I a venting, but could use some advice on how to close this up before leaving to the holiday.
daycarediva 09:26 AM 11-25-2014
Is she arriving late for breakfast, yet wants her child fed? I would give her two options, unless it greatly disrupted my morning. Her child can arrive at any time prior to 9am, and still be served breakfast, but her rates will reflect what the food program would have paid you had he been served on time.

OR

she feeds her child wherever and whatever she can- granola bars and bananas are good car food.

I have a family pushing my 9am cut off. It was by minutes at first. I have been waiting to start our day, but it pushes EVERYTHNG back. Today it was 14 minutes late. I went ahead and started, and she interrupted circle time. Tomorrow, I think I'll be outside with the door locked. Tonight, she is getting her warning about it.
Leigh 09:26 AM 11-25-2014
You could tell her that she either needs to feed her child before the child arrives or come with $5 cash to cover the cost of his breakfast, since you can not be reimbursed. Enforce this for enough days, and he'll probably start showing up on time.
Unregistered 09:27 AM 11-25-2014
Not understanding what the issue is... Is it that they are consistently late or that the child is missing breakfast?
If the child is not arriving in time for breakfast, then so be it. She missed breakfast.
If she is the type of kid to act miserably is she didn't get breakfast, I would ask the drop off parent if she ate yet or not. If she didn't, tell them they again missed breakfast and will now have to take their child to get some and return after she has eaten.
If the issue is just their late arrival, I don't see problems with that if you are being paid for time they aren't using.
Unregistered 09:29 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
You could tell her that she either needs to feed her child before the child arrives or come with $5 cash to cover the cost of his breakfast, since you can not be reimbursed. Enforce this for enough days, and he'll probably start showing up on time.
If the enrolled family is enrolled in the food program, I don't think we can charge them additional money to cover the meals.
daycare 09:29 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
funny thing is, this is exactly our rule....if you don't show up on time for breakfast or fail to show when expected, we will charge you 5.00.

our daycare rate reflects covering the cost of food so long as I am reimburse by the food program.. If I am not able to claim that child, then the cost is coming out of my pocket.
craftymissbeth 09:48 AM 11-25-2014
I'm a little confused, too... just to clarify, they are arriving after your breakfast time and still expecting to be served breakfast?
Leigh 09:50 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If the enrolled family is enrolled in the food program, I don't think we can charge them additional money to cover the meals.
We can't charge extra to cover meals-you're right. However, since this is outside the food program food times, it could be allowed.
Crazy8 09:58 AM 11-25-2014
easy peasy…. you are here by 8:15am or door is locked until 8:45 and child walking in after 8:45 is not eating until whenever the next meal is.

Spell it out for mom one last time and tell her effective Monday the door will be locked between 8:15 and 8:45.
daycare 11:43 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
easy peasy…. you are here by 8:15am or door is locked until 8:45 and child walking in after 8:45 is not eating until whenever the next meal is.

Spell it out for mom one last time and tell her effective Monday the door will be locked between 8:15 and 8:45.
This is what DCM was told. DCM can be a PITA. I told her that we run a preschool program 5 days a week and that she knows there is a schedule that we must stick to in order for our day to run smoothly.

DCF has been here over a year, so it's not news to their ears.

I guess the only way to get it to stop is starting 12/1 $ is attached.
Cradle2crayons 12:11 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
This is what DCM was told. DCM can be a PITA. I told her that we run a preschool program 5 days a week and that she knows there is a schedule that we must stick to in order for our day to run smoothly.

DCF has been here over a year, so it's not news to their ears.

I guess the only way to get it to stop is starting 12/1 $ is attached.
So is she trying to come in during breakfast time or after breakfast and then wanting the child fed?

I wouldn't attach money to it. I would simply refuse. I've found some parents would rather pay money than follow the rules. And personally, I don't want parents to think that anything flies as long as they pay. Of course, this is true on some instances. But not all.
Heidi 12:19 PM 11-25-2014
You're not out any money if you don't serve the meal. So, either she's there by 8:15 and dck eats with you, or she comes later, and she's been fed.

I'd ask her the first couple times. The first time she says "no, she hasn't eaten", I'd tell her "well, then, unless you think she can wait until lunch, you'll need to take her back out and feed her. Our breakfast time is over. "
daycare 12:31 PM 11-25-2014
correct, if the child is not here and misses it, then I am not out any money because I can't claim a child that is not present.

I do have in my rules that all children that are not in attendance must be fed before arriving at drop off time between 845-9am.

I guess I am just so tired of hearing the woe as me excuses of why they can't get here on time. I get it, not every one is a fit for my program and maybe I need to tell dcf that they need to look at my policies again and deiced if this still works for them or not.

I WILL not change my program for one family and I feel that this is basically what DCM is trying to get me to do.
sharlan 12:38 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
You're not out any money if you don't serve the meal. So, either she's there by 8:15 and dck eats with you, or she comes later, and she's been fed.

I'd ask her the first couple times. The first time she says "no, she hasn't eaten", I'd tell her "well, then, unless you think she can wait until lunch, you'll need to take her back out and feed her. Our breakfast time is over. "
I agree. Remind her a couple of times that breakfast is over and if the child is not fed, she needs to take said child home.

My 2nd breakfast is at 8:30 - 9, so as long as the child is there by 8:45, it counts.
daycare 02:40 PM 11-25-2014
I am thinking of sending this letter what do you think...sounds too chicken?

Dear Parent

I just wanted to follow up our conversation from this morning, regarding drop off time for Bethany. I know that you seemed stressed and I want to ask how I can help so that she can be here each morning in time for the breakfast cut off.

Please understand that I am not in a position to change the food program rules and in order for us to stay in compliance, I must enforce a cut off time for all families to drop off.

If I can help you with setting up a morning routine for the kids, I would be more than happy to help, please just let me know.

thank you for your understanding with this matter,

DCP whos going nuts.....
craftymissbeth 06:50 AM 11-26-2014

Dear Parent

I just wanted to follow up our conversation from this morning, regarding drop off time for Bethany. I know that you seemed stressed and I want to ask how I can help so that she can be here each morning in time for the breakfast cut off.

Please understand that I am not in a position to change the food program rules and in order for us to stay in compliance, I must enforce a cut off time for all families to drop off.

If I can help you with setting up a morning routine for the kids, I would be more than happy to help, please just let me know.

DCP whos going nuts.....
Is this something you have to offer because of QRIS or some other program?
Heidi 10:24 AM 11-26-2014

Dear Parent

DCP whos going nuts.....
I really think your job starts when they walk in the door. On time, late or whatever. I think you are being WAY too accommodating to a parent that is being rather disrespectful, honestly.

You've told her and told her, and it's just becoming a drama for you. You have enough to do, honey!

Stick to your guns, Daycare. Either she's there in time for breakfast or she misses out. THE END!
Reply Up