Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holiday Reminder
Unregistered 12:38 PM 11-10-2014
I'm going to put out a reminder today for the parents to remind them of the days we will be closed for the holidays. do you think it would make people mad if I took the 26th of December off? I didn't know it was a Friday this year. I hate to close for Christmas and then open for a day it just seems stupid to be off. what do you all think???
Blackcat31 12:40 PM 11-10-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm going to put out a reminder today for the parents to remind them of the days we will be closed for the holidays. do you think it would make people mad if I took the 26th of December off? I didn't know it was a Friday this year. I hate to close for Christmas and then open for a day it just seems stupid to be off. what do you all think???
Most the daycares I know are closed from December 24 THROUGH January 2 so I doubt any families will be upset...

It's also the time of year where a lot of family members are off/around to pitch in and help.
Unregistered 12:45 PM 11-10-2014
I think I will close the 26th if I don't I'll have at least 5 out of the 12 kids here. ugh then news years is odd this year too UGH!
HelloSunshine 01:26 PM 11-10-2014
They have no reason to be upset, unless maybe you takes a lot of days off days off throughout the year. And they especially can't be upset if you do not charge for the days you take off. I have Christmas and Boxing day off every year. The next week I have New yrs day and the next day and I took Jan 2nd (Friday) off. Yay, 2 four day weekends in a row! I figured I'd earned at least that since for the whole 2014 year I will have only taken 8 days off.
e.j. 02:49 PM 11-10-2014
It's possible many, if not most, of your dc parents will have the day off, anyway. Many businesses have floating holidays that they use for this kind of thing. They don't want to shut down for the holiday only to reopen the next day only to shut down for the weekend. If you put something out today, you're giving those parents who have to work that Friday plenty of time to make other child care arrangements.
taylorw1210 04:42 AM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I took the 24-26 off for Christmas, paid. No one has said anything. However I have not put out reminders yet, so I guess that could change when I do.

I am debating taking off the 24th - 2nd next year. For the providers who do this, do you keep the holidays paid and pro-rate for the days you've taken off that are not holiday? Or do you consider the entire time vacation?
e.j. 10:33 AM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
I took the 24-26 off for Christmas, paid. No one has said anything. However I have not put out reminders yet, so I guess that could change when I do.

I am debating taking off the 24th - 2nd next year. For the providers who do this, do you keep the holidays paid and pro-rate for the days you've taken off that are not holiday? Or do you consider the entire time vacation?
I always take the week between Christmas and New Year's off. The holidays are paid and the rest of the time is unpaid vacation time for me since I generally take vacation/sick time off without pay.
Cradle2crayons 10:41 AM 11-11-2014
I take off the 24 and 25 of December...the Saturday before Christmas ...and thanksgiving day only.
Christina72684 06:59 AM 11-12-2014
This year we are closing Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and making the 26th optional. We have 26 kids between 2 daycares so we said we would only open one of them on Friday and only charge for that day if they come (they do pay for the 24th and 25th). We only close a total of 8 days a year so if anyone complains then too bad lol
Reply Up