Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sippy Cups
lovemylife 06:06 AM 09-14-2013
Is there really such a thing as a leak proof sippy cup? If there is, I have yet to find it!
butterfly 06:34 AM 09-14-2013
I have some Nuk sippy cups that work great, never leak. I looked online to see if I could find a link for you. I was unsuccessful. Sorry. Mine are older so I couldn't find the exact ones I have.
Lavender 06:35 AM 09-14-2013
These don't have the best reviews for some reason, but after seeing all kids of sippy cups come through my room at the center I work at, these are really the first ones I've seen that don't leak at all. I don't find it hard to clean either.

http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Click...lock+straw+cup

I've always felt like these ones are the best of the more basic cups:

http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-First-...ytex+sippy+cup
Laurel 07:14 AM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
Is there really such a thing as a leak proof sippy cup? If there is, I have yet to find it!
Sure, Playtex are my favorite brand. If they are lying down for an extended period and full they might leak. Like if a baby throws them down and you don't find it for awhile. Otherwise, they are great and don't leak at all. I've used them for years.

I start with these:

http://www.diapers.com/p/playtex-lil...-oz-2-pk-21510 (with spout)

Then switch to these after awhile because it seems better for their teeth. Just me, the others might be fine. (without spout)

http://myfrugaladventures.com/2011/1...sippy-cups-99/

Laurel
lovemylife 08:36 AM 09-14-2013
So I may just have really bad luck with sippy cups because I am always cleaning up spilled milk and water off the floor. I will go to the store this weekend and try some of these!
Leigh 08:41 AM 09-14-2013
We use the Munchkin Click Lock for my child. For DKC's, I have two different Playtex styles. None have leaked at my house, unless I have assembled them improperly.
butterfly 11:00 AM 09-14-2013
So I may just have really bad luck with sippy cups because I am always cleaning up spilled milk and water off the floor. I will go to the store this weekend and try some of these!
I don't let kids walk around with sippys. They must use them at the table. I think that helps a lot too.
Laurel 11:26 AM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I don't let kids walk around with sippys. They must use them at the table. I think that helps a lot too.

Laurel
Cradle2crayons 11:36 AM 09-14-2013
I just use the nuby ones with the hard mouth spout and the white plastic valves. But after they are 18 months I take the valves out.

My kids ONLY get drinks at the table, so I don't have any issues here with anything getting in the floor.
Tdhmom 11:49 AM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Same here! Drinks are only allowed in the kitchen and need to be put back on the table when they are through. Of course, outside they can end up anywhere but they are responsible for bringing theirs back in.
Laurel 11:54 AM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by Tdhmom:
Same here! Drinks are only allowed in the kitchen and need to be put back on the table when they are through. Of course, outside they can end up anywhere but they are responsible for bringing theirs back in.
I just have a little table right inside the door. When they ask or I offer, they stand by the table, drink and go back out.

Laurel
Familycare71 12:02 PM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I just use the nuby ones with the hard mouth spout and the white plastic valves. But after they are 18 months I take the valves out.

My kids ONLY get drinks at the table, so I don't have any issues here with anything getting in the floor.

lovemylife 01:09 PM 09-14-2013
With my daycare children the cups are to be kept on the kitchen counter or on the table. But someone elbows it or somehow knocks it over and it leaks. My 19 month old on the other hand can be a little stinker! Getting him to keep it in the kitchen is really hard, so that is a work in progress. He is constantly thirsty and always drinking! He will leave it on the couch and it will leak or throwing it and splattering it all over the place.
Cradle2crayons 02:37 PM 09-14-2013
With my daycare children the cups are to be kept on the kitchen counter or on the table. But someone elbows it or somehow knocks it over and it leaks. My 19 month old on the other hand can be a little stinker! Getting him to keep it in the kitchen is really hard, so that is a work in progress. He is constantly thirsty and always drinking! He will leave it on the couch and it will leak or throwing it and splattering it all over the place.
All of my kids KNOW better than to leave the kitchen wi food or a cup.

Ad I only allow drinks and food at designated meal or snack times. Unless we are outside on a hot day. Then they get lots of extra water.
mamac 07:29 PM 09-14-2013
I've never used sippy cups with my kids. They went from a bottle to a covered cup with a straw and from there to an open cup. I've never had a problem with leaking even when they've been tipped over for a while. I've never like the "babying" aspect of using sippy cups for a toddler.

These are the cups that I use. They are sold as disposables but I just toss mine in the dishwasher and they hold up very well.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...&KPID=12311748

Blackcat31 07:29 AM 09-15-2013
I don't use ANY type of covered, lidded, handled or cups with straws.

I use only 5oz Dixie cups with ALL children enrolled.

Kids are allowed to drink ONLY at the kitchen table while seated.

For my non-verbal children, we either teach them to sign for water when thirsty or they simply take drinks when offered (in regular intervals between meals/snacks).
Lavender 07:37 AM 09-15-2013
My kids are all babies and only drink in high chairs, but we still get leaks. Most often it happens when they accidentally drop their cup on the ground and the stopper falls out (common with the cups with the single plastic stopper) and sometimes it happens if their cup is simply lying on it's side on their tray. They are too young to understand that it is leaking or how to prevent it.
lovemylife 07:51 AM 09-15-2013
I went out and purchased one of each! Hopefully one of them works. The big kids understand to leave cups in the kitchen but still end up spilling or knocking it over. My oldest now is 3.5. I don't trust them with Dixie cups, those would be so nice thou. Maybe when they are older.
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 09-15-2013
Originally Posted by Lavender:
My kids are all babies and only drink in high chairs, but we still get leaks. Most often it happens when they accidentally drop their cup on the ground and the stopper falls out (common with the cups with the single plastic stopper) and sometimes it happens if their cup is simply lying on it's side on their tray. They are too young to understand that it is leaking or how to prevent it.
I went out and purchased one of each! Hopefully one of them works. The big kids understand to leave cups in the kitchen but still end up spilling or knocking it over. My oldest now is 3.5. I don't trust them with Dixie cups, those would be so nice thou. Maybe when they are older.
How old are your DCK's?

I have kids 12 months to 4 yrs old.

If I had one younger than 12 months, they usually use a bottle but for anyone over 12 months I start training them with the cup, adding only one sip at a time until they've mastered tipping it correctly without spilling.

I gradually add more when they start to understand how far and fast to tip it. It does not take long for them to figure it out and use a cup like big kids.

I also don't leave cups with liquid in them sitting out. We are required to give fresh water and wouldn't be able to get away with liquids standing in a cup for more than the length of a meal/snack time.

fwiw~ I am by NO means saying that using sippy cups is wrong or bad... I just HATE them so I've figured out a way around having to use them.

One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a big kid lug around a cartoon cup filled with a drink...makes me think of those hobos with their flasks or brown paper bags....

Plus a kid who is addicted to their sippy cup is usually impossible to potty train.

I think Americans are so obsessed with eating and drinking constantly or on the go that it is sad.

Everything needs to be portable.... I don't think it's like that in other countries and I admire them for that.
Rachel 08:25 AM 09-15-2013
I am starting Blackcat's idea tomorrow. I have cups (ikea ones) that I will be using at the table. My oldest (15m) walks around with the sippy all the time. I want to start teaching them to use a cup at the table. They are between 6 & 15 months (two under 12m have a bottle). Wish me luck!
Lyss 08:28 AM 09-15-2013
I have the take and toss hard ones, they are designed to be thrown away but I wash them as it seems like a waste and a bit ridiculous to just use and toss. I hate straws and soft top ones. I haven't had issues with them leaking when knocked over but I only use them for a month or so with each kid then we're onto cups only by 14 months.
Lavender 09:40 AM 09-15-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How old are your DCK's?

If I had one younger than 12 months, they usually use a bottle but for anyone over 12 months I start training them with the cup, adding only one sip at a time until they've mastered tipping it correctly without spilling.

I gradually add more when they start to understand how far and fast to tip it. It does not take long for them to figure it out and use a cup like big kids.

I also don't leave cups with liquid in them sitting out. We are required to give fresh water and wouldn't be able to get away with liquids standing in a cup for more than the length of a meal/snack time.

fwiw~ I am by NO means saying that using sippy cups is wrong or bad... I just HATE them so I've figured out a way around having to use them.

One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing a big kid lug around a cartoon cup filled with a drink...makes me think of those hobos with their flasks or brown paper bags....

Plus a kid who is addicted to their sippy cup is usually impossible to potty train.

I think Americans are so obsessed with eating and drinking constantly or on the go that it is sad.

Everything needs to be portable.... I don't think it's like that in other countries and I admire them for that.
My youngest is 7 months, oldest is 15 months not including an 18 month old we have a waiver for because he is tiny and behind (born at 26 weeks). It would be very difficult for me to help them do one sip at a time during meal times when I am feeding as many as 8 at one time depending on the age and feeding schedule of the kids present that day. I am already the one transitioning them all from bottles to sippys and to cold milk and water. The next room transitions them to more normal cups. They don't potty train until the room following that (2 yr old room) and they are all drinking from open cups by then. I do not give drinks outside of meal times unless a child indicates they are thirsty. Most of my kids transition to the next room around 15 months.

FWIW my own kids go get water all day whenever they are thirsty. I have water bottles for them to take to school and sports (required).
lovemylife 09:49 AM 09-15-2013
How old are your DCK's?

11 months, she is also very tiny! She still wears 3 month clothing and just started crawling. 19 months (mine), 2, 3 and 3.5.
Blackcat31 10:07 AM 09-15-2013
My youngest is 7 months, oldest is 15 months not including an 18 month old we have a waiver for because he is tiny and behind (born at 26 weeks). It would be very difficult for me to help them do one sip at a time during meal times when I am feeding as many as 8 at one time depending on the age and feeding schedule of the kids present that day. I am already the one transitioning them all from bottles to sippys and to cold milk and water. The next room transitions them to more normal cups. They don't potty train until the room following that (2 yr old room) and they are all drinking from open cups by then. I do not give drinks outside of meal times unless a child indicates they are thirsty. Most of my kids transition to the next room around 15 months.

FWIW my own kids go get water all day whenever they are thirsty. I have water bottles for them to take to school and sports (required).
Like I said, I know it wouldn't work in all situations or environments but it works for me.

I serve 10-12 kids at one time and manage it fine but I am also limited on the amount of kids under age 2 I can have at one time.

Currently I have 3 under age 2 while the rest of the kids are age 2 and up.
Blackcat31 10:10 AM 09-15-2013
11 months, she is also very tiny! She still wears 3 month clothing and just started crawling. 19 months (mine), 2, 3 and 3.5.
I could see getting the 19 months and over aged kids using Dixie cups but I can see why you'd be apprehensive about training the 11 month old.

My own son used silverware and regular cups by age 9 months. He was also a tiny kid but very advanced developmentally. He walked at 6 months.

I am currently teaching both my 15 and 18 month old DCK's to use silverware and not their hands on a full time basis. It's hard, time consuming and frustrating at times but I'd rather teach them now then later...
Lavender 10:28 AM 09-15-2013
Like I said, I know it wouldn't work in all situations or environments but it works for me.

I serve 10-12 kids at one time and manage it fine but I am also limited on the amount of kids under age 2 I can have at one time.

Currently I have 3 under age 2 while the rest of the kids are age 2 and up.
To me it makes sense to just go straight to the kind of cup they will be on eventually if you are able to help each one master it. I probably also should have said that the center I work at only provides dixie cups. Anything the kids use before that is chosen and provided by the parents. I'm usually working with one or two kids who are just working on table food and I'm probably feeding baby food too along with taking care of all the normal eating kids as well. It is shocking to me how many parents continue to use warm bottles at home and expect me to get their kid off a bottle and on cold milk so they can move up to the next room. I suppose it is easier for them having me do all the hard work for them.
Lavender 10:30 AM 09-15-2013
I could see getting the 19 months and over aged kids using Dixie cups but I can see why you'd be apprehensive about training the 11 month old.

My own son used silverware and regular cups by age 9 months. He was also a tiny kid but very advanced developmentally. He walked at 6 months.

I am currently teaching both my 15 and 18 month old DCK's to use silverware and not their hands on a full time basis. It's hard, time consuming and frustrating at times but I'd rather teach them now then later...
Wow, your son walked really early! I thought my oldest was an early walker at 8 months.

I'm doing silverware with my older kids too. It's really easy to tell which kids are given them at home too and which are not.
Blackcat31 01:12 PM 09-15-2013
Wow, your son walked really early! I thought my oldest was an early walker at 8 months.

I'm doing silverware with my older kids too. It's really easy to tell which kids are given them at home too and which are not.
Yeah he was kind of a "different" kind of kid from the get go.....he stopped napping at the same time too.

He was booted from two different family daycares and one center before I decided to open my own.

He was the kid we all vent about here but not because of parents...he was just a tough kid.....he is 22 now and I think was just not cut out to be a kid....his friends have always been 10 or so yrs older than him his whole life.

about the silverware....TOTALLY can tell who gets to use it at home and who doesn't! I personally think the earlier they are introduced to it the better and easier.
Cradle2crayons 03:40 PM 09-15-2013
Yeah he was kind of a "different" kind of kid from the get go.....he stopped napping at the same time too.

He was booted from two different family daycares and one center before I decided to open my own.

He was the kid we all vent about here but not because of parents...he was just a tough kid.....he is 22 now and I think was just not cut out to be a kid....his friends have always been 10 or so yrs older than him his whole life.

about the silverware....TOTALLY can tell who gets to use it at home and who doesn't! I personally think the earlier they are introduced to it the better and easier.
My three sibling set.... When they started here, one just turned two the other had just turned three. Neither one had a clue how to use silver wear.
TwinKristi 10:13 AM 09-16-2013
These don't have the best reviews for some reason, but after seeing all kids of sippy cups come through my room at the center I work at, these are really the first ones I've seen that don't leak at all. I don't find it hard to clean either.

http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Click...lock+straw+cup

This is what I use. They make a sippy spouted one as well and they're fairly inexpensive as well. $2.50ea at Target? I have one boy who can't use a straw well yet and one who can't use a sippy spout well, only a straw so these work well!!
renodeb 11:34 AM 09-16-2013
I love the Playtex double handled ones. Esp when there younger and just starting to use a sippy. When they don't need the handles anymore, Imove them to one that doesn't have handles. I guess Im different than most. I have them use a sippy as long as possible. Usually about 3-6 months before they go off to preschool I change then to a cup with no lid. Far less mess that way.
lovemylife 11:39 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by renodeb:
I love the Playtex double handled ones. Esp when there younger and just starting to use a sippy. When they don't need the handles anymore, Imove them to one that doesn't have handles. I guess Im different than most. I have them use a sippy as long as possible. Usually about 3-6 months before they go off to preschool I change then to a cup with no lid. Far less mess that way.
I agree! I want to use sippy cups as long as possible. I already busy and constantly doing something. I don't want to have to clean up spilled drinks all the time.
Tags:sippy cup, sippy cups
Reply Up