Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stye Requires Doctor's Note?
IrisStark 05:22 PM 04-18-2016
Hello! My kid got a stye and now day care requires note from doctor that states that my kid can attend a day care. The day care recently opened and they afraid of everything. But I don't want to pay co-pay and spend time to visit a doctor. Is there some rules?
Thank you in advance!
finsup 05:32 PM 04-18-2016
We all have rules But if your daycare requires it, it doesn't matter what our rules are. You could get the dr note or keep them home until it's cleared up.
Personally if it was just a stye I wouldn't worry too much over it. But if I wasn't sure that's what it was, I would require a dr's note too. Hope it clears soon! Those things hurt
MunchkinWrangler 05:35 PM 04-18-2016
If those are the rules of your daycare, then you must follow them. A stye is an infection and can spread if not treated correctly. You won't find anyone on here that will tell you not to follow what their rules of operation are. As providers we have to take everything that could possibly spread seriously. Not to mention most states require certain rules regarding the proper medical treatment for children. They are just following the rules.
Snowmom 05:38 PM 04-18-2016
Originally Posted by IrisStark:
Hello! My kid got a stye and now day care requires note from doctor that states that my kid can attend a day care. The day care recently opened and they afraid of everything. But I don't want to pay co-pay and spend time to visit a doctor. Is there some rules?
Thank you in advance!
I'm assuming this is an in-home daycare.
Have you tried talking to your provider about her/your concerns regarding the stye?

No, there are no official "rules" when it comes to what a provider can and cannot exclude for. Each provider is free to determine their own sick policies (although there are regulations that require us to exclude children with communicable diseases).

My best advice would be to communicate with your provider.

Tell her/him what your concerns are and what your course of action is regarding your child's health. If you value the relationship you and your child have with your provider, I'm sure opening the lines of communication is a better avenue than trying to find a way around their policies.
IrisStark 05:48 PM 04-18-2016
Thank you for your answer! I'll try to find the paper with their policies which I signed. All in all I think they just afraid that they may break some law or something. So I think if you give me a link for requirements to exclude kid it'll be easier for me to communicate with them. Also if you share your own policy for this question it will help me a lot with communication.
Thank you!
Blackcat31 06:31 PM 04-18-2016
Technically in my state (MN) there are no actual licensing rules or regulations that require me to exclude anyone for any illness or condition. I AM required to notify parents of any communicable and/or contagious illnesses and conditions and in some cases report such conditions to the state health dept but there is no state licensing law, rule or regulation that states exclusion from care.

Glossing over California rules, it says a contagious child must be separated from others but doesnt specify actual exclusion from care.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what your state's licensing rules say or don't say. It only matters what your provider's policies say which you agreed to follow when you signed the contract.

She could've said you were excluded on the third Thursday of every other month and you'd legally be excluded on the third Thursday of every other month if you signed the contract in agreement.

If she requires a Dr's note to come back you'll have to get one. If that isn't something you can afford to do every time she requires it then you'll need to find a provider with a more flexible illness policy.

Good luck! You can definitely try to talk with your provider but I gotta be honest though and say I'd have issues with a parent that tried to negotiate my illness policies. I try hard to be fair and logical but honestly protecting a group of kids as a whole is hard. Having to explain to parents again (I cover illness rules pretty thoroughly during the interview ) why I have the policies I do can be tiresome and frustrating.
Unregistered 06:33 PM 04-18-2016
Nobody else's policy can help you with this. Only your provider's policy can help. And frankly, our books would be 1000 pages in order to include every possible situation.
You should talk to your provider. Ask what the concern is: transmission to others, your child's discomfort or neediness beyond the norm, or care that the child care is not able to provide., etc.
My guess is that they are concerned about transmission. In order for them to research this, they would need a diagnosis by a medical professional.
There are two ways you can deal with this:
1. Go to the doctor and provide what your provider has requested
2. Stay home with your child until the medical situation is resolved
IrisStark 06:41 PM 04-18-2016
Thank you so much for your answers. Thanks to you now I know rules.
But I'm also interested in practice. About your policies for this issue. Because if it usual policy of a lot of daycares to require a doctor's note for such a small thing, there's no sense to change a provider. But if it's unusual, I would consider about changing daycare.
MunchkinWrangler 06:45 PM 04-18-2016
The best course of action would be to communicate with your provider. I personally can exclude for almost anything on a whim if I wish. Especially if I'm not sure what I'm dealing with and want a doctor to diagnose it so I can decide the best course of action. This sounds like what they are wanting to do. I wouldn't risk starting a push and pull relationship with your provider over this. I, as a parent myself, would make the trip to the dr. and get it sorted out.
Blackcat31 06:46 PM 04-18-2016
Thank you so much for your answers. Thanks to you now I know rules.
But I'm also interested in practice. About your policies for this issue. Because if it usual policy of a lot of daycares to require a doctor's note for such a small thing, there's no sense to change a provider. But if it's unusual, I would consider about changing daycare.
I don't specifically say styes but I do say "ANY undiagnosed condition that is abnormal to the child".

Styes would fall under that.
Unregistered 06:48 PM 04-18-2016
I would say it is not unusual. The common cold is the main illness that children are allowed with here, and even that has its limits.
We are expected to maintain a healthy environment for our groups of young children, so rashes need to be diagnosed, children are excluded for fevers, etc.
Baby Beluga 08:21 PM 04-18-2016
Some styes can look similar to pink eye or an eye injury (swelling)

Your provider is likely trying to protect your child, the other children in the group and himself/herself by requesting a doctor's note. I know it might be a pain for you to do this, but on the bright side it sounds like you have a diligent provider who would also have your child's best interest in mind should another child arrive with questionable symptoms.
sharlan 09:18 PM 04-18-2016
I am a small family daycare in CA and while licensing says the contagious child has to be separated, most home daycares cannot logistically do that. I have to be able to provide care for your child and the others.

I would require a visit to the dr, too.

It may be a hassle for you, but what about the provider? She has to provide for the care and safety for other children. Infections can go through a small daycare like a wildfire. We can clean and sanitize all day long, but kids share germs. Your (generic you, not your specifically) hassle can cause 6 or 7 other parents to have to take time off from work and pay co-pays to take their child to the dr after your child shared their germs.

Bottom line is what your contract states. Licensing is a very gray area in CA.
CityGarden 10:08 PM 04-18-2016
My kid got a stye and now day care requires note from doctor that states that my kid can attend a day care.
What sort of style does your child have? And what are the providers concerns?

Several years ago I visited a co-op preschool that allowed girls to wear princess dresses complete with heels but the site had an AMAZING outdoor space and there was no way for those girls to participate fully and safely. The co-op preschool ended up sued by a parent for their daughter getting hurt while wearing heels.

An old neighbor had a son who would wear the same spider man costume everyday I started to worry about the child and considered calling CPS. Luckily I reached out to the mom who confided that her son was special needs and would not go out without it so she purchased three and puts them into a wash rotation.

Both of the situations above would not have worked for my program but they are examples of WHY a policy should be in place AND respected. The second example I might have considered with a doctors note but actually I would not feel the program was right for him either.

I do have a clothing policy in my handbook.

Clothing
When dressing your children, please remember that they are in school to have fun, not to stay clean! Choose clothes that allow the child freedom to enjoy both the play equipment and the materials available for art and science projects. Help your child toward independence by selecting clothing that is MANAGEABLE for instance, elastic-waist trousers. Buttons, snaps, zippers or buckles may pose a problem. In addition, please, no open toe shoes, crocs, or slip on shoes. For playground safety, tennis shoes are best. Coats and sweaters should be clearly and permanently marked with the child’s first and last name.
Unregistered 10:57 PM 04-18-2016
They don't mean 'style', they mean a bump on the eyelid called a 'stye' ..
Thriftylady 05:11 AM 04-19-2016
I exclude if I feel something is contagious. But I am not a doctor so if I get a doctor's note saying it isn't contagious after I have excluded, I may reverse my first decision. Since we are not doctors, we count on the information from them to keep children safe. While I understand the time and expense on parents (we are going through a ton of doctor co pays right now and it is killing us), it is my job to keep all the children in my care safe.
Ariana 06:09 AM 04-19-2016
I exclude for anything other than slight clear runny nose and slight cough unless accommpanied by a DR note saying they are not contagious.

In your case I would require a dr note to confirm this is in fact a stye. If it is a stye it should go away quickly by applying a hot face cloth to the area a few times a day.

Not wanting to pay a copay is not an excuse. Kids cost money and following daycare requirements costs money as well. You would not want another child spreading a potential disease to your kid resulting in days missed from work so this is why these requirements and policies exist, to protect all the parents and children from disease outbreaks.
JackandJill 06:19 AM 04-19-2016
I have a pretty strict illness policy that details what is okay for daycare and what excludes. But I do have at the end that ultimately it is at my discretion if a child is too sick to stay, or needs a dr note confirming an illness. Even with a dr note, I can still exclude, if I think it is best for the group.

If you are unsure of the illness policy, call around, no harm in seeing whats out there! I would ask for an emailed copy of their illness policy. If you see one you like, take an interview. Daycare has to be a good fit for the family as well as the provider.
Cat Herder 08:11 AM 04-19-2016
they afraid of everything. But I don't want to pay co-pay and spend time to visit a doctor.
This is one of those *two sides to every story* things. Above is a parents side.

The providers story sounds more like "I have this parent who blows everything off. I can't afford to get sick and risk closing and losing clients. Are there some rules I can find to help me?"

Surely there is a more productive middle ground for two adults with a child's best interest in mind?
Play Care 09:36 AM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
This is one of those *two sides to every story* things. Above is a parents side.

The providers story sounds more like "I have this parent who blows everything off. I can't afford to get sick and risk closing and losing clients. Are there some rules I can find to help me?"

Surely there is a more productive middle ground for two adults with a child's best interest in mind?

Years ago I had a similar situation. Mom said it was a stye, not a big deal, etc. It turned out it was actually the Herpes virus and it caused scarring on dck's retina.
I believe it can lead to blindness if it keeps happening.
In any event I wonder if mom had taken her to be seen they could have put her on an anti-viral earlier to help reduce outbreaks and further complications.
bubblegum 12:49 PM 04-19-2016
Oregon here!

State exclusion:
(vii) skin or eye lesions or rashes that are severe, weeping or pus-filled;
CityGarden 02:15 PM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
They don't mean 'style', they mean a bump on the eyelid called a 'stye' ..
Sorry I did overlook that.... now it makes more sense.

Originally Posted by Ariana:
Not wanting to pay a copay is not an excuse. Kids cost money and following daycare requirements costs money as well. You would not want another child spreading a potential disease to your kid resulting in days missed from work so this is why these requirements and policies exist, to protect all the parents and children from disease outbreaks.
Amen I agree the copay is a poor reason. The provider is trying to ensure all of the children's health not attempting to burden you.

Originally Posted by JackandJill:
If you are unsure of the illness policy, call around, no harm in seeing whats out there! I would ask for an emailed copy of their illness policy. If you see one you like, take an interview. Daycare has to be a good fit for the family as well as the provider.
I agree with Jack and Jill but also want to add if you opt to go with a more relaxed provider with regard to illness policies do know your child could be sick more often and then you could have to miss more work days. Not saying it would happen but it could.
Tags:contagious illnesses, illness policy, stye
Reply Up