Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Bites Equals Termination?
Samiam 07:29 AM 06-26-2019
I have a 18 month old that in the last month has bitten 20 times. I am only a assistant teacher. The mom could care less and the director won't do anything unless one of the parents start shaking their wallets. So in Wisconsin is there a certain amount of times? Or is it all on daycare preference?
Cat Herder 07:31 AM 06-26-2019
You are at the mercy of the director and owner. Nothing will be done until the other parents vote with their feet and cash.
Snowmom 07:52 AM 06-26-2019
20 in a month!? Yikes.

I don't think there is any magic number. I can't believe the director wouldn't address that though. That's an awfully big liability to keep enrolled.
Josiegirl 08:30 AM 06-26-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
20 in a month!? Yikes.

I don't think there is any magic number. I can't believe the director wouldn't address that though. That's an awfully big liability to keep enrolled.
Completely agree! Yikes, that is a lot and I'm surprised the parents haven't brought it up. Is it only 1 dck that is the target or does the biter pick on everybody? I know biting happens but 20x should make a person stop and think maybe they need to bring their child someplace else, KWIM??
Samiam 09:02 AM 06-26-2019
The director/ owner only cares about the money. It's random children. The parents just tell at us (teacher and myself) we LITERALLY can't do anymore then we have. I was just wondering if I could call the state and say he has already bit more then what is the high amount or something.
Cat Herder 11:14 AM 06-26-2019
Originally Posted by Samiam:
The director/ owner only cares about the money. It's random children. The parents just tell at us (teacher and myself) we LITERALLY can't do anymore then we have. I was just wondering if I could call the state and say he has already bit more then what is the high amount or something.
Here, Each and every bite must be A) recorded, B) signed by the teacher, parent, and director, C) kept on file for two years, D) with a copy sent home with each parent.

Injury reports. Inspectors are supposed to view them and note any unusual patterns, but I have found few seem to have the ability as few have ever actually provided hands-on care to children in their careers. They also protect centers as job creators, especially if they accept subsidy. Politics wins over safety every time.

If you have the same requirements and they are not following the regulations you can definitely call in an anonymous report. Be sure you have a back-up employment plan because they will let you go. It is rare employees are not outed by the call taker.

If they are doing the appropriate paperwork and nobody cares but you, it won't end for you until this kid moves on to the next class. I don't miss working in centers.
flying_babyb 06:11 PM 06-28-2019
Can I ask how this is happening? What have you tried to prevent it? I know we have a biter and its gotten to the point where shes NOT allowed more than arms length from the teacher, ever. Its hard but thats what is working.
Tags:biting, biting in daycare, center workers, law, subsidy issues, terminate - biter, violence in child care
Reply Up